SQUIRRELS IN THE CINEMA

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

earlytalkiebuffRob

SQUIRRELS IN THE CINEMA

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 7:08 am

SURRENDER (1927) has a scene-stealing squirrel early on, reminding me of other instances in A MORMON MAID (1917), KARMA (1933) and THE THREE WORLDS OF GULLIVER (1960). Whole squirrel-related movie include PERRI (1957) and THE GREAT RUPERT (1950). Any more? Recall another silent, but the title's gone...

Jim Roots

Re: SQUIRRELS IN THE CINEMA

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 8:19 am

My computer wallpaper at the moment is a screen grab of Paul Parrott trying to shoot a squirrel posing on the end of his rifle, from Shoot Straight.

Jim

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostSun Apr 30, 2017 8:23 am

That was the one I was trying to think of! Thank you!

Jonathan

PostMon May 01, 2017 3:23 am

Eagle-eyed imdb contributors have pounced on 349 "squirrel titles", though predictably most of them are animation and/or (what I'd call) modern films. Still, several famous classics are included and maybe there would be enough scope for a lavishly illustrated book on Squirrels in the Cinema (unless anyone can think of a nuttier title?)

s.w.a.c.

PostMon May 01, 2017 7:38 am

Doesn't Uncle Billy have a pet squirrel in It's a Wonderful Life? I can't remember what's in his menagerie.

EDIT: Wow, my memory still works!

Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

IA

PostMon May 01, 2017 2:38 pm

Don't forget Adaptive Behavior of Golden-Mantled Ground Squirrels (1942), which is more fun than it sounds. You can watch it here:
http://media.uoregon.edu/channel/archives/5564

And for more information on the film: https://www.filmpreservation.org/blog/2016/6/14/orphan-film-spotlight-adaptive-behavior-of-golden-mantled-ground-squirrels
Last edited by IA on Mon May 01, 2017 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Christopher Jacobs

PostMon May 01, 2017 4:14 pm

The title that first sprang to mind for me with a prominent squirrel scene was Bergman's THE SEVENTH SEAL, where a squirrel jumps up onto a tree stump. As I recall, the story goes that it happened as a coincidence while they were filming and they decided to leave it in. I see that THE SEVENTH SEAL is included in that IMDB chronological list of squirrel movies as #52.

There are tons of cartoons featuring squirrels, and the classic Tex Avery "Screwball Squirrel" series is probably the most memorable.

Daniel Eagan

PostMon May 01, 2017 6:04 pm

IA wrote:Don't forget Adaptive Behavior of Golden-Mantled Ground Squirrels (1942), which is more fun than it sounds. You can watch it here:
http://media.uoregon.edu/channel/archives/5564

And for more information on the film: https://www.filmpreservation.org/blog/2016/6/14/orphan-film-spotlight-adaptive-behavior-of-golden-mantled-ground-squirrels

These are great, but I prefer the "Hollywood-ized" version, Squeak the Squirrel, which can be seen on the Internet Archive: https://archive.org/details/squeak_the_squirrel

Dean Thompson

PostMon May 01, 2017 7:43 pm

Chris Jacobs beat me to The Seventh Seal, but I'll add that some fifty-odd years ago, when my parents plunked down their hard-earned dollars to watch James Bond, I poured myself a glass of chocolate milk and watched Secret Squirrel. Didn't realize at the time how clever the parody was.

There's a lovely and amusing squirrel bit in my favorite silent, Tol'able David. Oh, and doesn't a squirrel frighten Carole Lombard in Nothing Sacred?

IA

PostMon May 01, 2017 8:50 pm

A squirrel also has a prominent cameo in The Birth of a Nation--Mae Marsh exchanges long glances with one before meeting Gus and hurling herself off the mountain.

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostTue May 02, 2017 12:39 pm

Golly! In my defence, I haven't seen some of those films for quite a while. Looks like Nitrateville should start a branch (no pun intended) of the Tufty Club...

...and considering the existence of a book on chickens in film, yes, there is definite scope there...

Rodney

PostTue May 02, 2017 4:46 pm

I had forgotten the one in Birth of a Nation, but yes, Mae Marsh is surprisingly well-entertained by that one.

In Mabel Normand's Mickey, the "meet-cute" involves Mabel skinny-dipping in a mountain lake and then having a squirrel get in her pants as she's trying to get dressed.

