What Silent Film Related Books Have You Purchased or Read?

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Lonesome Luke

What Silent Film Related Books Have You Purchased or Read?

PostFri Mar 10, 2017 8:21 pm

I thought that maybe I wasn't the only one buying or reading books on silent film, so I decided to start a thread on this. (I'm not sure, but I think I remember seeing a thread where people posted pictures of their books once. Come to think of it — I may do that later.)

A-Z of Silent Film Comedy: An Illustrated Companion, by Glenn Mitchell, is my latest purchase. I saw this book at a book store a while back, along with the Laurel and Hardy one, but passed on them, choosing to buy the ones on Chaplin & The Marx Brothers instead. Later, I had second thoughts about not buying it, but unfortunately, returned to see that it had been sold out. So, I'm glad I found a used copy on Amazon.ca that was in good shape at $11.45 (plus $6.49 for shipping and handling). I'm sure I payed less for it now, than I would have, back then. So far, I've only read the Forward and the Introduction, but noticed that the author thanked a Steve Rydzewski, "for further assistance with stills". (Now, where have I heard that name before? :wink:). Right now, I'm still reading the Ben Turpin book, so this will have to wait for later. Anyway, I scanned the cover of my book, because the ones on line weren't very clear.

Last edited by Lonesome Luke on Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Roots

Re: What Silent Film Related Books Have You Purchased or Rea

PostSat Mar 11, 2017 1:11 pm

We did have threads on film books a few years ago, but they fell by the wayside. You can probably dig them up by doing a search, but that would take you a long time, because reviews and recommendations are scattered throughout the entire site. (See, for example, my comments on the Pola Negri book in another current thread.)

That Mitchell book is a gem, aside from the author's British approach. I have his other encyclopedias too and they are all pretty good. There's some overlap among them, so you don't have to read all the entries in every book.

Jim

Lonesome Luke

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 3:05 pm

Jim Roots wrote:We did have threads on film books a few years ago, but they fell by the wayside.

I probably read those threads, but at the time I was only buying books in book stores. So, I'd miss out on hard to find books. Now I'm making up for lost time; I'm buying all the books I've ever always wanted. I'm even seeing books I want go for a penny on Amazon (plus shipping of course) which is great.

I just bought a book on Amazon that I'd never heard of: Buster Keaton: Interviews. It's from a series called Conversations with Filmmakers. (There's another one with Chaplin I don't have.)
Buster Keaton: Interviews
by Kevin W Sweeney

"Buster Keaton: Interviews collects interviews from the beginning of his career in the 1920s to the year before his death. The pieces here provide a critical perspective on his acting and cinematic techniques. Although the collection begins in the 1920s, at the height of Keaton's career, they also give insight on his work in Hollywood and television throughout the 1950s and 1960s. Including pieces by Studs Terkel and Rex Reed, as well as a French interview that has never before appeared in English, the book is a valuable resource on one of cinema's early geniuses."

I never mentioned that I received the Nothing on the Stage Is Permanent: The Harry Langdon Scrapbook. (Now I know why the shipping was so expensive, they used First Class Mail. I would have been more than happy to wait a little longer to save a few bucks.) Well, the verdict is in, and it's a great book. Lots of rare pictures, and I love seeing those movie posters in glorious color. They should put out more of these scrapbooks (besides the Charley Chase one). I'd like to see a book for Larry Semon, Lloyd Hamilton, Ben Turpin, Roscoe Arbuckle and Max Linder (maybe they can even get Maud Linder to do that one). I'd buy those, that's for sure! The only complaint I have is the binding. One or two of the pages got loose in the middle. I could probably pull them out easily if I wanted. I wonder if I'm the only one whose had that problem?

Jim Roots

PostTue Mar 14, 2017 6:08 am

The Chaplin interviews book is well worth getting. It includes the complete version of many articles cited in the Chaplin biographies such as David Robinson's, so you can finally read quotations in context.

I haven't had any problems with the Langdon and Chase scrapbooks, but then I'm one of those weird book obsessives who refuses to crack spines, fold creases, bend covers, or do anything else that might reduce a book's physical perfection. And yet I still manage to read 'em!

Jim

maliejandra

PostWed Mar 15, 2017 6:24 am

Jim, I'm the same way! I hate damaging a book and usually take dust covers off my books while I'm reading them so I don't muss them. I just read Carleton Carpenter's book and he said, "...they recognized my deep love and supreme awe of books. Even today, I can read a paperback and no one would be able to tell it'd been touched."

