Chaplin Studios movie

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

ChaplinLibrary

Chaplin Studios movie

PostFri Jul 21, 2017 2:26 am

Currently on sale on ebay.com http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-16mm-Film- ... 2188638019? is a silent movie shot in the Chaplin Studios after Chaplin's departure from the USA. A young woman is given a tour of the Studios by Rollie Totheroh (Chaplin's cameraman for 38 years). The views of the prop department store are very interesting. That's a real part of movie history!
Maybe the buyer (if there is any, if we consider the price of the bid!!) will make the film available some day.

silentfilm

Re: Chaplin Studios movie

PostFri Jul 21, 2017 11:22 am

I saw that yesterday. They must think that the Chaplin Estate will bid on this film, because it certainly will not get any other bids at the opening $1995 that they are asking. It certainly looks interesting though.

JFK

Chaplin Studios movie

PostFri Jul 21, 2017 9:38 pm

16mm black and white film showing a rare glimpse into Chaplin Studios backlot near Sunset Blvd and La Brea Ave in Hollywood. My sense from visual clues is that this was shot after 1947 and prior to the end of 1953 when Chaplin Studios was sold. The reel is marked with a piece of tape reading "Kathryn Reed Print". That may be the name of the woman seen on the tour.'
A serious bidder might want to ask if this is the only copy, who holds the rights, and when and how it was acquired.
Someone even-more-curious might wonder if "Kathryn Reed" -whom the seller suggests may be the woman in the film- is the former showgirl/performer, and Robert Altman widow, who died last year at age 91.
My eyes are not good enough to judge.

A 1954 shot of the Kathryn Reed whom Altman wed ?
Last edited by JFK on Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

wich2

PostSat Jul 22, 2017 10:30 am

Hollywood person, roundish face, dark hair - at least looks possible?

By the by - didn't THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN shoot there in the '50s?

ChaplinLibrary

PostSun Jul 23, 2017 4:08 am

JFK wrote:A serious bidder might want to ask if this is the only copy, who holds the rights, and when and how it was acquired.

I've asked the seller about the origin of that movie. Here follows his answer:

"All I really can tell you is we have a warehouse and we often buy wholes estates. Things get boxed up and then sometimes sit around for years. I opened a bin filled with some old films and reel to reel recordings and there it was! It was unmarked. I only figured out what I was looking at about halfway through. It just came to me it must be Chaplin's studio...then I saw the costume and the sign at the end and patted myself on the back!"

ChaplinLibrary

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 5:04 am

JFK wrote:Someone even-more-curious might wonder if "Kathryn Reed" -whom the seller suggests may be the woman in the film- is the former showgirl/performer, and

David Totheroh, Rollie's grandson, has confirmed to a huge Chaplin fan that the young woman is Kathryn REED, later Robert Altman's wife. According to him, "Kathryn Reed was there just after the announcement that Chaplin would not be returning to the US. This footage is most likely B-Roll from a news story she was doing about the studio now that Chaplin was barred from returning to the US and would be staying in Europe".

JFK

More Questions in the "none of my business" category

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 6:56 am

ChaplinLibrary wrote:David Totheroh, Rollie's grandson, has confirmed to a huge Chaplin fan that the young woman is Kathryn REED, later Robert Altman's wife.
Then is it possible the copy of this film belonged to the recently deceased Reed- and if so, was it removed from her possession with either her full knowledge/approval, or with the approval of her family or estate?
ChaplinLibrary wrote:I've asked the seller about the origin of that movie. Here follows his answer:
"All I really can tell you is we have a warehouse and we often buy wholes estates. Things get boxed up and then sometimes sit around for years. I opened a bin filled with some old films and reel to reel recordings and there it was!"
Is it possible, then, that other Reed/Altman films/recordings might have been in the same bin? And, If so, does the family know, and, if so, do family members, or archivists, have/want/need duplicates ?

A son is on Twitter https://mobile.twitter.com/artvortex

Brooksie

New Chaplin Studio Footage Discovered

PostMon Jul 31, 2017 9:46 pm

There's recently been some buzz on the internet about newly discovered footage of a backlot tour of the Charlie Chaplin Studios on La Brea Ave, which turned up on Ebay. The listing (still online at http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-16mm-Film-CHARLIE-CHAPLIN-STUDIOS-Backlot-Tour-1940s-PROPS-amp-TRAMP-COSTUME-/292188638019) shows Chaplin's longtime cameraman Rollie Totheroh and some fascinating screencaps, including Chaplin's signature in the front step (which was later souvenired by Red Skelton), the back lot, and some of the cogs from Modern Times.

The good news is that the Chaplin estate have purchased the film, so hopefully we will now be able to see it in its entirety.

Hamilton's Grandson

Re: New Chaplin Studio Footage Discovered

PostMon Jul 31, 2017 10:05 pm

Thanks Brooksie for the update. Was wondering what would become of this interesting ebay tidbit.
Mark Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com

ChaplinLibrary

PostTue Aug 01, 2017 7:06 am

Great news!! The Chaplin Office won the bid for the film. It will be well preserved!!

Return to Talking About Silents