Nitrate Clips #2

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

tguinan

Nitrate Clips #2

PostSun Jun 18, 2017 10:07 pm

Here are some clips from a 2nd nitrate film I picked up. Photos are on Flickr. Any idea who anyone in these are?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157685232543825

Hamilton's Grandson

Re: Nitrate Clips #2

PostSun Jun 18, 2017 10:16 pm

See my reply on Clips # 1 . All these scenes on flickr look like from Calendar Girl 1917.
Mark Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com

tguinan

PostSun Jun 18, 2017 10:58 pm

Okay, thank you. Do you know if the film is available anywhere?

Spiny Norman

PostMon Jun 19, 2017 2:52 am

tguinan wrote:Okay, thank you. Do you know if the film is available anywhere?
It's hard to say if it's a lost film, but it doesn't actually seem to be available anywhere as far as I could see on short notice.
This is nøt å signåture.™

silentfilm

PostMon Jun 19, 2017 11:22 am

The Library of Congress database shows this title as a lost film. Hopefully you can get it to an archive so that it can be preserved.

http://memory.loc.gov/diglib/ihas/loc.mbrs.sfdb.4118/default.html

tguinan

PostMon Jun 19, 2017 3:00 pm

Yes, eventually all of my nitrate collection will be donated.

tguinan

PostMon Jun 19, 2017 3:39 pm

This batch of nitrate I got has some interesting titles in it. I flew to London and picked them up and had them shipped home. Only two are complete, The Lost Appetite (1917) and Boobley's Baby (1915). I know the LOC has a copy of Boobley's Baby that has about 2 minutes missing, but this copy is complete. I'm having these two transferred. The other films are single reels of multiple reel films, or just short clips.

Mask of Affliction (1914) (last reel)
The Girl, Glory (1917) (1st reel)
Lasca (1913) with Martha Russell (1/2 of 1st reel w/ title & cast identified)
Hungry Lions in a Hospital (about 200 feet of first reel) I know that this film has been preserved, but is missing about 6 minutes. Does anyone know who has it and what part is missing?

The Calendar Girl (1917) (most of 1st reel) which you guys have just identified for me. Thanks!!!

2 other reels I still have to identify. One of these is multi tinted with blue, green, yellow and bright orange tints. I have to say the tints are gorgeous!

boblipton

PostMon Jun 19, 2017 3:46 pm

Any chance you will be posting your print of Boobley's Baby or otherwise making it available? I'd like to find out what's in those missing minutes of this fine Mr. ^ Mrs. Sidney Drew comedy.

Bob
To remain ignorant of what occurred before before you were born is to remain forever a child.
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

tguinan

PostMon Jun 19, 2017 6:16 pm

Yes, I will. They are both with the person who does nitrate transfers for me. He's checking them over to make sure they will go through his machine okay. Once the transfer is done I'll had some music to them. Then I will stick them on Ebay. I will add a post here when I get them ready.

tguinan

PostMon Jun 19, 2017 6:46 pm

Does anyone know what relation Cora Drew was to Sidney Drew? She went by several names according to IMDB.

Elizabeth Drew
Cora Drew
Cora Rankin Drew
Mrs Cora Drew

boblipton

PostMon Jun 19, 2017 7:30 pm

Well, the names "Drew" and "Rankin" make one think of two of the strands of the much-married Barrymore clan.

Bob
To remain ignorant of what occurred before before you were born is to remain forever a child.
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Dean Thompson

PostMon Jun 19, 2017 7:41 pm

tguinan wrote:Does anyone know what relation Cora Drew was to Sidney Drew? She went by several names according to IMDB.

Elizabeth Drew
Cora Drew
Cora Rankin Drew
Mrs Cora Drew

There's a Barrymore/Drew family tree on the rear flyleaves of Margot Peters' The House of Barrymore, but I cannot find a Cora Drew.

Hamilton's Grandson

PostMon Jun 19, 2017 8:47 pm

Congrats tg on your nitrate discoveries.

AFI (1921-1930) has a lot of Drew actors/actresses with that last name. Unclear if any of them are duplicates and a few of these may be completely different performers. They have Anne Drew, C.P. Drew, Cora Drew, Dorothy Drew, Florence Drew, Jerry Drew, Lillian Drew, Lowell Drew, Mrs. Sidney Drew, Norma Drew, Roland Drew, and Sidney Drew.

AFI 1911-1920 does not have a credit index in my hard bound text to refer just titles.