Some silent film books that I've enjoyed:
The Parade's Gone By by Kevin Brownlow
Mary Pickford Rediscovered by Kevin Brownlow
Speaking of Silents by William Drew
Dangerous Curves Atop Hollywood Heels: The Lives, Careers, and Misfortunes of 14 Hard-Luck Girls of the Silent Screen by Michael Ankerich
Clara Bow: Runnin' Wild by David Stenn

Lonesome Luke

PostThu Mar 16, 2017 7:18 pm

Jim Roots wrote:
Lonesome Luke wrote:The only complaint I have is the binding [for The Harry Langdon Scrapbook]. One or two of the pages got loose in the middle. I could probably pull them out easily if I wanted. I wonder if I'm the only one whose had that problem?

I haven't had any problems with the Langdon and Chase scrapbooks, but then I'm one of those weird book obsessives who refuses to crack spines, fold creases, bend covers, or do anything else that might reduce a book's physical perfection. And yet I still manage to read 'em!

Well, then, you would have been a little discouraged. The book had a very small nick on the back cover, and some dusty prints on the front cover (which are gone now, I think). When you buy a book at a bookstore you can go through them and pick the nicest one (usually at the bottom of the pile). That's the downside to letting someone else pick your book for you. Just to give you an idea of how obsessive I am, as soon as I received Nothing on the Stage Is Permanent: The Harry Langdon Scrapbook and Four of the Three Musketeers: The Marx Brothers on Stage, I made a cover for the books using extra large freezer bags because they are such beautiful books, and I wanted to keep them that way. I've never done that before, but I've always been very careful with new books. All I did was carefully read the Langdon book, but I left it open longer on pages 89 and 90 because I wanted to read the Heart Trouble publicity on both pages. It's probably just a fluke then, but I've read some of my hardcover books over and over again, without a problem.

Jim Roots wrote:The Chaplin interviews book is well worth getting. It includes the complete version of many articles cited in the Chaplin biographies such as David Robinson's, so you can finally read quotations in context.

The Chaplin book only has 150 pages, while the Keaton one has 242 (with no pictures, so I imagine the Chaplin one doesn't have any either). I'll get it one day, when I can get it for a good price. Twenty-six bucks is still a bit much for a 150 page book (with no pics to boot).
maliejandra wrote:I hate damaging a book and usually take dust covers off my books while I'm reading them so I don't muss them. I just read Carleton Carpenter's book and he said, "...they recognized my deep love and supreme awe of books. Even today, I can read a paperback and no one would be able to tell it'd been touched."

Removing the dust cover while reading a book is a good idea. I'll do that next time (unless I make a cover with those freezer bags). I'm also very careful with paperback books. I stuck all my new ones on a shelf far away so I don't damage them. The Turpin book I'm reading now, still looks brand new.
maliejandra wrote:Some silent film books that I've enjoyed:
The Parade's Gone By by Kevin Brownlow
Mary Pickford Rediscovered by Kevin Brownlow
Speaking of Silents by William Drew
Dangerous Curves Atop Hollywood Heels: The Lives, Careers, and Misfortunes of 14 Hard-Luck Girls of the Silent Screen by Michael Ankerich
Clara Bow: Runnin' Wild by David Stenn

The Parade's Gone By by Kevin Brownlow is a great book. I've read it over and over again. As you can see, my copy is well worn, but it wasn't in great shape when I bought it, either.

Speaking of books, I just bought a slightly used copy of The Mishaps of Musty Suffer DVD on Amazon.com, which also included the Companion Guide! At first the price was $16.22 + $14.95 for shipping, but I e-mailed the guy, and suggested that the shipping was too high, that it would probably only cost him about $9.50. He checked with the post office, and sure enough, it came out to exactly $9.50. However, since he couldn't lower the postage, he lowered the price to $11.00, for a total of $25.95 ($35.13 CAN) with shipping.

I was expecting a small pamphlet. Turns out, the book is bigger, and nicer, than I thought it would be; well worth the price. The DVD, also looks amazing. The surface is very glossy and professionally done. I'd like to know how they make their DVD-Rs, do they use an inkjet printer, and if so, what kind of DVDs do they use? (I'm thinking WaterShield glossy white inkjet DVDs.) I have a printer that prints on DVDs, CDs and Blu-rays, but I don't have any glossy discs yet.

The Mishaps of Musty Suffer: DVD Companion Guide
by Steve Massa

Companion guide to the DVD "The Mishaps of Musty Suffer" with information about the films, their production and distribution history, bios on the cast, and a complete detailed filmography, plus never-before-seen production stills and images. Written by renowned film historian Steve Massa (Lame Brains and Lunatics, BearManor 2013), the companion guide fits inside the DVD case for handy reference.

Here's a picture of most of the big books I have — on that shelf. It doesn't include the newer ones, yet. I also have quite a few pocket books, somewhere else.

