Silent Film Quarterly Question - Black Friday 2015 Issue

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Jeff Crouse

Silent Film Quarterly Question - Black Friday 2015 Issue

PostTue Apr 18, 2017 2:24 pm

I'm a silent film scholar and a co-producer (with Grayson) on a restoration (1927's Little Mickey Grogan), and have recently relocated from Las Vegas to Seattle. In my move I've had to (temporarily) place some of my library in storage, and now am needing some particular page numbers from the journal, Silent Film Quarterly, for an article I completed before my move. I was wondering if any Nitratevillers might be able to assist me.

Specifically I'm needing the page numbers arising from the Black Friday 2015 issue, the ones in which Clara Bow's autobiography is cited. Does anyone happen to have them? They are related to a fairly lengthy analysis of Children of Divorce (1927) I did for the European journal, Film International. If anyone could help me that would be most helpful.

Thank you in advance!
Jeff

silentmovies742

Re: Silent Film Quarterly Question - Black Friday 2015 Issue

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 8:34 am

I don't have the Black Friday issue, alas. However, the Clara Bow autobiography article (My Life Story) is included in a collection of interviews I have just put together called Silent Voices. The article is on pages 108-144 of the book. If you need to cite the short section on Children of Divorce and the relationship with Gary Cooper, it is on pages 142-143.

Silent Voices: Vintage Interviews with Silent Film Personalities. Edited by Shane Brown. Createspace, 2017. pp.142-143.
The article itself is entitled "My Life Story" and the author is Adela Rogers St John.

That should at least give you a citation if indeed it's the same article (which I am assuming it is)

The article is also available in original context via the Media History Digital Library the April 1928 edition of Photoplay, but I don't have the page number for that.

Hope that helps in some way.

Jeff Crouse

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 3:11 pm

I appreciate your going out of your way in taking the time to reply to my question. Mighty good. What I decided to do in the end was simply go back to the original February 1928 Photoplay article. However, I am indeed interested in your book as being a useful compilation in its reprinting of interviews of various silent film stars from the print media of the 1920s. Is your book already published -- I noticed the 2017 date -- or will it appear at some point this year?

Once again, I thank you for reaching out to me with such professionally delivered information!

All best,
Jeff

silentmovies742

PostThu Apr 20, 2017 7:40 pm

No problem. I know what a pain it can be when you lose a citation or have the quote and don't have access to the article. As for the book, yes it's out there, and you can find it on Amazon: http://a.co/5oBbvEg. It's only a self-published effort this time around, but I don't think there's a similar collection from the period out there, so hope people find it fun.

Return to Talking About Silents