The Perils of IMDb

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Harlowgold

The Perils of IMDb

PostTue Sep 05, 2017 4:12 pm

It's great IMDb is so open to information on bit players and added information for listing but sometimes it's a little too open-minded case in point:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0231758/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_3"

I mean really - Ethel Barrymore, Mrs. Fiske, Maude Adams, et al playing bit parts in a silent short!!

boblipton

Re: The Perils of IMDb

PostTue Sep 05, 2017 4:17 pm

I think it's funny. Funnier than the movie.

Bob
To remain ignorant of what occurred before before you were born is to remain forever a child.
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Spiny Norman

PostTue Sep 05, 2017 9:59 pm

You can verify here:

And...?
This is nøt å signåture.™

MattBarry

PostSat Sep 09, 2017 10:15 pm

It looks like someone has been adding erroneous credits to some of the early Edison subjects on IMDB. This one for "European Rest Cure" (1904) lists John and Ethel Barrymore, Walter Huston and Eleanor Roosevelt(!) among the cast:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0231549/ful ... t_ov_st_sm

Harlowgold

PostSun Sep 10, 2017 1:18 pm

MattBarry wrote:It looks like someone has been adding erroneous credits to some of the early Edison subjects on IMDB. This one for "European Rest Cure" (1904) lists John and Ethel Barrymore, Walter Huston and Eleanor Roosevelt(!) among the cast:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0231549/ful ... t_ov_st_sm" target="_blank" target="_blank

I suspect it's the same person - they also had Eleanor Roosevelt as one of the "brides" at one point - and apparently the person who is submitting this information is also one of the reviewers as they claim to spot them in their review (and Ms. R) and makes similar comments in other reviews posted.

Spiny Norman

PostSun Sep 10, 2017 2:21 pm

It IS possible to bring this to IMDB staff attention of course. Submit correction or discuss matter on contributor zone.

Jim Roots

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 5:43 am

It really sounds like our supposedly dead friend F. Gwynplaine McIntyre is zombying around the IMDb again.

Jim

MattBarry

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 2:43 pm

It's a pity, because it is very difficult to remove that information, especially after it gets picked up by other sites that aggregate from IMDB, or gets published in a book. I see that these credits have also been added to the individual Wikipedia pages, so the misinformation is spreading already.

Spiny Norman

PostTue Sep 12, 2017 5:12 am

MattBarry wrote:It's a pity, because it is very difficult to remove that information, especially after it gets picked up by other sites that aggregate from IMDB, or gets published in a book. I see that these credits have also been added to the individual Wikipedia pages, so the misinformation is spreading already.
But there you can see who added it, and if it was always the same person he could be informed or if it's deliberate, warned.

boblipton

PostTue Sep 12, 2017 5:30 am

If anyone has mentioned this to the IMDB, please step forth. If no one does, I will go do it myself.

Bob
To remain ignorant of what occurred before before you were born is to remain forever a child.
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Spiny Norman

PostTue Sep 12, 2017 12:46 pm

boblipton wrote:If anyone has mentioned this to the IMDB, please step forth. If no one does, I will go do it myself.

Bob
Earlier today I did contact the person who is posting these selected filmographies on wikipedia. Not sure if he's seen it yet.

Feufollet

PostTue Sep 12, 2017 3:39 pm

Spiny Norman wrote:But there you can see who added it, and if it was always the same person he could be informed or if it's deliberate, warned.

Based on the IMDb reviews, it looks to be always the same person there as well: http://www.imdb.com/user/ur3096854/

Louis Pelletier

PostTue Sep 12, 2017 10:31 pm

boblipton wrote:If anyone has mentioned this to the IMDB, please step forth. If no one does, I will go do it myself.

Bob

I did contact IMDb a few days ago. Haven't heard back from them yet. The last time I used the "edit" function, many weeks passed before they got back to me, but the corrections were eventually made.

