Was She Really in the Movies?

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

tthacker

Was She Really in the Movies?

PostSat Sep 16, 2017 7:23 pm

I've come across someone in my research who claimed in 1922 to have appeared in movies (indeed, to have been an actual star), but I have so far found no credits for her. For a few years, up to about 1914, she mainly did vaudeville and cabaret, but moved to Los Angeles in 1915 or so. Her stage names were Zshean Coviere and Billy Coviere, but in LA she seems to have used her (mostly) real name of Genevieve Donna Couviere. She could have appeared in a Mary Pickford film, as she was apparently Mary's personal stenographer for a time. Here's a couple of photos of her from around 1913:

Does she look familiar to anyone?

Hamilton's Grandson

Re: Was She Really in the Movies?

PostSat Sep 16, 2017 8:01 pm

The Altoona Times article of 9 Feb 1912 has her as a former resident of the city and mentions her name as Miss Genevieve Cover (aka Miss Zshean Coviere) a former Harrisburg roof garden singer and vaudeville performer with a traveling theatrical company. It also mentions that at that time (2/1912) she married Mr. Sidney Lowenstein in Wilmington , DE after knowing him for 8 days. He, at that time, was an orchestra leader in the Philadelphia area. It mentions she was born in Madrid, Spain with dark complexion and black eyes.

Variety June 1912 mentions Zshean Coviere as a cabaret singer at the "Garden" on 50th street.

Otherwise, I didn't see any mention of her in newspapers.com or lantern after 1912.

Any other name she went by?
Mark Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com
Joseph Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com

tthacker

PostSat Sep 16, 2017 9:36 pm

As the article states, her real name was Genevieve Cover, although she was born in Johnstown, Pennsylvania, not Madrid, Spain. If her marriage to Sidney Lowenstein was legit, it didn't last very long. Early the next year, she married song composer Bert Grant. That marriage was short-lived as well. By at least 1915, she was living with photographer Nelson Evans as his wife. Whether they were officially married at the time is something I've not yet determined; it may not have happened until 1919. They divorced in 1921. In 1922 she married a Charles Travis, apparently as a reaction to Evans remarrying. In the late 20s she married her final husband, an auto dealer named Lucien Miller. At some point she ended up in Las Vegas as the manager of a nursing home. She died in 1964.

tthacker

PostSun Sep 17, 2017 7:29 pm

I did manage to find a 1959 interview with Ms. Coviere. She said that she appeared in several movies, including To Have and To Hold in 1916, a Sennett short (possibly Teddy at the Throttle based on her description), and Valentino's The Conquering Power, which was the last film she appeared in. She was more than likely only an extra, a step down from the minor success she had on stage a few years earlier.

Hamilton's Grandson

PostMon Sep 18, 2017 9:19 pm

Since The Conquering Power 1921 may have been the last film she was in, perhaps she went back to singing for some time in the 20's?

Trust me, locating uncredited cast members within known titles is challenging enough, but once you find out that they may have been in a particular film it is very rewarding to see footage of them as they appeared in costume even as an extra (just my personal experience).
Mark Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com
Joseph Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com

tthacker

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 2:12 pm

I did watch Teddy at the Throttle in hopes of seeing her. There was a couple of scenes which she could have been in, but I couldn't pick anyone out that might have been her. Her last husband didn't allow her to perform on the stage, but she did do some radio in the 30s. Unfortunately, I have no details on that part of her career.

Return to Talking About Silents