Looking for info about Alice Simms, a.k.a. "Davide"

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Stacia

Looking for info about Alice Simms, a.k.a. "Davide"

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 5:59 am

Good morning all. I stumbled across some scant information about an actress in the silent era who went by the mononym "Davide." Her real name is Alice Simms and she is the mother of Lotus Corelli, formerly married to Robert Altman and briefly an actress herself.

Davide was married in the 1920s to producer Alfonso Corelli, who composed music for some "Baby Burlesques." Alice Simms' obituary stated that when she was an actress, she worked with Valentino, Nazimova and others:

Alice H. Simms ; Services will be private for Alice H. Simms, who died Sunday in Santa Cruz. She was 92. ; A native of Milwaukee, Mrs. Simms came to California in 1919 as a star of a silent film company, adopting the stage name of Davide. '. She was known for doing her own stunt work, and appeared in films featuring Rudolph Valentino, Nazimova and other stars of the silent film era. In 1924, she married Alfonso Corelli, a composer and symphony conductor. The couple and and another producer made six short-subject movies "Baby Burlesques" starring, among others, Shirley Temple. After divorcing Corelli in 1936, she married William J. Simms and left the movies to become a lecturer and teacher of metaphysics and new-age religions in Los Angeles.

I stumbled across Alice Simms when reading Robert Altman: An Oral Biography, where Altman's ex-wife Lotus Corelli (Alice's daughter) mentions that Altman once got angry and ripped up posters her mother had sent her from her silent movie days. From there I discovered Alice Simms was only credited as a singer and songwriter in a few films, but nothing about silent films.

The only other thing I found was an article in the Santa Cruz Sentinel from 1992 which reported: 'Alice once graced the silent screen as the actress, "Davide," long before Cher made single-name actors famous.'

I don't know what Alice's maiden name was; Corelli was her married name from her first marriage, and Simms from her second.

I'm finding nothing for a Davide or even someone with the first name Alice who fits the criteria in the obituary.

Anyone ever hear of her before?

oldposterho

Re: Looking for info about Alice Simms, a.k.a. "Davide"

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 7:39 am

Stacia wrote:...Altman's ex-wife Lotus Corelli (Alice's daughter) mentions that Altman once got angry and ripped up posters her mother had sent her from her silent movie days.

Uncool, Bob, very uncool...

Lantern turns up several references for her, particularly for Witch's Gold, including this mini-bio which reeks of puffery:

http://ia802305.us.archive.org/BookReader/BookReaderImages.php?zip=/10/items/movpicwor441movi/movpicwor441movi_jp2.zip&file=movpicwor441movi_jp2/movpicwor441movi_0644.jp2

She was quite a looker if you check out page 4095 here:

http://www.archive.org/stream/motionpicturenew212unse#page/n1314/mode/1up

--Peter

Stacia

Re: Looking for info about Alice Simms, a.k.a. "Davide"

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 7:46 am

That's fantastic stuff, thanks!

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I'm only finding Davide Calcagni and Davide Boulting references when I search. But searching under Witch's Gold is bringing up a, er, goldmine, so thanks!

Return to Talking About Silents