A real head scratcher.
Mark Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com

tguinan

PostMon Jun 19, 2017 10:12 pm

I thought since she also had the Rankin name that there must be a connection, but maybe not.

tguinan

PostMon Jun 19, 2017 10:15 pm

Good news, the gentleman who transfers my nitrate films says Boobley's Baby is in good enough condition to go through his machine! He'll examine The Lost Appetite tomorrow night.

goldenband

PostTue Jun 20, 2017 8:03 am

This is great news!
tguinan wrote:Mask of Affliction (1914) (last reel)

Have any of these films been otherwise preserved? I found a reference noting that The Girl, Glory was on an AFI "rescue list" as of December 1967, while another source indicated 3 of 5 reels were held by the Eastman House as of 1989.

tguinan

PostTue Jun 20, 2017 9:53 am

I don't know, but I've sent and email to GEH and also the LOC to find out.

tguinan

PostTue Jun 20, 2017 9:55 am

One of the two remaining unidentified films is The Law of the North (1917) Reel 5 (last reel).

tguinan

PostThu Jun 22, 2017 1:07 pm

goldenband wrote:This is great news!
tguinan wrote:Mask of Affliction (1914) (last reel)

Have any of these films been otherwise preserved? I found a reference noting that The Girl, Glory was on an AFI "rescue list" as of December 1967, while another source indicated 3 of 5 reels were held by the Eastman House as of 1989.

Heard back from the LOC and GEH. There is a copy of The Girl Glory at the Cinémathèque Française in Paris, but no mention of its condition or format. The LOC has a copy of The Law of the North in 16mm. None of the others are known to exist.

tguinan

PostThu Jun 22, 2017 1:17 pm

I picked up both The Lost Appetite and Boobley's Baby last night! They are 2k scans. Had a chance to watch Boobley's Baby before going to bed. What a fun film! I am taking the nitrate prints with me to the Broncho Billy Film Festival this weekend and they'll store the prints for me. If anyone here is going look me up!

tguinan

PostThu Jun 29, 2017 1:43 pm

So here's an update. I took the nitrate prints with me to the Broncho Billy Film Festival last weekend and deposited them with the Niles Essanay Silent Film Museum. I gave copies of the transfers to David Kiehn. Also had a nice time chatting with Sam Gill and gave him copies. The copies they got are at 24 fps, so a little fast. But I didn't have time to slow them down at that point. The last couple of nights I have worked on mastering the prints at 18 fps and added a music score and just finished last night and printed a small batch of each. Thought I would put them up on Ebay by the weekend with proceeds to go the Niles Museum. But, I just got an email this morning from David Drazin, a superb silent film accompianist, who is offering to do the scores for the films. I am accepting his offer so the films will be delayed. Should I go ahead and put the small batch on Ebay, or just wait a month or so until David's score is available?

goldenband

PostFri Jun 30, 2017 10:09 pm

I think the newly-composed scores will add a lot of value and enjoyment to the films, so from where I sit that'd be more than worth the wait. That said, there's nothing preventing you from putting the DVDs you have up for sale, since there may well be folks who'd rather see a formerly-lost film right away, even with a non-original score.

tguinan

PostFri Jul 14, 2017 3:37 pm

Quick update - David Drazin sent his scores back, got them today and they sound GREAT!. I'll work on getting them synced up this weekend. I am also working on a little booklet to go into the Lost Appetite similar to what I put into the Texas Guinan/Hallroom boys DVD's.

tguinan

PostFri Jul 14, 2017 3:47 pm

Here are some comments from David Drazin about the two movies.

Tguinan: Wow! You are fast!! Can't wait to hear them. I thought I'd have another week or two to finish up the booklet. Looks like I'll have a busy weekend.

David: Well, I like to have three weeks just in case, but those two are fascinating.

Tguinan: So you enjoyed them? I know I did!

David:
Yes, I really like Sidney Drew. He seemed to be immersed in film making in a special way. Every shot counts. Is the tall skinny fellow in the office Eddie Dunn? He looks familiar. We spelled the name in the streetcar which is in reverse. Carol got it first. At the beginning it seems to be Flatbush Ave., then it's Hamburg Ave. which would put them in Brooklyn. Carol researched that Hamburg was changed to Wilson Ave. in 1917 because of the war.

Perhaps the plot of The Lost Appetite is a little iffy, as the joke is his appetite is not as huge as usual, just gigantic so he's "lost his appetite" comparatively. I liked how his mother in the country looks like she hasn't updated her attire since 1895. It's great that you've saved these. It's hard to realize that the people who saw them originally probably forgot all about them in the continuing sea of movies.

Return to Talking About Silents