Smari1989

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 12:34 pm

The good thing with the Keaton Interviews-book vs the Chaplin one is that, in addition to being larger, the Keaton interviews are for the most part done late in his life by "serious" interviewers, whereas the Chaplin-interviews tend to be more of the "fan magazine" variety (with a couple of exceptions). On the other hand, I found the Keaton-book incredibly repetitive at times; the content of the Chaplin-book is more "varied" as it spans literally his entire film career. Both books are essential to fans, of course.

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostSat Mar 18, 2017 3:05 pm

Just blew £2.80 on Yon Barna's book on Eisenstein...

Harlowgold

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 3:32 pm

maliejandra wrote:Jim, I'm the same way! I hate damaging a book and usually take dust covers off my books while I'm reading them so I don't muss them. I just read Carleton Carpenter's book and he said, "...they recognized my deep love and supreme awe of books. Even today, I can read a paperback and no one would be able to tell it'd been touched."
]

I was that way too until I found those dust jackets were far easier to dent and damage when off the books as you read if you don't carefully place them away so nothing is going to fall on them and it's too easy not to immediate put it back on after you put the book down. I always try to keep my books in as perfect shape as possible but time and fragile spines will often win out. I always try to get the best possible condition with used books but I'm not going to pass up a rare title dirt cheap because it's missing a dust jacket, is an ex-library or is in less than great shape. I just recently bought a copy the gorgeous photo book GRAND ILLUSIONS for only a buck, the dust jacket was pretty tattered and there was a small stain on the spine. I just hacked it up for the photos I wanted, trimming the edge on the pages with that spine stain, and ended up with a ton of gorgeous photos of Gish, Swanson, Cooper, Stanwyck, Davis, Chaplin, Valentino, Pickford, Gaynor, Mae Murray, Colbert, Lombard, Hayworth, Lamarr, Lamour, the Talmadges, et al- many 9x11 - for about a penny each. I know there are some book prudes who insist on never cutting a book (a stupid philosophy , after all if you can tear up a house for remodeling or salvaging why not a book?) but when something is in mediocre or worse condition why not make the best of it?

Harlowgold

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 3:36 pm

Lonesome Luke wrote:I thought that maybe I wasn't the only one buying or reading books on silent film, so I decided to start a thread on this. (I'm not sure, but I think I remember seeing a thread where people posted pictures of their books once. Come to think of it — I may do that later.)

A-Z of Silent Film Comedy: An Illustrated Companion, by Glenn Mitchell, is my latest purchase. I saw this book at a book store a while back, along with the Laurel and Hardy one, but passed on them, choosing to buy the ones on Chaplin & The Marx Brothers instead. Later, I had second thoughts about not buying it, but unfortunately, returned to see that it had been sold out. So, I'm glad I found a used copy on Amazon.ca that was in good shape at $11.45 (plus $6.49 for shipping and handling). I'm sure I payed less for it now, than I would have, back then. So far, I've only read the Forward and the Introduction, but noticed that the author thanked a Steve Rydzewski, "for further assistance with stills". (Now, where have I heard that name before? :wink:). Right now, I'm still reading the Ben Turpin book, so this will have to wait for later. Anyway, I scanned the cover of my book, because the ones on line weren't very clear.

You actually got a bargain as I sold a used (but one-owner near mint) copy of this book for $25 or more several years ago on ebay. This book wasn't published in the US (although some stores sold imported copies) which makes it more desirable to a lot of collectors. I wasn't that fond of it although it was nice to see some minor supporting players get something of a writeup.

Lonesome Luke

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 10:54 pm

Harlowgold wrote:
Lonesome Luke wrote:Image

A-Z of Silent Film Comedy: An Illustrated Companion
, by Glenn Mitchell, is my latest purchase. I saw this book at a book store a while back, along with the Laurel and Hardy one, but passed on them, choosing to buy the ones on Chaplin & The Marx Brothers instead. Later, I had second thoughts about not buying it, but unfortunately, returned to see that it had been sold out. So, I'm glad I found a used copy on Amazon.ca that was in good shape at $11.45 (plus $6.49 for shipping and handling). I'm sure I payed less for it now, than I would have, back then. So far, I've only read the Forward and the Introduction, but noticed that the author thanked a Steve Rydzewski, "for further assistance with stills". (Now, where have I heard that name before? :wink:). Right now, I'm still reading the Ben Turpin book, so this will have to wait for later. Anyway, I scanned the cover of my book, because the ones on line weren't very clear.

You actually got a bargain as I sold a used (but one-owner near mint) copy of this book for $25 or more several years ago on ebay. This book wasn't published in the US (although some stores sold imported copies) which makes it more desirable to a lot of collectors. I wasn't that fond of it although it was nice to see some minor supporting players get something of a writeup.

