What Silent Film Related Books Have You Purchased or Read?

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Frederica

Re: What Silent Film Related Books Have You Purchased or Rea

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 5:37 pm

Lonesome Luke wrote:
Frederica wrote:Not if they're smoking hot books! I might be defaulting to collector concerns from a former life. If you're not buying the books for with an eye to possible future resale value then it probably doesn't matter too much. But the plastics in some grocery-type plastic bags interact with paper (especially the cheaper paper in paperback books, book club editions, or comics) and may cause them to degrade faster than if you'd just left them uncovered. It depends on what you want. In other words, NEVER MIND.

Well, I looked into it, and found this on reddit.com:
No on the cling wrap. It will actually trap moisture close to the cover.
Some other people have recommended contact paper and the like. Also, nonononoooooo.
If you want to preserve your books do not adhere ANYTHING to them (contact paper, laminates, glue, tape etc). This will entrap a whole bunch of destructive crap right up against your book over time. Also, this stuff can't be removed without damaging the books. People always do things like this to preserve books and paper and professional preservationists are always sighing over the damage.
If you have really expensive books that you want to protect, make or buy an archival quality box made of acid free board (you can google the instructions to make a good box. You can buy the board or a made box online at an archival supply store like Gaylord or at an art or good photo store IRL). Keep them in a cool, dry place, away from the light.
Store the books lying down if you can to distribute weight as much as possible. Don't open them too much, and when you do open them, do it with clean hands and keep them open at an angle, not all the way to 180.
If you really want to read these books, then try a paper cover, and just be careful when you open them, don't force the spine. But if they are really expensive things you want to preserve long term, get a cheaper copy for every day.
Source: I'm an archivist. Also, check out Library of congress book storage guidelines http://www.loc.gov/preservation/care/books.html" target="_blank" target="_blank

After reading that, Frederica, you'll be glad to hear that I've removed the plastic cover from the Langdon book. The book looks so much nicer without all that plastic covering it. I can put that book away — and dirty a new one now.

Somewhere a long moribund part of my brain breathes a sigh of relief. As you can see, though, book collecting is not for sissies. There came a time when, in the course of carefully protecting a book jacket and storing the collectible book flat in a dust free humidity controlled environment while reading the second copy I bought for that purpose, I said "wait a minute, who owns who here?" And then I sold many of them for a lot of money and have never looked back.

You can probably find a happy medium, though.
Fred
"Screw the men. I've got the horse."
Helen B. (Penny) Chenery
http://www.nitanaldi.com"
http://www.facebook.com/NitaNaldiSilentVamp"

Jim Roots

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 6:27 am

Frederica wrote:There came a time when, in the course of carefully protecting a book jacket and storing the collectible book flat in a dust free humidity controlled environment while reading the second copy I bought for that purpose, I said "wait a minute, who owns who here?"

Spoken by a person with a cat.

Jim

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 3:59 pm

Donald Binks wrote:The books dealing with silent cinema in my library:

