Sun. on TCM: "The First Auto" (1927)

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Big Silent Fan

Sun. on TCM: "The First Auto" (1927)

PostSat Jun 17, 2017 8:20 am

"The First Auto" (1927) features an early lampoon of those early 'Tin Lizzy's" when the horse was the primary means of transportation. Since it's also a father & son story, it's perfect for Father's Day.
In this, you'll see actual race car drivers and some of them competing on the dirt race track.
Lead actor, Charles Emmett Mack does a fine job playing the son whose become enamored with auto racing. If the name seems a bit unfamiliar, this was his final film. Driving to work near the end of filming, he was in a real automobile accident that ended his life.

The film is Silent, but the original musical score includes a single spoken word.

Well worth looking at if you've never seen this before.

George O'Brien

Re: Sun. on TCM: "The First Auto" (1927)

PostTue Jun 20, 2017 9:47 pm

Charles Emmet Mack is not that obscure a name for silent film buffs. He had leading roles in two D. W. Griffith film I have seen, "Dream Street" (1921) and "America" (1924).
"This bar of likker is now a bar of justice!"

Javier

PostWed Jun 21, 2017 12:14 am

George O'Brien wrote:Charles Emmet Mack is not that obscure a name for silent film buffs. He had leading roles in two D. W. Griffith film I have seen, "Dream Street" (1921) and "America" (1924).

He also appeared with Charles Farrel in "The Rough Riders"(sadly lost.) I wish there was a way to view the fragments that survived of the film.
"The first Auto" is a very enjoyable film, I got it when Warner Archive used to have those wonderful 5 movies-bundle bargains.
"it's a Kafka high, you feel like a bug"

Spiny Norman

PostWed Jun 21, 2017 1:02 am

Javier wrote:I wish there was a way to view the fragments that survived of the film.
Depends where they are kept, I suppose. At the LoC, you could probably order a copy.
This is nøt å signåture.™

Javier

PostWed Jun 21, 2017 6:05 pm

Thank you Spiny Norman. I will look into it. For what I know there is also footage of rehearsals that survived.
"it's a Kafka high, you feel like a bug"

The Blackbird

PostFri Jun 23, 2017 12:32 am

Don't forget Mack's starring turn in THE DEVIL'S CIRCUS. His career sure looked promising....

Return to Talking About Silents