I know. I checked the price of the The Chaplin Encyclopedia on the back cover. It cost $29.95 plus at least 7% more with tax at the time. Add to that, The Marx Brothers Encyclopedia; that's another 30 something bucks. That's why I passed on the Laurel and Hardy Encyclopedia and A-Z of Silent Film Comedy; not enough mula.

This is my latest hardcover (and in "very good" condition) purchase on Amazon for only a buck (+ $6.49 natch). I know Paul Merton from his excellent BBC 4 series on Keaton, Lloyd, Chaplin and Laurel and Hardy, but who knew he'd written a book on silent comedy. I didn't; but I'm glad he did; looking forward to this.

Silent Comedy
by Paul Merton

On the surface it may seem slightly surprising that a master of verbal humour should also be a devotee of silent comedy, but Paul Merton is completely passionate about the early days of Hollywood comedy and the comic geniuses who dominated it. His knowledge is awesome - as anyone who watched his BBC 4 series Silent Clowns or attended the events he has staged nationwide will agree - his enthusiasm is infectious, and these qualities are to be found in abundance in his book.

Starting with the very earliest pioneering short films, he traces the evolution of silent comedy through the 1900s and considers the works of the genre's greatest exponents - Buster Keaton, Charlie Chaplin, Laurel and Hardy and Harold Lloyd - showing not only how each developed in the course of their career but also the extent to which they influenced each other. At the same time, Paul brings a comedian's insight to bear on the art of making people laugh, and explores just how the great comic ideas, routines, gags and pratfalls worked and evolved. His first book for ten years, this is destined to be a classic.

Calling all female (and male) silent film lovers! Comic Venus: Women and Comedy in American Silent Film is a new book coming out on Jan 8, 2018 (and Dec 4 2017 on Amazon.ca), about the woman in comedy in silent film! It's part of the series Contemporary Approaches to Film and Media Series.

Comic Venus: Women and Comedy in American Silent Film
by Kristen Anderson Wagner

For many people the term "silent comedy" conjures up images of Charlie Chaplin's Little Tramp, Buster Keaton's Stoneface, or Harold Lloyd hanging precariously from the side of a skyscraper. Even people who have never seen a silent film can recognize these comedians at a glance. But what about the female comedians? Gale Henry, Louise Fazenda, Colleen Moore, Constance Talmadge-these and numerous others were wildly popular during the silent film era, appearing in countless motion pictures and earning top salaries, and yet, their names have been almost entirely forgotten. As a consequence, recovering their history is all the more compelling given that they laid the foundation for generations of funny women, from Lucille Ball to Carol Burnett to Tina Fey. These women constitute an essential and neglected sector of film history, reflecting a turning point in women's social and political history. Their talent and brave spirit continues to be felt today, and Comic Venus: Women and Comedy in American Silent Film seeks to provide a better understanding of women's experiences in the early twentieth century, and to better understand and appreciate the unruly and boundary-breaking women who have followed.

The diversity and breadth of archival materials explored in Comic Venus illuminate the social and historical period of comediennes and silent film. In four sections, Kristen Anderson Wagner enumerates the relationship between women and comedy, beginning with the question of why historically women weren't seen as funny or couldn't possibly be funny in the public and male eye, a question that persists even today. Wagner delves into the idea of women's "delicate sensibilities," which presumably prevented them from being funny, and in chapter two traces ideas about feminine beauty and what a woman should express versus what these comedic women did express, as Wagner notes, "comediennes challenged the assumption that beauty was a fundamental component of ideal femininity." In chapter three, Wagner discusses how comediennes such as Clara Bow, Marie Dressler, and Colleen Moore used humor to gain recognition and power through performances of sexuality and desire. Women comedians presented "sexuality as fun and playful, suggesting that personal relationships could be fluid rather than stable." Chapter four examines silent comediennes' relationships to the modern world and argues that these women exemplified modernity and new womanhood. The final chapter of Comic Venus brings readers to understand comediennes and their impact on silent-era cinema, as well as their lasting influence on later generations of funny women.

Comic Venus is the first book to explore the overlooked contributions made by comediennes in American silent film. Those with a taste for film and representations of femininity in comedy will be fascinated by the analytical connections and thoroughly researched histories of these women and their groundbreaking movements in comedy and stage.

Jim Roots

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 6:19 am

Harlowgold wrote:
maliejandra wrote:Jim, I'm the same way! I hate damaging a book and usually take dust covers off my books while I'm reading them so I don't muss them. I just read Carleton Carpenter's book and he said, "...they recognized my deep love and supreme awe of books. Even today, I can read a paperback and no one would be able to tell it'd been touched."
]

I was that way too until I found those dust jackets were far easier to dent and damage when off the books as you read if you don't carefully place them away so nothing is going to fall on them and it's too easy not to immediate put it back on after you put the book down.

