Modern Times [Charlie Chaplin] Podcasts

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

David Alp

Modern Times [Charlie Chaplin] Podcasts

PostWed Jun 07, 2017 8:51 pm

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned? But I couldn't seem to find it anywhere.

This Modern Times / Charlie Chaplin podcast series is utterly fascinating. And I am discovering SO much about Chaplin, and his films, and his life just through listening to this series of interviews and discussions. I thought I would share them so that everyone else can listen in.

There appear to be 19 of them in all so far. And they are extremely interesting to listen to if you are driving on a long journey, because you can just relax and immerse yourself in them, and they pass the time.

I also listen to them if I'm working around the house, I put my headphones on and listen via the YouTube app.

Another innovative thing that these three do, is that they create their own unique Chaplin Commentary Tracks for some of his movies! What an awesome idea! So you get the DVD or blu-ray, and then you pause it at a certain place where they tell you to, Nigel Dreiner then counts you down -- and you hit play when he says "3...2...1....Now" -- and then you watch the movie, but you listen to their commentary because they are watching the movie with you, in sync. It is SUCH a brilliant idea, and I've kind of spent the last 2 weeks just IMMERSED in Chaplin because I just cannot get enough of these of these podcasts.

A big thank you to Nigel Dreiner, and Anne and Sarah for making these amazing programmes.

Below is a link to number #16 which features a fascinating interview with the late David Shepard.

And below is a link to ALL of the other episodes in the Modern Times series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1i-Mnk ... XBnsOtuznJ" target="_blank

Smari1989

Re: Modern Times [Charlie Chaplin] Podcasts

PostSat Jun 10, 2017 6:03 pm

I wasn't aware of this podcast, thanks for mentioning it. Really enjoyed the Dan Kamin interview, will listen to the Shepard one too.

David Alp

PostSat Jun 10, 2017 7:04 pm

Smari1989 wrote:I wasn't aware of this podcast, thanks for mentioning it. Really enjoyed the Dan Kamin interview, will listen to the Shepard one too.

Yes the David Shepard podcast is a must-listen-to. Because he actually got to meet, and interview Chaplin, on a one-on-one basis in the 1970's, so its fascinating.

Smari1989

PostSun Jun 11, 2017 12:15 pm

I'd no idea Shepard spent a 3-hour breakfast with Chaplin, that's amazing. His impression that Chaplin liked to talk about such topics as philosophy, but tended to have a somewhat superficial understanding of them, may have been echoed by others as well -- although I think it bears mentioning that Chaplin still probably knew more about Rousseau, etc than most silent comedians.

Return to Talking About Silents