AUSTRALIAN SILENT FILMS - Eric Reade
THE MAKING OF THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA - Philip J. Riley
MUSIC FOR THE SILENT FILM - Martin Miller Marks
SILENT STARS - Jeanine Basinger
HOLLYWOOD - Kevin Brownlow
THE PARADE'S GONE BY - Kevin Brownlow
AMERICAN SILENT FILM - William K. Everson
MOVIES OF THE SILENT YEARS - Ann Lloyd
GRANDMA'S SCRAPBOOK OF SILENT MOVIE STARS - John. M. Kaduck
CLASSICS OF THE SILENT SCREEN - Joe Franklin
SILENT MAGIC - Ivan Butler
HAROLD LLOYD - Gene Stavin
THE LEGEND OF GARBO - Peter Haining
SWANSON ON SWANSON - Gloria Swanson
DOUGLAS FAIRBANKS - THE FOURTH MUSKETEER - Ralph Hancock and Letitia Fairbanks
FACES, FORMS, FILMS (LON CHANEY) - Robert G. Anderson
CHAPLIN - Dennis Gifford
MY AUTOBIOGRAPHY - Charles Chaplin
KEATON - Tom Dardis
MARY PICKFORD AND DOUGLAS FAIRBANKS - Booton Herndon
RUDOLPH VALENTINO - Alexander Walker
THE INTIMATE LIFE OF RUDOLPH VALENTINO - Jack Seagnetti
VALENTINO - Alan Arnold
RUDOLPH VALENTINO - THE MAN BEHIND THE MYTH - Robert Oberfirst
DARK LOVER (RUDOLPH VALENTINO) - Emily W. Leider
THEY DIED TOO YOUNG (RUDOLPH VALENTINO) - Amy Dempsey
LULU IN HOLLYWOOD - Louise Brooks
MEMOIRS OF A STAR - Pola Negri
THE MATINEE IDOLS - David Carroll
SILENT MOVIES - Peter Kobel
A PICTORIAL HISTORY OF THE SILENT SCREEN - Daniel Blum
DOROTHY AND LILLIAN GISH - Lillian Gish
GREED (SCRIPT) - Erich von Stroheim

Have got quite a few of those, but nice to see a title one doesn't know. Sometimes not so nice when looking up the price!

Lonesome Luke

PostFri Mar 24, 2017 10:08 pm

BenModel wrote:Don't forget Marcel Perez: the International Mirth-Maker by Steve Massa. Just $11.95.

You'll be glad to hear that I GOT IT! Oh wait, it's a used copy — sorry! :oops:

Mine was "just" $1.29 + shipping for a grand total of $7.78, on Amazon.ca! Pretty, pretty good, I'd say. Now, that leaves me with just two DVDs left on my shopping list: The Marcel Perez Collection & The Mishaps of Musty Suffer Volume 2. (Until I decide I need something else, of course.)
Frederica wrote:Somewhere a long moribund part of my brain breathes a sigh of relief. As you can see, though, book collecting is not for sissies. There came a time when, in the course of carefully protecting a book jacket and storing the collectible book flat in a dust free humidity controlled environment while reading the second copy I bought for that purpose, I said "wait a minute, who owns who here?" And then I sold many of them for a lot of money and have never looked back.

My happy medium might be to add a plastic cover while I read the book, them remove it afterwards. I figure, the book will be OK this way. The only problem with a plastic cover, is keeping it wrapped, on a shelf, crushed by other books, suffocating in a chemical inducing plastic (with scotch tape), for a long time. There's no way that a plastic cover will do a book harm, while you're reading it for a couple of months — do you? Just the mere act of opening and closing it while you're reading it, ensures that the book will breathe. If I read a big book, and leave it lying around, I run the risk of damaging it. I could accidentally drop or spill something on it, which would be worse than sticking a cover on it for a few months. (I was thinking especially of The Marx Brothers on Stage, it has a soft felty cover, just begging to be ruined.) My other option, of course, would be to remove the dust cover while reading it, but you still run the risk of damaging that.

I'll negotiate this on a case by case basis (depending on the book, and how big it is). But, I usually don't have problems with softcover books (maybe I'm more careful), like the Turpin one. It's still in perfect shape — so far.

Big Silent Fan

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 12:29 pm

Film related books for me fall into two categories, novels, and written history of film, including biographies.

For reference books, it's "The Parade's Gone By...," "Napoleon," and "Hollywood, the Pioneers" by Kevin Brownlow. Next is "The American Film Heritage" with a collection of articles from different authors including one from Kevin Brownlow.
"Edison's Frankenstein by Frederick Wiebel Jr. provides a nice overview of Silent History in addition to the detailed story of Edison's 1910 film, "Frankenstein."
Another favorite of mine is Fred Thompson's "Lost Films, important movies that disappeared. It details 27 lost films providing enough information to imagine what they must have been like to see on the screen. A good imagination required perhaps, but I've enjoyed reading the film summaries.
Finally, "Gentlemen to the Rescue, the heroes of the Silent Screen" by Kalton Lahue.
Most biographies I have are videos, but I was inspired enough to find a copy of "Clara Bow" by David Stenn. It further elaborated what I'd seen often in the video documentaries but put husband Rex Bell's influence in a much darker light. Instead of being her 'knight in shinning armor' he was likely the cause behind her courtroom scandal with former friend, Daisy DeVoe. The story of Rex Bell in Stenn's biography is much different from the rosy image portrayed in the video.