I've often removed dust covers to read the book, but then I noticed the moisture from my fingers was leaving smudges on the unprotected hard covers. Ya can't win!

Jim

Frederica

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 10:44 am

Jim Roots wrote:
Harlowgold wrote:[I was that way too until I found those dust jackets were far easier to dent and damage when off the books as you read if you don't carefully place them away so nothing is going to fall on them and it's too easy not to immediate put it back on after you put the book down.

I've often removed dust covers to read the book, but then I noticed the moisture from my fingers was leaving smudges on the unprotected hard covers. Ya can't win!

Jim

You win when the light bulb goes off over your head and you shout "EUREKA! I don't care!" :wink: But until you reach that point, brodarts will keep your book covers unripped and unfaded.
Fred
"Every revelation you make is an illusion; so far, no one has succeeded in knowing you. Your white pumps literally go with any outfit."
Kim Kierkegaardashian
http://www.nitanaldi.com"
http://www.facebook.com/NitaNaldiSilentVamp"

chrisdr

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 11:08 am

I found a gem on Ebay for $20. A book on all of the Talmadge Sisters written by their mother dated 1924.

Jim Roots

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 11:22 am

chrisdr wrote:I found a gem on Ebay for $20. A book on all of the Talmadge Sisters written by their mother dated 1924.

Found it in the fiction department, right?

Jim

R Michael Pyle

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 2:26 pm

My brother-in-law sent me the 1924 Hollywood Bluebook. Exceptional in its own way, an amazing book. I own a similar (but not a Bluebook per se) book from 1937. By the way, at the back end of the 1924 Bluebook is a sort of inscription which reads[all in small case] "sincerely, eva pierangeli". I looked up the name on the internet and ran across a lady by that name in San Francisco, born in 1914. My brother-in-law lived in SanFran for years and years; probably found the book there. I was interested in the name only because of a possible connection in some way with Pier Angeli, the actress, whose birthright name was Anna Maria Pierangeli. Anybody have any clue as to a possible connection? Pier Angeli was born in Sardinia, Italy in 1932, years past Eva Pierangeli and also [obviously] past the 1924 Bluebook.

Lonesome Luke

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 8:06 pm

Frederica wrote:
Jim Roots wrote:I've often removed dust covers to read the book, but then I noticed the moisture from my fingers was leaving smudges on the unprotected hard covers. Ya can't win!

You win when the light bulb goes off over your head and you shout "EUREKA! I don't care!" :wink: But until you reach that point, brodarts will keep your book covers unripped and unfaded.

Like I said. Except, instead of buying them at Brodarts, make your own covers to protect your books. All you need is scotch tape and extra large (if the book is big) all purpose freezer bags. If you buy a box of 50, they'll last you a long time, and the money saved from not having to buy book covers, can be used instead, to buy more books. And once you've read the book, you can always remove the cover. "One nickle carefully used, can last a family a lifetime..."

These are the only books I've covered with plastic, so far. I bought The Marx Bros. Scrapbook a few weeks ago for only $2.50 (for a total of $8.99) on Amazon! I'm glad I could finally trade in my pocketbook edition for a hardcover one.

Well, I received my first books on Chaplin today. The first one is Chaplin: The Tramps Odyssey. It was supposed to be in very good condition, but it looks practically new! For this hardcover book, I payed a dollar plus shipping on Amazon! A pretty good deal, if I do say so myself.

Chaplin: The Tramp's Odyssey
by Simon Louvish

An Everyman who expressed the defiant spirit of freedom, Charlie Chaplin was first lauded and later reviled in the America that made him Hollywood’s richest man. He was a figure of multiple paradoxes. Simon Louvish's new book, following his five major biographies of comedy's classic stars, from W.C. Fields to Laurel and Hardy and Mae West, looks afresh at the "mask behind the man."

Louvish charts the tale of the Tramp himself through his films, from the early Mack Sennett shorts through the major features (The Gold Rush, City Lights, Modern Times, The Great Dictator, et al.). He retrieves Chaplin as the iconic London street kid who carried the "surreal" antics of early British music hall triumphantly onto the Hollywood screen. Louvish also looks anew at Chaplin's and the Tramp's social and political ideas--the challenge to fascism, defiance of the McCarthyite witch hunts, eventual "exile," and last mature disguises as the serial killer Monsieur Verdoux and the dying English clown Calvero in Limelight.

This book is an epic journey, summing up the roots of comedy and its appeal to audiences everywhere, who reveled in the clown's raw energy, his ceaseless struggle against adversity, and his capacity to represent our own fears, foibles, dreams, inner demons and hopes.