Spiny Norman

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 6:01 am

Louis Pelletier wrote:

Bob

I did contact IMDb a few days ago. Haven't heard back from them yet. The last time I used the "edit" function, many weeks passed before they got back to me, but the corrections were eventually made.
The contributor zone might be a better option. But I don't always know the details of this, so I'm not sure if I am the best spokesperson. Oh OK, I'll do it since everyone else prefers to complain.

Sadly the wikipedia contributor says that he checked them to verify and thinks they are correct. And 1904 films like European Rest Cure or How the Frenchman Got A Wife are on youtube.
But I don't find enough details there to verify anything. All longshots with not much detail... (The women could have been played by medium convincing transvestites for all I can see.)

Nevertheless instead of lamenting the state of things over here, we can all correct credits on wikipedia, comment on the talk pages about their unlikeliness (in case discussion springs up), and similar on the IMDb. I've just removed Ethel Barrymore's 1904-5 film credits.

Anyone is welcome to add their voice to the matter on wikipedia and the IMDb contributor zone, where it might have more effect than over here.

Brooksie

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 11:55 am

If I don't see a detail in the AFI Catalogue, I take a pretty dim view of it. It's not unimpeachable - I've found the occasional error or omission myself - but it's a much more credible source than either the IMdB or Wikipedia. The main details are searchable by anyone at http://www.afi.com/members/catalog/. It might be worth posting that link to the interested parties.

Spiny Norman

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 6:10 am

IMDB has removed the credits following my post in their contributor zone.

Spiny Norman

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 8:42 am

By the way what are the opinions on these 5 films then? Are these "uncredited" listings also fake? It again concerns Porter directed Edison films starring Barrymores. Looks a bit suspicious to me.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0477377/ful ... cl_sm#cast" target="_blank

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0000519/ful ... cl_sm#cast" target="_blank

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0477372/ful ... cl_sm#cast" target="_blank

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0234247/ful ... cl_sm#cast" target="_blank

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0477345/ful ... cl_sm#cast" target="_blank

R Michael Pyle

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 9:18 am

Well, in answer to your question, I have one: how is that your fourth film has a credit for Harry Carey, Sr., yet the credits on his own site on the IMDb don't own those credits? How can it be in one place, but not in the other? Yes, something's more than fishy, it's rot!

Spiny Norman

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 10:43 am

R Michael Pyle wrote:Well, in answer to your question, I have one: how is that your fourth film has a credit for Harry Carey, Sr., yet the credits on his own site on the IMDb don't own those credits? How can it be in one place, but not in the other? Yes, something's more than fishy, it's rot!
What are you talking about, they're there (wrong or not), the one for the other and vice versa.

R Michael Pyle

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 11:00 am

Spiny Norman wrote:
R Michael Pyle wrote:Well, in answer to your question, I have one: how is that your fourth film has a credit for Harry Carey, Sr., yet the credits on his own site on the IMDb don't own those credits? How can it be in one place, but not in the other? Yes, something's more than fishy, it's rot!
What are you talking about, they're there (wrong or not), the one for the other and vice versa.

It seems to me that a database that doesn't transfer data to all threads concurrently of its base is poorly put together. All computerized data seemingly would do that today. So, if under "Harry Carey, Sr." all his films are listed, it seems very strange to me that under a separate film heading, "The Miller's Daughter" (1905), Carey's name appears as one of the actors, and yet the film isn't in the composite index under his films listed under his name. Seems as if cross-referencing doesn't exist.

boblipton

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 11:21 am

R Michael Pyle wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:

It seems to me that a database that doesn't transfer data to all threads concurrently of its base is poorly put together. All computerized data seemingly would do that today. So, if under "Harry Carey, Sr." all his films are listed, it seems very strange to me that under a separate film heading, "The Miller's Daughter" (1905), Carey's name appears as one of the actors, and yet the film isn't in the composite index under his films listed under his name. Seems as if cross-referencing doesn't exist.

I just went to the IMDB, checked the title, found the title, clicked on Harry Carey's name and was taken to his page, and found the listing there. I also put in Mr. Carey's name, selected the relevant one, and found The Miller's Daughter (1905) listed as an acting credit.

