New Book on Film-Making and Cinemas in South-East England

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

earlytalkiebuffRob

New Book on Film-Making and Cinemas in South-East England

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 1:45 pm

ELECTRIC PICTURES, a Guide to the Films, Film-Makers & Cinemas of Worthing & Shoreham, by Ellen Cheshire and James Clarke, is a book which has at least three areas of appeal. Entertaining and informative, with contributions from Kevin Brownlow and David Leland, it charts 120 years of cinema in the area.

Lesser known outfits, such as Progress Films (producer of A LOWLAND CINDERELLA, 1921, starring Joan Morgan), are discussed, as are the larger film companies which used the area for sequences in their movies. The second part of the book is on the cinemas of district, and is generously illustrated with photographs as well as some advertising material and information from the local press.

Nicely presented, ELECTRIC PICTURES is very readable and detailed and doesn't fall into the trap of some local books of being so chatty as to put off serious students of the subject. Neither do the authors resort to the esoteric jargon one can find in some cinema books, which can be off-putting in the other direction. A very useful addition to the growing list of regional film books.

978-0-7509-8141-5
£12.99
http://www.thehistorypress.co.uk" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

p.s. I have no financial interest here. Ms Cheshire is a customer at my second-hand bookshop, and I am only too happy to help promote it. And in case you're wondering, I bought my copy!

Return to Talking About Silents