With most novels, not being a collector, I buy them cheap and usually dispose of them as soon as they're read. Seeing the film first before finding the book helps to imagine what the setting or characters are like in the novel.
First for me was getting an early edition of General Lew Wallace's "Ben Hur, a tale of the Christ," a very worthwhile read and a powerful retelling of the Christian story. It's a strange mixture perhaps, Ben Hur's story of revenge and Christ's sacrifice on the Cross, but both the film and novel told the same story.
When I first saw clips of Chaney's lost film, "The Miracle Man," I quickly found a copy of book which was very close to the script in Chaney's Silent picture.
I did the same after watching Stroheim's "Greed," buying "McTeague" and after watching DeMille's 1916 epic film, "Joan the Woman," I bought Mark Twain's "Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc." Not the exact source for the script written by Jeanie Macpherson, but she likely had read Twain's 1896 book.

Most recently, after another viewing of "Captain Salvation," I located a used hardback of the 1925 book that inspired the film. Most all the characters seen in the film, Anson Campbell, Mary Phillips, his uncle the minister, her father the church elder and seaman, Seke Crosby are all included in the book, but the film story is nothing at all like the book. It's value to me was for imagining these central characters when reading the fast moving and fascinating story in the Book.
Anson Campbell's character embodied all the evil seen in Ernest Torrance's portrayal as the brutal Captain (that part is not in the book). In addition, the story of Aphrodite personified, seen in Rex Reeds, "Mare Nostrum" (with Alice Terry) seemed much like the enchanting character I found in the novel.
The 385 page book was unlike anything I've ever read before, each chapter, taking a dramatic twist from the one before. Throughout, Captain Campbell's ego and lack of concern for anything other than his own pleasures was the driving story in the book.

I've done the same with sound pictures, watching the film and then seeking out the book.

greta de groat

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 12:45 pm

I've been keeping a running list of comments on film books that i've read on Goodreads, i'm up to 215 titles now. The comments are less reviews than notes for my own use, but i guess other folks occasionallly find them useful, so if you are a member you can look me up and see what titles i've rated.

greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 1:24 pm

greta de groat wrote:I've been keeping a running list of comments on film books that i've read on Goodreads, i'm up to 215 titles now. The comments are less reviews than notes for my own use, but i guess other folks occasionallly find them useful, so if you are a member you can look me up and see what titles i've rated.

greta

That's quite a total, though over how long a period. Hope you've found time to eat and sleep... Will definitely take a look!

elalamo

PostTue Apr 04, 2017 7:00 am

I don't know how other authors feel, but this thread has been profoundly depressing to me.

wich2

PostTue Apr 04, 2017 8:22 am

Why so?

Frederica

PostTue Apr 04, 2017 2:47 pm

Lonesome Luke wrote:
BenModel wrote:Don't forget Marcel Perez: the International Mirth-Maker by Steve Massa. Just $11.95.

You'll be glad to hear that I GOT IT! Oh wait, it's a used copy — sorry! :oops:

Mine was "just" $1.29 + shipping for a grand total of $7.78, on Amazon.ca! Pretty, pretty good, I'd say. Now, that leaves me with just two DVDs left on my shopping list: The Marcel Perez Collection & The Mishaps of Musty Suffer Volume 2. (Until I decide I need something else, of course.)
Frederica wrote:Somewhere a long moribund part of my brain breathes a sigh of relief. As you can see, though, book collecting is not for sissies. There came a time when, in the course of carefully protecting a book jacket and storing the collectible book flat in a dust free humidity controlled environment while reading the second copy I bought for that purpose, I said "wait a minute, who owns who here?" And then I sold many of them for a lot of money and have never looked back.

