Fy & Bi (Ole & Axel): Lumpenkavaliere (1932)

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

violinconcerto

Fy & Bi (Ole & Axel): Lumpenkavaliere (1932)

PostMon Aug 07, 2017 2:22 pm

Hello silent movie experts!

I am a music researcher and no silent movie expert. But I am right now researching about a violinist who had a guest appearance (with fiddling his violin) in the film "Lumpenkavaliere" by the Danish comedy duo Fy & Bi (or Ole & Axel, Long & Short, Pat & Patachon, etc - differs in each language). The film was made 1932 in Austria under director Carl Boese, hence the German title (the Danish translation is "Glade Gøglere"). This recording is very important for my research because it seems to be the only recording of this violinist with his invented 7-string violin - an instrument now lost.
So I checked different sites to find a DVD or any other source for a recording of the film, but had to find out that there are many Fy & Bi films on DVD - but the film "Lumpenkavaliere" is not traceable. So actually I am without ideas where or how to go on with my search for this film.

Now I have the hope that the one or other member of this forum is an admirer of Fy & Bi and can help me to find a copy of this film (or at least the snippet with the violinist). So if you are such a fan, please drop me a line.

Best,
Tobias

boblipton

Re: Fy & Bi (Ole & Axel): Lumpenkavaliere (1932)

PostMon Aug 07, 2017 2:53 pm

About fifteen or so years ago there was a set of their movies issued by a German label, Kinowelt. the same one that did the German Laurel & Hardy set. The reissues were in seriously abbreviated versions (their 1926 version of Don Quixote was cut from three hours to 48 minutes). Hope that's what you want, or points you in the right direction.

Bob
To remain ignorant of what occurred before before you were born is to remain forever a child.
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

violinconcerto

PostTue Aug 08, 2017 12:36 am

I don't know if that helps me. Of course I checked amazon and found several DVD sets with films by Fy & Bi, but none of these sets contained the film "Lumpenkavaliere". Maybe I looked too fast on this or checked the wrong site, so can you please lead me to the DVD of "Lumpenkavaliere"?

Connoisseur

PostTue Aug 08, 2017 8:45 am

I would suggest that you contact the "Deutsches Film Institut" which are named as rights holders...

tguinan

PostTue Aug 08, 2017 4:23 pm

It's available on ebay from Germany https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xlumpenkavaliere.TRS0&_nkw=lumpenkavaliere&_sacat=0

It will probably be in PAL so you will need either a region free player or use a computer to watch it.

ajabrams

PostTue Aug 08, 2017 11:08 pm

tguinan wrote:It's available on ebay from Germany https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xlumpenkavaliere.TRS0&_nkw=lumpenkavaliere&_sacat=0

It will probably be in PAL so you will need either a region free player or use a computer to watch it.

That listing is not for a dvd or tape recording. It's for a copy of the Film Kurier which was a German magazine/newspaper
that was issued daily. It had cast listings and pictures from newly released films and was published for many years.

tguinan

PostWed Aug 09, 2017 5:50 pm

Sorry about that. My mistake

andybenz

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 10:51 am

According to this list from the German Bundesarchiv LUMPENKAVALIERE (No. 197) is a lost film:

http://www.bundesarchiv.de/imperia/md/c ... nfilme.pdf

poul

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 1:46 pm

andybenz wrote:According to this list from the German Bundesarchiv LUMPENKAVALIERE (No. 197) is a lost film:

http://www.bundesarchiv.de/imperia/md/c ... nfilme.pdf" target="_blank

Is that really true - it´s not even that old. I thought all their films had survived.

Return to Talking About Silents