The other Chaplin book is a new hardcover copy of Charlie Chaplin: A Bio-Bibliography. That one was $5.39 + shipping, which is pretty good considering most of the ones on Keaton, Lloyd, Arbuckle etc. go for at least 60 something dollars in used condition on Amazon.ca. The Chaplin one, is the only inexpensive one available, but I'll be keeping an eye out for the others.

Charlie Chaplin: A Bio-Bibliography
by Wes D. Gehring

"Gehring's biobibliography of Charlie Chaplin is the work of a mature scholar fully familiar and at ease with his subject matter. Although the work is several distinct pieces, these parts work together to create a satisfying whole. ... Each of these sections is well done--interesting to read and complete. The biography is as good a short introduction to Chaplin's life and films as has been published. The bibliographical essay ... offers clear and reliable evaluations of the works considered. The filmography carefully lists everyone involved in each Chaplin film. This volume will be useful to both advanced scholars and undergraduates seeking an introduction to Chaplin and his works."-Choice
Last edited by Lonesome Luke on Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Daniel Eagan

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 9:49 am

Yes, nothing more encouraging to a writer than seeing all your work going for a buck on Amazon.

Frederica

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 2:12 pm

Lonesome Luke wrote:Like I said. Except, instead of buying them at Brodarts, make your own covers to protect your books. All you need is scotch tape and extra large (if the book is big) all purpose freezer bags. If you buy a box of 50, they'll last you a long time, and the money saved from not having to buy book covers, can be used instead, to buy more books. And once you've read the book, you can always remove the cover. "One nickle carefully used, can last a family a lifetime..."

Not to be stroppy about it, but be careful about those freezer bags--they might not be made of archival-grade materials, and scotch tape is definitely not. In the long run they might be more damaging to your books than leaving them unwrapped. (Yes, I was a collector once. :D )
Fred
"Every revelation you make is an illusion; so far, no one has succeeded in knowing you. Your white pumps literally go with any outfit."
Kim Kierkegaardashian

Donald Binks

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 3:26 pm

The books dealing with silent cinema in my library:

AUSTRALIAN SILENT FILMS - Eric Reade
THE MAKING OF THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA - Philip J. Riley
MUSIC FOR THE SILENT FILM - Martin Miller Marks
SILENT STARS - Jeanine Basinger
HOLLYWOOD - Kevin Brownlow
THE PARADE'S GONE BY - Kevin Brownlow
AMERICAN SILENT FILM - William K. Everson
MOVIES OF THE SILENT YEARS - Ann Lloyd
GRANDMA'S SCRAPBOOK OF SILENT MOVIE STARS - John. M. Kaduck
CLASSICS OF THE SILENT SCREEN - Joe Franklin
SILENT MAGIC - Ivan Butler
HAROLD LLOYD - Gene Stavin
THE LEGEND OF GARBO - Peter Haining
SWANSON ON SWANSON - Gloria Swanson
DOUGLAS FAIRBANKS - THE FOURTH MUSKETEER - Ralph Hancock and Letitia Fairbanks
FACES, FORMS, FILMS (LON CHANEY) - Robert G. Anderson
CHAPLIN - Dennis Gifford
MY AUTOBIOGRAPHY - Charles Chaplin
KEATON - Tom Dardis
MARY PICKFORD AND DOUGLAS FAIRBANKS - Booton Herndon
RUDOLPH VALENTINO - Alexander Walker
THE INTIMATE LIFE OF RUDOLPH VALENTINO - Jack Seagnetti
VALENTINO - Alan Arnold
RUDOLPH VALENTINO - THE MAN BEHIND THE MYTH - Robert Oberfirst
DARK LOVER (RUDOLPH VALENTINO) - Emily W. Leider
THEY DIED TOO YOUNG (RUDOLPH VALENTINO) - Amy Dempsey
LULU IN HOLLYWOOD - Louise Brooks
MEMOIRS OF A STAR - Pola Negri
THE MATINEE IDOLS - David Carroll
SILENT MOVIES - Peter Kobel
A PICTORIAL HISTORY OF THE SILENT SCREEN - Daniel Blum
DOROTHY AND LILLIAN GISH - Lillian Gish
GREED (SCRIPT) - Erich von Stroheim
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I was in love with a beautiful blonde one time. She led me to drink. It's the only thing I'm thankful to her for."

Lonesome Luke

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 6:38 pm

Yes, nothing more encouraging to a writer than seeing all your work going for a buck on Amazon.

That's nothing, I payed a cent for Chaplin: The Mirror of Opinion by David Robinson, and Woody Allen by Glenn Hopp.