My happy medium might be to add a plastic cover while I read the book, them remove it afterwards. I figure, the book will be OK this way. The only problem with a plastic cover, is keeping it wrapped, on a shelf, crushed by other books, suffocating in a chemical inducing plastic (with scotch tape), for a long time. There's no way that a plastic cover will do a book harm, while you're reading it for a couple of months — do you? Just the mere act of opening and closing it while you're reading it, ensures that the book will breathe. If I read a big book, and leave it lying around, I run the risk of damaging it. I could accidentally drop or spill something on it, which would be worse than sticking a cover on it for a few months. (I was thinking especially of The Marx Brothers on Stage, it has a soft felty cover, just begging to be ruined.) My other option, of course, would be to remove the dust cover while reading it, but you still run the risk of damaging that.

I'll negotiate this on a case by case basis (depending on the book, and how big it is). But, I usually don't have problems with softcover books (maybe I'm more careful), like the Turpin one. It's still in perfect shape — so far.

What might hurt your books more, in the long run, is dust. That's where having a good archival book cover comes in handy. If you're reading the book take care not to break the spine (sometimes hard to do with paperbacks) and do wash your hands before reading--there are all sorts of oils on your hands that don't interact well with paper. I usually removed the dust covers when I read them. Other than those few things, if you don't plan on collecting books with an eye to possible resale, just take normal good care of your books and enjoy them.
Fred
Helen B. (Penny) Chenery

Frederica

PostTue Apr 04, 2017 2:49 pm

greta de groat wrote:I've been keeping a running list of comments on film books that i've read on Goodreads, i'm up to 215 titles now. The comments are less reviews than notes for my own use, but i guess other folks occasionallly find them useful, so if you are a member you can look me up and see what titles i've rated.

greta

Greta's Goodreads book reviews are terse, to the point, and most useful. Recommended.
Fred
Helen B. (Penny) Chenery

ancientnut

PostTue Apr 04, 2017 6:02 pm

Another lover of silent films jumping on board, having just discovered this forum. I have about 330 silent films on DVD. I attended the San Francisco Silent Film Festival a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, I only have the following books on silent film:
American Silent Film, William K. Everson
The Parade's Gone By, Kevin Brownlow
Seductive Cinema: The Art of Silent Film, James Card
Silent Lives: 100 Biographies of the Silent Film Era, Lon Davis

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostTue Apr 04, 2017 8:42 pm

Nothing unfortunate about that list!
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Lonesome Luke

PostSat Apr 22, 2017 12:49 pm

Jim Roots wrote:That Mitchell book is a gem, aside from the author's British approach. I have his other encyclopedias too and they are all pretty good. There's some overlap among them, so you don't have to read all the entries in every book.

That's it, I have all his encyclopedias too. I just payed $15.71 for a used copy of The Laurel and Hardy Encyclopedia on eBay. Usually, the books on eBay are more expensive than on Amazon, but not this time. And it was in pretty good shape too (better than the A-Z of Silent Film Comedy: An Illustrated Companion). As far as reading everything in them goes — I haven't either. The only thing I've read in the The Laurel and Hardy Encyclopedia so far, is on THE LUCKY DOG, after having watched the film; before reading about it in Laurel & Hardy: The Magic Behind the Movies. I'll read about each of their films in both books, after watching them.
Lonesome Luke wrote:
Jim Roots wrote:The Chaplin interviews book is well worth getting. It includes the complete version of many articles cited in the Chaplin biographies such as David Robinson's, so you can finally read quotations in context.