In the very obscure The Star Prince, which is an all-child-actor fairy tale that I scored for the Flicker Alley "Early Women Filmmakers" anthology, the Star Prince helps a squirrel who's gotten stuck in a branch. Later he (or she? the titles are confusing) helps the Star Prince find a bag of gold in a tree stump. The squirrel is variously played by a live squirrel and a stuffed one using stop-motion animation.
Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"

dr.giraud

PostFri May 05, 2017 12:31 am

There's a cut to a squirrel in TOL'ABLE DAVID suggesting that maybe one of the characters is . . . nuts.

If you want to include animation, there's Tex Avery's great MGM cartoons about Screwball "Screwy" Squirrel.
dr. giraud

Wm. Charles Morrow

PostFri May 05, 2017 11:31 am

The other night I re-watched Douglas Fairbanks' The Nut. The film's final shot consists of a squirrel eating something [guess what], under a heading which reads: The End of The Nut. Just a cameo, but it ends the movie with a nice little groaner.
-- Charlie Morrow

oldposterho

PostFri May 05, 2017 12:30 pm

A major award for anybody who can name a movie with a squirrel in a Murphy bed.

Spiny Norman

PostSat May 06, 2017 9:02 am

Don't tell me someone is writing a thesis or dissertation about squirrels in the movies.
oldposterho wrote:A major award for anybody who can name a movie with a squirrel in a Murphy bed.
Yes! Or at least in the same movie, definitely!

This is nøt å signåture.™

Spiny Norman

PostSat May 06, 2017 9:04 am

And of course...

Last edited by silentfilm on Mon May 08, 2017 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed YouTube URL

Scoundrel

PostSat May 06, 2017 9:58 am

This is the nuttiest thread on the board.
" You can't take life too seriously...you'll never get out of it alive."

Blackhawk Films customer

s.w.a.c.

PostWed May 10, 2017 1:29 pm

earlytalkiebuffRob wrote:Golly! In my defence, I haven't seen some of those films for quite a while. Looks like Nitrateville should start a branch (no pun intended) of the Tufty Club...

...and considering the existence of a book on chickens in film, yes, there is definite scope there...

Thanks to a find in a Glasgow Oxfam shop, I can include the Tufty Club in my pantheon of pop culture.

I understand there are some animated safety films featuring Tufty informing children of the rules of the road. Here in Canada, we had to make do with Elmer the Safety Elephant, sometimes on the cringe-worthy Uncle Bobby Show.

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostWed May 10, 2017 1:48 pm

s.w.a.c. wrote:
earlytalkiebuffRob wrote:Golly! In my defence, I haven't seen some of those films for quite a while. Looks like Nitrateville should start a branch (no pun intended) of the Tufty Club...

Thanks to a find in a Glasgow Oxfam shop, I can include the Tufty Club in my pantheon of pop culture.

I understand there are some animated safety films featuring Tufty informing children of the rules of the road. Here in Canada, we had to make do with Elmer the Safety Elephant, sometimes on the cringe-worthy Uncle Bobby Show.

Not seen that before! There's one on Amazon for £213.49 plus post.

I do have a couple of Tufty's adventure (with his furryfolk friends) books somewhere...
Last edited by earlytalkiebuffRob on Wed May 10, 2017 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostWed May 10, 2017 1:50 pm

Spiny Norman wrote:And of course...

A sober warning to us all...

Spiny Norman

PostThu May 11, 2017 2:23 am

Or else...: THIS may happen.

(Not sure if youtube links with a time code are working properly so I'll post it as a link.)

s.w.a.c.

PostThu May 11, 2017 12:56 pm

Sadly, a fire destroyed the only known copy of the Theodore Case Sound Test film Miss Manila Martin & Her Pet Squirrel, which came from the same set of performances that yielded the immortal Gus Visser & His Singing Duck.

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostWed Jun 14, 2017 2:58 pm

Just spotted an extract from the Richard Dix - Esther Ralston WOMANHANDLED (1925), with a nut-related scene. Will have to check that one out...

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostSun Sep 10, 2017 5:08 am

LAUGHTER AND TEARS (1921) has one character described as a 'squirrel painter', but little else of this particularly interesting aspect of the film is mentioned.

Return to Talking About Silents