Frederica wrote:
Lonesome Luke wrote:Like I said. Except, instead of buying them at Brodarts, make your own covers to protect your books. All you need is scotch tape and extra large (if the book is big) all purpose freezer bags. If you buy a box of 50, they'll last you a long time, and the money saved from not having to buy book covers, can be used instead, to buy more books. And once you've read the book, you can always remove the cover. "One nickle carefully used, can last a family a lifetime..."

Not to be stroppy about it, but be careful about those freezer bags--they might not be made of archival-grade materials, and scotch tape is definitely not. In the long run they might be more damaging to your books than leaving them unwrapped. (Yes, I was a collector once. :D )

Then I'm guessing, if I told you I kept my extra large all purpose freezer bound books in the freezer — you'd think that was a bad idea too? :?

Donald Binks wrote:The books dealing with silent cinema in my library:

CHAPLIN - Dennis Gifford
KEATON - Tom Dardis
VALENTINO - Alan Arnold

I have seven of those, but I can't find the "HAROLD LLOYD - Gene Stavin" one anywhere on the inter webs.

Come to think of it, I might have one book that no one here has: The Nineteen Independent Short Silent Comedies of Buster Keaton by Gabriella Margaret Oldham.

MattBarry

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 8:31 pm

I recently have been reading David Robinson's book on Buster Keaton, published in 1969 as part of the Cinema One series. It's an excellent critical analysis of Keaton's silent films.

I've found quite a few good deals on used books through Amazon, and over the past couple years have really been trying to build out my library with all of the film-related books that I had read and enjoyed in the past, usually borrowed from the library, but which I had never gotten around to buying my own copies. When I was in New York, the Strand bookstore was my go-to place to find these out-of-print books but I've been able to find most of the ones I've been searching for on Amazon, including two recent finds of Rudi Blesh's Keaton bio, and Denis Gifford's book on Chaplin.
__
Matt Barry
Kino Lorber, Inc.

Jim Roots

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 6:16 am

CHAPLIN - Dennis Gifford
KEATON - Tom Dardis
VALENTINO - Alan Arnold

Shamefully missing the most important one:
https://www.amazon.com/James-Roots/e/B0 ... sr=1-2-ent

Jim

Jim Roots

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 6:38 am

Jim Roots wrote:

CHAPLIN - Dennis Gifford
KEATON - Tom Dardis
VALENTINO - Alan Arnold

https://www.amazon.com/James-Roots/e/B0 ... sr=1-2-ent" target="_blank

Jim

And also this one:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... m+Comedies

I thought you were my friend, Donald?

Jim

Frederica

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 10:35 am

Lonesome Luke wrote:[quote="Frederica]
Not to be stroppy about it, but be careful about those freezer bags--they might not be made of archival-grade materials, and scotch tape is definitely not. In the long run they might be more damaging to your books than leaving them unwrapped. (Yes, I was a collector once. :D )[/quote]
Then I'm guessing, if I told you I kept my extra large all purpose freezer bound books in the freezer — you'd think that was a bad idea too? :?[/quote][/quote]

Not if they're smoking hot books! I might be defaulting to collector concerns from a former life. If you're not buying the books for with an eye to possible future resale value then it probably doesn't matter too much. But the plastics in some grocery-type plastic bags interact with paper (especially the cheaper paper in paperback books, book club editions, or comics) and may cause them to degrade faster than if you'd just left them uncovered. It depends on what you want. In other words, NEVER MIND.
Fred
Kim Kierkegaardashian

Donald Binks

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 1:42 pm

Jim Roots wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/James-Roots/e/B0 ... sr=1-2-ent" target="_blank

Jim

Books are frightfully expensive to buy in Oz and most of my collection has been obtained by attending garage sales and second-hand bookshops. Occasionally, when flush with funds, I have bought a few tomes through Amazon. Also, since down-sizing my abode, I find space at a premium and so a moratorium has been placed on library expansion. Regrettably I have thus not been able to include works of esteemed authors such as your good self - but then, as they say, one can't have everything! :D
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I was in love with a beautiful blonde one time. She led me to drink. It's the only thing I'm thankful to her for."

Donald Binks

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 1:45 pm

Jim Roots wrote:
Jim Roots wrote:

Jim

Well, if we're that close, you can always remember me on my birthday - I'll be watching the mail box! :D
Regards from
Donald Binks

milefilms

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 2:26 pm

For work, I read Shelley Stamp's Lois Weber book earlier this year along with hundreds of articles about Lois, a large number of books on Anna Pavlova (I'm a little obsessive about her) and anything that I could find on SHOES and DUMB GIRL OF PORTICI.

Next up just for my education and pleasure:

Girls Will Be Boys: Cross-Dressed Women, Lesbians, and American Cinema, 1908-1934 by Laura Horak

Universal Women: Filmmaking and Institutional Change in Early Hollywood by Mark Garrett Cooper

I admire their work and wanted to support their efforts.
Dennis Doros
Milestone F&V

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 3:02 pm

A charity shop I usually drop into when looking for stock yielded a nice copy of Theodore Huff's 1952 book on Chaplin. It was lacking a dust-jacket, but for £1.50, who's grousing.