The Chaplin book only has 150 pages, while the Keaton one has 242 (with no pictures, so I imagine the Chaplin one doesn't have any either). I'll get it one day, when I can get it for a good price. Twenty-six bucks is still a bit much for a 150 page book (with no pics to boot).

I found a used copy a while back for 3.36, but haven't made the plunge yet. There were also a few copies on Amazon.com for 4 bucks, but now I see that there's only one left for $5, and a couple at $7. I'm holding out, hoping the price might still fall. I figure if I wait long enough, it'll pop up for a buck one of these days. I have a million books to read now anyway.
Lonesome Luke wrote:Today, I received what might be the nicest (and most expensive at $130.51 CAD) book I've ever seen: Laurel & Hardy: The Magic Behind the Movies (The Ultimate Edition)! It's just beautiful, and worth every penny I payed.

Okay, maybe I was a little hasty there. Nothing on the Stage Is Permanent: The Harry Langdon Scrapbook has color pictures in it, so that trumps it — but it is the biggest — and still pretty awesome. Another book that has color pictures in it: Silent Comedy by Paul Merton. This book turned out to be a lot nicer, and bigger, than I though it would be. There are even color movie posters at the beginning of each chapter. I highly recommend it, especially if you can get it for a buck.

Jim, I requested your new book, 100 Essential Silent Film Comedies (which is being released on Amazon May 15) at my Library, and this is the response I got:

I can always order it again later, if it looks like they've forgotten about it. I also mentioned that you were a Canadian author. Who knows, it might sway them in the right direction.

Lonesome Luke

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 7:40 pm

Lonesome Luke wrote:
Jim Roots wrote:How about supporting a fellow Canadian?

Sure. (I would have bought The 100 Greatest Silent Film Comedians if BearManor Media or McFarland had it.)

The least expensive copy of The 100 Greatest Silent Film Comedians on Amazon is $94.76 CDN — but that's too pricey. (If I have to spend more on a book, I generally prefer books on a specific comedian I like — unless it's Chaplin, I already have soooo many books on him.) The cheapest price on eBay (where I can use PayPal) is $98.97 CDN, from a seller in the UK. (How bout setting up shop on eBay, and selling some at a reasonable price?) The most I payed for any book from BearManor Media or McFarland was $50 USD. I opted not to buy Little Elf: A Celebration of Harry Langdon on hardback to save $10 USD. (Now I wonder if I should have - but that's a WHOLE book on Harry Langdon.) Will The 100 Greatest Silent Film Comedians be coming out on paperback?

Great new! I bought a brand new copy of your book on Amazon.ca for only $47.34 with free shipping! I only had to pay an extra $2.37 for tax, for a grand total of $49.71. I just took a look, and your book is going for $109.45 + $6.49 for shipping on Amazon.ca right now. (And you only get free shipping if you pay $127.66.) That's less than half price. From what I can see, it was only available at that price, once. How does that work, anyway? :?

Another bit of good news (for me) is that I now have all the books on Harold Lloyd. I found a copy of Harold Lloyd: A Bio-Bibliography for only $16.13 plus shipping. I still have a few more A Bio-Bibliographies to buy, however.

Jim Roots

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 1:29 pm

Thanks so much, Luke. Hope you enjoy the books!

Jim

JFK

Harry Larry Buster Linder Betty Charlie

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 4:44 pm

Another bit of good news (for me) is that I now have all the books on Harold Lloyd.

Gloria, Peggy and Harold Jr.
CONTRIBUTE TO A BOOK FROM MEREDITH W.'s SISTER
NOVELIZATION BY ANOTHER COMEDIAN
BOOK ON LLOYD CHAPLIN & BOW
"TWELVE GOOD MEN AND TRUE"
LIMITED EDITION BOOK WITH CHAPTERS ON ROACH and LLOYD
LLOYD INTRO FOR BOOK BY AN "AS TOLD TO" BIOGRAPHER

BUSTER
AND
"Buster Keaton- The Little Iron Man" By Oliver Scott

CHARLIE

Two Italian 1945 Hardbounds:

Last edited by JFK on Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Hamilton's Grandson

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 8:01 pm

I recently purchased "Doctor Nye" 1923 by J. Lincoln , the book that "Idle Tongues" 1924 is based on. I miss the whole reading experience lately on paper medium like the old days compared to everything online these days. Trying to see how the film description and cast follows the book. Hope that "Idle Tongues" is found someday.
Mark Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com
Joseph Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com

Lonesome Luke

PostSat Apr 29, 2017 11:20 am

Lonesome Luke wrote:Another bit of good news (for me) is that I now have all the books on Harold Lloyd.

