Exposing your Friends to Phantom

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

ChrisStockslager

Exposing your Friends to Phantom

PostMon Apr 03, 2017 1:07 pm

So, the way I always show the film to newbies (though most of my close friends have already soldiered on through it already) is I show the 1925 BFI Blu Ray, then after the film is over, go back and show them the whole color Bal Masque scene for fun.

What do you all do? :)

Donald Binks

Re: Exposing your Friends to Phantom

PostMon Apr 03, 2017 3:27 pm

ChrisStockslager wrote:So, the way I always show the film to newbies (though most of my close friends have already soldiered on through it already) is I show the 1925 BFI Blu Ray, then after the film is over, go back and show them the whole color Bal Masque scene for fun.

What do you all do? :)

I first got a copy of POTO on 8mm film back in the 1960's. In those days H.M. Australian Customs were charging duty on imported film - even 8mm! So, when I then put a magnetic sound strip on the film and purchased a whole series of gramophone records in order to have some appropriate music - it became quite an expensive proposition! Still, one went through with these extravagances to actually get to see films.

One night I remember I actually played the piano in accompaniment to the film at a friend's house. The piano was not in that good a condition and my heavy thumping gave me sore wrists for a few days afterwards! :D Unfortunately, when I had finished that night I looked around to see about 75% of the audience sound asleep. Obviously not film lovers.

(It was not until many years later that I got to see a better print of the 1929 version - and then another couple of years when I got to see the original 1925 cut (the Hampton print).)
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

Great Hierophant

PostMon Apr 03, 2017 3:46 pm

Tough call, but if I wanted to introduce friends to Phantom today, I really would only have two options, the BFI or the Kino Blu-ray. As much as I may personally prefer the longer 1925 cut, the best scan of that film is on the BFI Blu-ray, but it is still not what I would use for a first impression. Plus, the only good soundtrack synchronized to that version is on the old Milestone DVD. So it must be the 1929 cut, but I'd probably reach for whichever disc I felt more like watching, since I doubt any of my friends would care.

ChrisStockslager

PostWed Apr 05, 2017 12:22 am

Why wouldn't you even show people the BFI 1925 cut? It's still pretty watchable as far as silent films go in terms of condition. It looks terrible, but it's watchable. And the score is pretty boring. How was the score on the image Blu-ray even though it's not high definition? I must confess, out of every score I've ever heard for the movie, I think Gabriel Thibadeaux's will always be my favorite - so much more horror movie than Davis' grander score.

Return to Talking About Silents