I am mildly curious about my ability to confirm that this aspect of the IMDb works as it should while you could not.

Bob
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

R Michael Pyle

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 11:27 am

I humbly beg all of your pardons here, I was looking under the "Writer" credits because I accidentally moved my mouse down too far!! My mistake! I apologize... But - I'm still curious about the credit anyway...

Spiny Norman

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 11:39 am

Spiny Norman wrote:By the way what are the opinions on these 5 films then? Are these "uncredited" listings also fake? It again concerns Porter directed Edison films starring Barrymores. Looks a bit suspicious to me.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0477377/ful ... cl_sm#cast" target="_blank" target="_blank

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0000519/ful ... cl_sm#cast" target="_blank" target="_blank

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0477372/ful ... cl_sm#cast" target="_blank" target="_blank

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0234247/ful ... cl_sm#cast" target="_blank" target="_blank

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0477345/ful ... cl_sm#cast" target="_blank" target="_blank
So, these five. Wrong or right?

MattBarry

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 11:58 am

The credits for THE KLEPTOMANIAC, at least, appear to be correct. I checked my copy of "Before the Nickelodeon" by Charles Musser, which reproduces an Edison catalogue ("Document No. 17") that includes the same cast listing (see page 297) as published on the IMDB.
__
Matt Barry
Kino Lorber, Inc.

MattBarry

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 12:08 pm

And as for the credits for the Barrymores, Maude Adams, Fay Templeton, etc. on other films, they are almost certainly false. Neither Musser nor Niver (at least for the films that are included in "Early Motion Pictures: The Paper Print Collection in the Library of Congress") makes any reference to them whatsoever, and looking at my copy of the Kino Edison DVD for reference, the actors do not even resemble these famous figures, to my eye at least. Unless the original contributor has some evidence beyond thinking that he or she "recognizes" them in the film, I think their appearances here can be safely ruled out.
__
Matt Barry
Kino Lorber, Inc.

Spiny Norman

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 2:11 pm

MattBarry wrote:And as for the credits for the Barrymores, Maude Adams, Fay Templeton, etc. on other films, they are almost certainly false. Neither Musser nor Niver (at least for the films that are included in "Early Motion Pictures: The Paper Print Collection in the Library of Congress") makes any reference to them whatsoever, and looking at my copy of the Kino Edison DVD for reference, the actors do not even resemble these famous figures, to my eye at least. Unless the original contributor has some evidence beyond thinking that he or she "recognizes" them in the film, I think their appearances here can be safely ruled out.
Will remove what I can.

And "Nervy Nat"? Any opinions?
John Barrymore ... Black Pullman porter (uncredited)
Arthur Byron Arthur Byron ... The Groom (uncredited)
Evelyn Nesbit Evelyn Nesbit ... The Young Wife (uncredited)
Francis Wilson Francis Wilson ... Nervy Nat (uncredited)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0477345/ful ... cl_sm#cast" target="_blank
http://www.afi.com/members/catalog/Abbr ... ovie=32797
Last edited by Spiny Norman on Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boblipton

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 2:17 pm

I suggest that all of these are false. Suggest to the IMDb that the source of these is conducting a massive hoax and if their system allows their admins to figure out whose "corrections" added these credits, to remove them in toto.

The best of us can make errors. These are fraudulent.

Bob
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Spiny Norman

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 2:46 pm

I've reported these ones too except for Kleptomaniac.

Harlowgold

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 2:53 pm

Jim Roots wrote:It really sounds like our supposedly dead friend F. Gwynplaine McIntyre is zombying around the IMDb again.

Jim
It crossed my mind that this person was the heir to McIntyre. FGM is definitely dead, of course - his violent suicide several years back (burning up his apartment apparently in hopes of taking others with him) managed to get him the New York Times article he craved so much in life.

Spiny Norman

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 2:54 pm

Next

Return to Talking About Silents