Maybe I should clarify, that I'm only talking about books dealing exclusively with Harold Lloyd. I'm not interested in foreign language books (in general, unless it's a nice picture book) or novelizations of Harold's films. However, I'm still in the market for The Laugh Makers - a Pictorial History of American Comedians by William Cahn, but only when I find one for a good price.

ImageImage

Speaking of foreign language books. I just purchased The Look of Buster Keaton by Robert Benayoun for $25.10 + shipping. I bought it to replace the French version I'd purchased (thinking at the time that there was no English version). (Now, if I could just move my ass and make the effort to sell it on eBay, I'd have one less book I don't need lying around here.)

Wait a minute. I have one small French book on Harold Lloyd that I bought years ago:

And an Italian one on Buster Keaton:

augustinius

PostSat Apr 29, 2017 11:28 am

Two pages in and no reference to this, my favorite book of film criticism?

https://www.amazon.com/Silent-Clowns-Wa ... 0394469070

This is the single best book on silent comedy I have ever read. Absolutely essential.

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostFri May 26, 2017 1:28 pm

Just acquired George Pratt's 'Spellbound in Darkness', which I had not realised was such a substantial tome. The recommendation was William K Everson's, in his 'American Silent Film'.

Also, Claire Johnstone and Pam Cook's BFI booklet on Dorothy Arzner.

JLNeibaur

PostSun May 28, 2017 8:09 pm

I've written two books on Chaplin (his Keystone and Essanay periods), three on Buster Keaton (one of those on his films with Arbuckle), a book on Harry Langdon (his silents), and co-wrote one on the Stan Laurel solo films. They are film-by-film studies of the artists' work.

I can't count the number of books on silents that I have purchased, but can state that some of the books that I really loved during my formative years, that helped lay the groundwork for my interest when I was a kid, include William Cahn's book Harold Lloyd: His World of Comedy, Bill Everson's The Films of Laurel and Hardy, Donald Deschner's The Films of W.C. Fields, Kevin Brownlow's The Parade's Gone By, and Lahue and Gill's Clown Princes and Court Jesters. Got hold of all these by the time I was 12 years old or so, and they were the foundation for my continued interest and further study. There have since been better books on Laurel and Hardy, Fields, and Lloyd (ok I wrote one on Fields' work), but the ones I read were good primers. The Brownlow and the Lahue-Gill books remain the best in their field. All of these continue to be valuable to me.

The most recent books on silents I have acquired include bios on Theda Bara, Mabel Normand, and Bebe Daniels

JN

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostMon May 29, 2017 11:00 am

augustinius wrote:Two pages in and no reference to this, my favorite book of film criticism?

https://www.amazon.com/Silent-Clowns-Wa ... 0394469070" target="_blank

This is the single best book on silent comedy I have ever read. Absolutely essential.

Probably because most of us have it already - I hope! Don't forget this thread is on new acquisitions and readings.

