Paternoster Elevator

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Joe Thompson

Paternoster Elevator

PostSun Jun 04, 2017 4:58 pm

Some of you may be familiar with the paternoster elevator, a type once popular in Europe, but now disappearing. Wikipedia has this description: A "paternoster lift is a passenger elevator which consists of a chain of open compartments (each usually designed for two persons) that move slowly in a loop up and down inside a building without stopping. Passengers can step on or off at any floor they like." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paternoster

A friend from France thinks he has seen a silent movie with such a lift in it. Can anyone think of such a scene? I think I have seen it, but can't think of where. I can see a lot of potential for gags.
Regards,
Joe Thompson ;0)
http://bigvriotsquad.blogspot.com/

CoffeeDan

Re: Paternoster Elevator

PostSun Jun 04, 2017 5:36 pm

I remember a paternoster elevator featured in one of the recently restored scenes in Fritz Lang's METROPOLIS.

Hamilton's Grandson

PostSun Jun 04, 2017 9:02 pm

HI Joe,

If you are referring to an elevator that uses counterbalanced weight in the other compartment to go down while people in the opposing elevator go up from a lower level than yes I did see this type of elevator recently in a Jimmie Adams comedy. I think it was Holy Smoke 1921. Or perhaps this is not the same type of elevator you are referring to.

Joe Thompson

PostSun Jun 04, 2017 9:14 pm

Hamilton's Grandson wrote:HI Joe,

If you are referring to an elevator that uses counterbalanced weight in the other compartment to go down while people in the opposing elevator go up from a lower level than yes I did see this type of elevator recently in a Jimmie Adams comedy. I think it was Holy Smoke 1921. Or perhaps this is not the same type of elevator you are referring to.

The paternoster had an endless chain of small cabins that go up one side and down the other, and no doors. People would step on or off when the cabin reached their floor. This is wildly unsafe, so there aren't many of these left.
Regards,
Joe Thompson ;0)

Hamilton's Grandson

PostSun Jun 04, 2017 10:13 pm

I see the image now on wikipedia. Much different design than a counterbalanced lift.

Donald Binks

PostMon Jun 05, 2017 12:48 am

Joe Thompson wrote:
Hamilton's Grandson wrote: This is wildly unsafe,

Only if you are wildly stupid, completely infirm or very wobbly on your pins. They don't go very fast!
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I tawt I taw a Pooty Tat. I did! I did taw a Pooty Tat!

Spiny Norman

PostMon Jun 05, 2017 2:15 pm

Donald Binks wrote:
Joe Thompson wrote:

Only if you are wildly stupid, completely infirm or very wobbly on your pins. They don't go very fast!
The two examples that I have seen are both out of service. Liability lawsuit waiting to happen...
This is nøt å signåture.™

boblipton

PostMon Jun 05, 2017 2:24 pm

The two examples that I have seen are both out of service. Liability lawsuit waiting to happen...[/quote]

What would the lawsuit be? I know I was once trapped on an unmoving escalator for hours.

Bob
Film is not the art of scholars, but of illiterates.

-- Werner Herzog

Jim Roots

PostMon Jun 05, 2017 2:43 pm

boblipton wrote:

The two examples that I have seen are both out of service. Liability lawsuit waiting to happen...

What would the lawsuit be? I know I was once trapped on an unmoving escalator for hours.

Bob[/quote]

How could you be trapped in an escalator? Did you fall through the slats between steps?

Jim

Arndt

PostTue Jun 06, 2017 3:19 am

There are still a few in operation in Germany. I have used them in Cologne and Frankfurt. They have become tourist attractions.
MELIOR

Uncle Claude

PostTue Jun 06, 2017 9:15 am

Here is a video of one in Copenhagen, Denmark.
Last edited by silentfilm on Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Embedd YouTube link

Spiny Norman

PostTue Jun 06, 2017 11:19 am

Jim Roots wrote:
boblipton wrote:

Bob

How could you be trapped in an escalator? Did you fall through the slats between steps?

Jim[/quote]The staff obviously failed to escalate the incident to the technicians.
This is nøt å signåture.™

Gary Newman

PostWed Jun 14, 2017 3:54 pm

It’s not a silent film, but one was featured in a chase scene in the excellent The Counterfeit Traitor (1962), with William Holden.

Joe Thompson

PostWed Jun 14, 2017 7:45 pm

Gary Newman wrote:It’s not a silent film, but one was featured in a chase scene in the excellent The Counterfeit Traitor (1962), with William Holden.

Thank you, Gary. I think I remember that one.
Regards,
Joe Thompson ;0)

Return to Talking About Silents