Rudi Blesh- The Two Worlds of Buster Keaton

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

JFK

Rudi Blesh- The Two Worlds of Buster Keaton

PostMon Aug 21, 2017 8:26 pm

Is the presumed winner of this lot the same group that purchased the on-location photos, and Bruckman script, from The General,
which were then supposed to be published? Or is my memory woozy?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buster-Keaton-photos-manuscripts-/142468146348/
Aug 16, 2017 , 1:10PM
Winning bid:US $7,000.00 [ 1 bid ]
Shipping: $64.23 Standard Shipping

"Treasure trove of Buster Keaton research material. In the early 1950s my grandfather Rudi Blesh lived with Buster, his wife Eleanor and mother Myra in Hollywood, researching the book that would be eventually published in 1965 as KEATON, Buster's only approved biography. Included in this collection are: 2 1/4 notebooks of Rudi's research notes, Rudi's original 1956 manuscript The Two Worlds of Buster Keaton (different than KEATON and full of unseen material), all the original photos (approximately 87) from Buster's collection used in KEATON, the manuscript (with corrections) of KEATON, one of Buster's home modified porkpie hats, given to Rudi as a gift and a few other items including letters, and recipes from Myra Keaton.

(Photos of Buster with Rudi and David Bowie with KEATON for reference only, not included in sale)

I have not read The Two Worlds of Buster Keaton in its entirety, but looking it over I would say it is entirely different than KEATON. Two Worlds is more anecdotal while KEATON has more overview and background. Many stories apparently based on interviews with Buster, including much more about the Arbuckle trial in Two Worlds. Because the section headings are the same I had assumed for years that they were roughly the same book. When I looked at Two Worlds while photographing two of its pages I started to realize it was really a totally different book. It appears KEATON was a total rewrite. Hope this helps."

Question & Answer Answered On
Q: This msg is for Rudi Blesh's grandson: Not sure if you remember me. I'm Patricia Eliot Tobias, president emerita of the International Buster Keaton Society. I saw the eBay listing of your grandfather's research materials and photos, and our organization is potentially interested in bidding. I was hoping we could see an itemized list of what this entails. I'm not sure our Finance Committee will agree to allow us to bid on the collection unless they know exactly what's included. For example, does it include audio recordings of his interviews (other than those you mentioned with Buster himself), or at least detailed notes from those interviews? What exactly are the 87 photos? That kind of thing. Could you get back to me as soon as you can so I can set the wheels in motion? Thanks so much, Patty Tobias Aug-07-17
A: sherlockjr: Some updating on the notebooks, there are 2 full notebooks and another just about 1/4 full. They contain Rudi's research notes, some of which may or may not have been from actual interviews with Buster. I have amended the ad to show this clarification. The most interesting stuff in my view is to be found in the unpublished manuscript The Two Worlds of Buster Keaton, written in 1955. Although it shares the same title headings as KEATON it appears to be a much different book with more direct quotes from Buster. The photos are as described in the listing, the originals of the pictures used in KEATON. Most are vintage 1920s prints from 8X10 camera shots taken to establish scenes for additional filming later. Some are modern prints from vintage negatives made when KEATON was published and a few were copy shots of personal family pictures of the Keatons. Look at that book to see the shots as reproduced. The hat is real and has been in our collection since Rudi passed away. Hope this is helpful.

Return to Talking About Silents