Silent SOS!!!

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

ChrisStockslager

Re: Silent SOS!!!

PostSun Apr 16, 2017 12:47 am

ajabrams wrote:
ChrisStockslager wrote:Thank you so much for all of the replies / advice, everyone!!

Ironically, the asshole canceled..... sooooooooo... solo movie night. Goody.

Just out of curiosity Chris, what did YOU end up watching?? Also I was wondering if you've ever seen
PANDORA'S BOX - one of my absolute favorite films- silent or sound. And it might be of additional interest to you since it's based on the same work as Alban Berg's opera LULU.

Mystery science theater 3000. LOL

ChrisStockslager

PostSun Apr 16, 2017 12:48 am

Donald Binks wrote:A person like yourself who is interested in opera and silent pictures should probably go for those silent epics such as "Faust" or "Siegfried" etc., - which of course might be just a tad heavy for the average punter.

It's hard to know what to show a silent picture novice - perhaps you can get them warmed up on a Buster Keaton two reeler - just to test the waters.

Most of the complaints I have had over the years from those experiencing a silent picture for the first time - apart from "It's not in colour!", "Why don't they say anything?" or "Why's the screen so small?" are that the film is not in very good quality or the speed of it is all wrong. Luckily, living in the age in which we do with all the positively marvelous restorations that are available, that complaint should not be surfacing quite so often.

My son, who is of the same persuasion as your good self has professed an interest in watching films that portray gay characters. I have been able to dig out some European silent films where the subject is dealt with in more depth than say the campiness displayed by character actors such as Franklin Pangborn and Edward Everett Horton. Maybe you could set up a few nights of retrospective cinema along this theme with any future person you may be walking out with?

A very cool idea! Are there really that many outwardly gay characters in films that are not simply comic relief? The only thing I can think of is Different from Others.

Donald Binks

PostSun Apr 16, 2017 2:57 am

ChrisStockslager wrote: A very cool idea! Are there really that many outwardly gay characters in films that are not simply comic relief? The only thing I can think of is Different from Others.

Yes that is one of the main ones, then there are another two - "Michael" (1924) directed by Carl Theodor Dreyer, and "Sex in Chains" (1928) directed and staring William Dieterle, Rating an honourable mention would be Nazimova's "Salomé" (1922) with an all-gay cast - some in drag.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I was in love with a beautiful blonde one time. She led me to drink. It's the only thing I'm thankful to her for."

silentmovies742

PostSun Apr 16, 2017 9:42 am

There is also Vingarne (1916) if you can find it - which is an earlier version of Michael. The Matinee Idol is also worth a look - despite being a comedy, the (admittedly ovet the top) gay character is not there to be ridiculed by the other characters.

pathe16mm

PostSun Apr 16, 2017 3:01 pm

ChrisStockslager wrote:
Donald Binks wrote:A person like yourself who is interested in opera and silent pictures should probably go for those silent epics such as "Faust" or "Siegfried" etc., - which of course might be just a tad heavy for the average punter.

It's hard to know what to show a silent picture novice - perhaps you can get them warmed up on a Buster Keaton two reeler - just to test the waters.

Most of the complaints I have had over the years from those experiencing a silent picture for the first time - apart from "It's not in colour!", "Why don't they say anything?" or "Why's the screen so small?" are that the film is not in very good quality or the speed of it is all wrong. Luckily, living in the age in which we do with all the positively marvelous restorations that are available, that complaint should not be surfacing quite so often.

My son, who is of the same persuasion as your good self has professed an interest in watching films that portray gay characters. I have been able to dig out some European silent films where the subject is dealt with in more depth than say the campiness displayed by character actors such as Franklin Pangborn and Edward Everett Horton. Maybe you could set up a few nights of retrospective cinema along this theme with any future person you may be walking out with?

A very cool idea! Are there really that many outwardly gay characters in films that are not simply comic relief? The only thing I can think of is Different from Others.

I would also recommend A WOMAN OF AFFAIRS. Douglas Fairbanks, Jr.'s character suffers from more than "hero worship."

Agnes

PostSun Apr 16, 2017 7:09 pm

Bob Furem wrote:Kevin Brownlow's axiom is that if you want to make a silent film fan out of someone, show a Harold Lloyd film.

Never was there a truer statement .

I agree The Unknown is the right "horror" choice......But I also agree silent "horror" is no like modern CGI horror.

Go with funny.....But add the danger/ thrill element with "High &Dizzy" if you have 20 minutes, or if you have 90 min "Safety Last" is amazing. It gives the expectation of the heart-pounding scare, but presents it in a way that you are happy that the character isn't crushed & bleeding.
Agnes McFadden

I know it's good - I wrote it myself!

Harlett O'Dowd

PostMon Apr 17, 2017 8:22 am

Wm. Charles Morrow wrote:You might consider Sunrise. Not in the horror genre but dark, even something of a precursor to film noir, and of course it's brilliantly made, and visually beautiful.

I'd second SUNRISE - especially if he loves the 1931 FRANKENSTEIN (you can point out what Whale appropriated from Murnau/O'Brien in the look of the Monster.)

And I'd also support THE UNKNOWN.

METROPOLIS (if into Sci-fi) and (more-so) SPIES (another roller-coaster rise popcorn movie) might work.

Or possibly a comedy.

greta de groat

PostMon Apr 17, 2017 9:35 am

For a completely different perspective, for one of our first dates i had my future husband take me to PFA, where he ended up being blown away by Terje Vigen. He had had no particular interest in silents and wasn't opposed to them, but it was hardly what he was expecting.

greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

MaryGH

PostMon Apr 17, 2017 11:09 am

This is just a suggestion, but maybe next time suggest a Tom Tyler silent film (Sinister Cinema has 3 of them available: The Canyon of Missing Men, The Texas Tornado, Call of the Desert) that might be more appealing if you know what I mean.
Petition: Turner Enter./Warner Bros: Please digitalize Tom Tyler's FBO silent film westerns

http://bit.ly/2ueCvHe
---
Aventuras de Tom Tyler

http://triggertomblog.blogspot.com/

oldposterho

PostMon Apr 17, 2017 8:33 pm

If you don't like Wings you shouldn't be allowed in a movie theater.
Previous

Return to Talking About Silents