Greed DVD/Blu-Ray

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

EdibleCamphor

Greed DVD/Blu-Ray

PostTue Mar 14, 2017 9:56 pm

Does anybody know why Erich von Strolheim's Greed hasnt been released on DVD or BLU RAY? Is there a rights issue? Theres only a VHS and a few SD TCM airings, are there any plans for releasing it on the aforementioned formats?
Film Writer, Director, Actor, Historian, and Bespectacled Young Man.

JRozgonyi

Re: Greed DVD/Blu-Ray

PostTue Mar 14, 2017 10:16 pm

I don't know about the DVD/Blu-Ray hold-up, but an SD version of the four-hour "restoration" has been available on iTunes as a digital download for a couple of years.

Phototone

PostWed Mar 15, 2017 10:14 am

GREED was available on a Laserdisc. This was the theatrical cut, not the recreation.

Agnes

PostWed Mar 15, 2017 12:18 pm

TCM has both & has aired both the theatrical & the expanded restoration versions. That is where I got access to each of them. They actually play like 2 different films.
Agnes McFadden

I know it's good - I wrote it myself!

LouieD

PostThu Mar 16, 2017 12:09 am

I have a friend who works for Turner who made me an absolutely wonderful blu-ray off the master they have stored in their archive. Its breathtaking.

Mark Zimmer

PostThu Mar 16, 2017 9:26 am

If only Turner would do that for the rest of us. They might even, you know, sell some.

Battra92

PostThu Mar 16, 2017 9:46 am

Mark Zimmer wrote:If only Turner would do that for the rest of us. They might even, you know, sell some.

I know it. At least the Warner Archive exists but I think they've realized that silents don't sell as well as Hanna Barbera cartoons.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostThu Mar 16, 2017 10:05 am

Specifically, The Big Parade didn't.
“One of the wonders of the internet is that it's a totally open forum. The world's greatest expert—or greatest idiot—is free to post.” —David Shepard, quoted by Richard Bann

Derek N

PostThu Mar 16, 2017 11:14 am

Battra92 wrote:At least the Warner Archive exists but I think they've realized that silents don't sell as well as Hanna Barbera cartoons.

Right--but isn't that the point of the Archive? That it allows Warner to release films which would be way too obscure to release in the traditional DVD market? They started off strong with many great silent titles, but as far as I know, they haven't released any silents in something like five or six years. Ouch.

I realize that some films need restoration and scores, and that costs money obviously, but Greed is already ready to go. They just need to make it available as a DVD-R. Same with The Wind, The Crowd, etc.

wich2

PostThu Mar 16, 2017 12:56 pm

Do they have High-Def masters of those two?

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostThu Mar 16, 2017 1:08 pm

I think they put more money into those than an Archive release would return. They hoped to do fancy editions of them, and it didn't work out with The Big Parade. So now they sit, waiting for the market to change in some way.
“One of the wonders of the internet is that it's a totally open forum. The world's greatest expert—or greatest idiot—is free to post.” —David Shepard, quoted by Richard Bann

Brooksie

PostThu Mar 16, 2017 1:23 pm

It baffles me that they didn't wait until this year to release The Big Parade. Certainly in England and Australia, the World War I 100th anniversary has been very high profile, with numerous events, tie-in commemorative products (including the re-release of a number of WWI silents), and so on.

Perhaps they didn't anticipate the same level of attention for the centenary of America's involvement? Or perhaps it didn't occur to them?

Harold Aherne

PostThu Mar 16, 2017 2:37 pm

The main reason why there haven't been as many silent Warner Archive releases lately is because most of the titles that have video masters and scores have already been released. The only ones that haven't, AFAIK, are The Conquering Power, The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, Greed, The Rag Man, Mare Nostrum, The Scarlet Letter, The Student Prince in Old Heidelberg, The Crowd, The Viking, The Wind, A Woman of Affairs, The Mysterious Island and Show Boat.

While they did release most titles "as-is" at first, they've since begun remastering each film selected for release. On their Facebook, I do recall them saying that The Viking required remastering.

Because of its 1999 reconstruction, Greed may present special problems. It's one thing to do a 4K scan of film elements, but if the reconstruction was done on tape only, it would take a lot of work to get it up to speed (so to speak) for a high-definition presentation (rescanning the stills, possibly a new score if the 1999 one no longer syncs with a new transfer, et al.). I guess it could be released as a SD bonus, but there would be grumbles from purists.

-HA

Arndt

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 7:10 am

Harold Aherne wrote:The Conquering Power, The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, Greed, The Rag Man, Mare Nostrum, The Scarlet Letter, The Student Prince in Old Heidelberg, The Crowd, The Viking, The Wind, A Woman of Affairs, The Mysterious Island and Show Boat.

What a mouth-watering list! You release - I buy.
MELIOR

Battra92

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 11:20 am

Mike Gebert wrote:Specifically, The Big Parade didn't.

Don't blame me; I own it!

Return to Talking About Silents