Max Linder

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

2 Reel

Max Linder

PostSun May 28, 2017 4:49 pm

This wonderful comedian has been one of my recent discoveries, as I wander through film history, sampling each the way I also sample a box of chocolates. Does anyone also feel that Charlie Chaplin had more than a passing resemblance to him?

Also, with regards to Max's fame in 2017, few people I've questioned have ever heard of him, which is so opposite that of Chaplin. The mortality rate of Max's films seems to be one of the worst, along with Theda Bara, Dorothy Gish, Wallace Reid, Marion Leonard, Gene Gautier, and so many more, too long a list to repeat here.) Could Max's lack of renown outside of silent film circles be due to the general lack of availability of his titles?
They call me "Dangerous Dal"

Smari1989

Re: Max Linder

PostSun May 28, 2017 5:27 pm

I agree, Max deserves to be better known. The first international movie star, after all (arguably, anyway; I know some make the case for Florence Lawrence/The Biograph Girl).

I'm happy to say that TWO distinct biographies on Max in English are in the works at the moment: one by myself (shameless self-plug) and one by Lisa Stein Haven.

I also wish more of his films were available, though the assortment is better than it was just 10 years ago (with Youtube and all). It's especially sad that his feature THE LITTLE CAFE (1919) remains unavailable for viewing.

notremaxnational

PostMon May 29, 2017 5:19 am

2 Reel wrote:The mortality rate of Max's films seems to be one of the worst, along with Theda Bara, Dorothy Gish, Wallace Reid, Marion Leonard, Gene Gautier, and so many more, too long a list to repeat here.

I wouldn't say that. The fact is, it's unknown, what the 'mortality rate' of his films is, because it is still unknown how many films he actually made. About three quarters of the titles, which have been identified, are known to have survived, which is a pretty good survival rate for that period.

Smari1989

PostMon May 29, 2017 8:40 am

It's true that the survival rate of Linder's films is probably not as dismal as is often reported. Also, the oft-made claim that he appeared in something like 400 films is clearly exaggeration. The majority of his surviving films do remain unavailable or hard to find for general viewing, however.

Return to Talking About Silents