Lonesome Luke

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 3:08 pm

MattBarry wrote:I recently have been reading David Robinson's book on Buster Keaton, published in 1969 as part of the Cinema One series. It's an excellent critical analysis of Keaton's silent films.
It's still one of my favorite books to look through (even though I've had it for years). I e-mailed David Robinson once, and he had this to say about the book:
That poor old Keaton book is VERY old and VERY out of date and factually VERY inaccurate - but at that time the available viewing materials were in very bad state and often incorrectly identified.

Actually, when I worked on the MK2 Keaton DVDs, and had to view all the films in new restorations, I remade the book (keeping the bits I thought still read well) .... but I couldn't get a publisher. Film books are hard now unless they are heavy academic.

Now, why doesn't someone here get in touch with him, and get that book published? I'm sure someone here knows a guy, who knows a guy.
MattBarry wrote:I've found quite a few good deals on used books through Amazon, and over the past couple years have really been trying to build out my library with all of the film-related books that I had read and enjoyed in the past, usually borrowed from the library, but which I had never gotten around to buying my own copies. When I was in New York, the Strand bookstore was my go-to place to find these out-of-print books but I've been able to find most of the ones I've been searching for on Amazon, including two recent finds of Rudi Blesh's Keaton bio, and Denis Gifford's book on Chaplin.

My situation exactly. The Keaton bio by Rudi Blesh was one of the first books on silent comedy (if not the first) I ever bought. I even did a 5 page + book report on it at school. I still remember standing in front of the class reading it for what seemed like an eternity.
Jim Roots wrote:
Jim Roots wrote:

CHAPLIN - Dennis Gifford
KEATON - Tom Dardis
VALENTINO - Alan Arnold

https://www.amazon.com/James-Roots/e/B0 ... sr=1-2-ent

And also this one:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... m+Comedies

Jim, how long before we see your books on Amazon for just a buck? :wink:
Frederica wrote:
Lonesome Luke wrote:
Frederica wrote:Not to be stroppy about it, but be careful about those freezer bags--they might not be made of archival-grade materials, and scotch tape is definitely not. In the long run they might be more damaging to your books than leaving them unwrapped. (Yes, I was a collector once. :D )

Then I'm guessing, if I told you I kept my extra large all purpose freezer bound books in the freezer — you'd think that was a bad idea too? :?

Not if they're smoking hot books! I might be defaulting to collector concerns from a former life. If you're not buying the books for with an eye to possible future resale value then it probably doesn't matter too much. But the plastics in some grocery-type plastic bags interact with paper (especially the cheaper paper in paperback books, book club editions, or comics) and may cause them to degrade faster than if you'd just left them uncovered. It depends on what you want. In other words, NEVER MIND.

Well, I looked into it, and found this on reddit.com:
No on the cling wrap. It will actually trap moisture close to the cover.
Some other people have recommended contact paper and the like. Also, nonononoooooo.
If you want to preserve your books do not adhere ANYTHING to them (contact paper, laminates, glue, tape etc). This will entrap a whole bunch of destructive crap right up against your book over time. Also, this stuff can't be removed without damaging the books. People always do things like this to preserve books and paper and professional preservationists are always sighing over the damage.
If you have really expensive books that you want to protect, make or buy an archival quality box made of acid free board (you can google the instructions to make a good box. You can buy the board or a made box online at an archival supply store like Gaylord or at an art or good photo store IRL). Keep them in a cool, dry place, away from the light.
Store the books lying down if you can to distribute weight as much as possible. Don't open them too much, and when you do open them, do it with clean hands and keep them open at an angle, not all the way to 180.
If you really want to read these books, then try a paper cover, and just be careful when you open them, don't force the spine. But if they are really expensive things you want to preserve long term, get a cheaper copy for every day.
Source: I'm an archivist. Also, check out Library of congress book storage guidelines http://www.loc.gov/preservation/care/books.html

After reading that, Frederica, you'll be glad to hear that I've removed the plastic cover from the Langdon book. The book looks so much nicer without all that plastic covering it. I can put that book away — and dirty a new one now.

With so many new books to read now, my biggest problem is: Which book do I read next? Well, I think I just figured that out. Today, I received what might be the nicest (and most expensive at $130.51 CAD) book I've ever seen: Laurel & Hardy: The Magic Behind the Movies (The Ultimate Edition)! It's just beautiful, and worth every penny I payed. And to make the experience of reading it even better, I'll watch each film, before I read about them.
Next

Return to Talking About Silents