Lonesome Luke

PostTue Jul 25, 2017 6:46 pm

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this here yet. But, I just received the book Charlie Chaplin's Red Letter Days: At Work with the Comic Genius. It's a hardcover book with the cover printed on the book. (I love those books, they're beautiful, plus, no more messing with pesky jackets.)
Charlie Chaplin's Red Letter Days: At Work with the Comic Genius
by Fred Goodwins (Author), David James (Editor), Dan Kamin (Editor)

By the end of 1914, Charlie Chaplin had become the most popular actor in films, and reporters were clamoring for interviews with the comedy sensation. But no reporter had more access than Fred Goodwins. A British actor who joined Chaplin’s stock company in early 1915, Goodwins began writing short accounts of life at the studio and submitted them to publications. In February 1916 the British magazine Red Letter published the first of what became a series of more than thirty-five of Goodwins’s articles. Written in breezy prose, the articles cover a two-year period during which Chaplin’s popularity and creativity reached new heights. Only one copy of the complete series is known to exist, and its recent rediscovery marks a significant find for Chaplin fans.

Charlie Chaplin’s Red Letter Days: At Work with the Comic Genius is a vivid account of the ebb and flow of life at the Chaplin studio. Goodwins was an astute observer who deepens our understanding of Chaplin’s artistry and sheds new light on his personality. He also provides charming and revealing portraits of Chaplin’s unsung collaborators, such as his beloved costar Edna Purviance, his burly nemesis Eric Campbell, and other familiar faces that populate his films. Goodwins depicts Chaplin in the white heat of artistic creation, an indefatigable imp entertaining and inspiring the company on the set. He also describes gloomy, agonizing periods when Chaplin was paralyzed with indecision or exhaustion, or simply frustrated that it was raining and they couldn’t shoot.

Reproduced here for the first time, the articles have been edited by film historian David James and annotated by Chaplin expert Dan Kamin to highlight their revelations. Illustrated with a selection of rare images that reflect the Chaplin craze, including posters, sheet music, and magazine covers, Charlie Chaplin’s Red Letter Days provides a fascinating excursion into the private world of the iconic superstar whose films move and delight audiences to this day. It will appeal to movie fans, comedy buffs, and anyone who wants to know what really went on behind the scenes with Chaplin and his crew.

Can't wait to get into it, but right now, I'm reading Harry Langdon: His Life and Films (Second Edition) by William Schelly. The first edition was a great read, and so is this one.

I'm also still in the middle of Laurel & Hardy: The Magic Behind the Movies. Right now, I'm up to Habeas Corpus (1928). When I watch it, I'll read the section on it. I'm watching every Laurel & Hardy movie before I read about them in that book — It's more fun that way. Then just for the hell of it, I also read about them in The Laurel & Hardy Encyclopedia and Laurel & Hardy by John McCabe.
maliejandra wrote:I've been eyeing that Larry Semon book. Let me know if it is any good. McFarland is notoriously and unfortunately pretty pricey. Bear Manor has better prices and nice sales, but their books are hit or miss in my experience.

It's a great book; I highly recommend it. It's nice to read about a silent comedian that I like, but don't know very much about. I'm still looking through it, as I watch his films from time to time on YouTube, and in my small collection. The filmography is also very useful in identifying which films are which on YouTube.

maliejandra

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 6:37 am

Good to hear, Lonesome Luke!

READ:
Norma Shearer by Gavin Lambert
Smile When the Raindrops Fall: The Story of Charley Chase by Brian Anthony & Andy Edmonds
Conversations with Classic Film Stars: Interviews from Hollywood's Golden Era by James Bawden & Ron Miller
My Hollywood: When Both of Us Were Young by Patsy Ruth Miller
Mervyn LeRoy: Take One by Mervyn Leroy
Pickford: The Woman Who Made Hollywood by Eileen Whitfield
Silent Star by Colleen Moore
The Shocking Miss Pilgrim: A Writer in Early Hollywood by Frederica Sagor Maas
Mary Pickford: America's Sweetheart by Scott Eyman
Adventures of a Hollywood Secretary: Her Private Letters from Inside the Studios of the 1920s by Valeria Belletti
Lost Films: Important Movies That Disappeared by Frank T. Thompson
A Darling of the Twenties: The Autobiography of Madge Bellamy
Hot Toddy: The True Story of Hollywood's Most Sensational Murder by Andy Edmonds
My Wonderful World of Slapstick by Buster Keaton
Olive Thomas: The Life and Death of a Silent Film Beauty by Michelle Vogel
Kiss Hollywood Goodbye by Anita Loos
My Life With Chaplin by Lita Grey Chaplin
Frame-Up!: The Untold Story of Roscoe "Fatty" Arbuckle by Andy Edmonds
Laugh and Live by Douglas Fairbanks
Swanson on Swanson by Gloria Swanson
Charlie Chaplin: Intimate Close-Ups by Georgia Hale
A Cast of Killers: The True Story of Hollywood's Most Scandalous Murder by Sidney D. Kirkpatrick
Clara Bow: Runnin' Wild by David Stenn
Speaking of Silents by William M. Drew
Marlene Dietrich by Her Daughter by Maria Riva
Platinum Girl: The Life and Legends of Jean Harlow by Eve Golden
The Times We Had: Life with William Randolph Hearst by Marion Davies
The Little Rascals: The Life and Times of Our Gang by Leonard Maltin & Richard W. Bann
Bombshell: The Life and Death of Jean Harlow by David Stenn
Mary Pickford Rediscovered by Kevin Brownlow
Sunshine and Shadow by Mary Pickford
Twinkle Twinkle, Little Star: But Don't Have Sex or Take the Car by Dickie Moore
My Autobiography by Charles Chaplin
The Parade's Gone By by Kevin Brownlow
The Name Above the Title: An Autobiography by Frank Capra

OWN:
Nazimova by Gavin Lambert
Distressed Damsels and Masked Marauders: Cliffhanger Serials of the Silent-Movie Era by Ed Hulse
We Barrymores by Lionel Barrymore
Hollywood: The Pioneers by Kevin Brownlow
Mary Pickford: Queen of the Movies by Christel Schmidt
Mary Pickford and Douglas Fairbanks: The most popular couple the world has ever known by Booton Herndon
Behind the Mask of Innocence: Films of Social Conscience in the Silent Era by Kevin Brownlow
Silent Stars by Jeanine Basinger
Eugene "Pineapple" Jackson: His Own Story by Eugene W. Jackson
Laurel & Hardy by John McCabe
The Honeycomb by Adela Rogers St. John
From Hollywood With Love by Bessie Love
The Keystone Kid: Tales of Early Hollywood by Coy Watson Jr.
Billy Bitzer: His Story
Whatever Happened to Hollywood? by Jesse L. Lasky Jr.
Doug & Mary : A Biography of Douglas Fairbanks & Mary Pickford by Gary Carey
Marlene Dietrich: Life And Legend by Steven Bach
Lillian Gish: Her Legend, Her Life by Charles Affron
Whatever Happened to Baby Peggy?: The Autobiography of Hollywood's Pioneer Child Star by Diana Serra Cary
Anna May Wong: From Laundryman's Daughter to Hollywood Legend by Graham Russell Gao Hodges
The Little Elf: A Celebration of Harry Langdon by Chuck Harter & Michael J. Hayde
Edgar Kennedy: Master of the Slow Burn by Bill Cassara
Lucky Stars: Janet Gaynor And Charles Farrell by Sarah Baker
The War, the West, and the Wilderness by Kevin Brownlow
Hollywood: The Years of Innocence by John Kobal
Keystone: The Life and Clowns of Mack Sennett by Simon Louvish
Splinters From Hollywood Tripods by Virgil E. Miller
Marion Davies by Fred Lawrence Guiles
Without Lying Down: Screenwriter Frances Marion and the Powerful Women of Early Hollywood by Cari Beauchamp

I am currently reading The Talmadge Girls: a Memoir by Anita Loos.

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 1:01 pm

Just acquired 'Laugh and Live' supposedly written by Douglas Fairbanks and published in 1917. This copy has most of the jacket, and should be fun to read.

Rick Lanham

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 3:56 pm

“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.
Previous

Return to Talking About Silents