PALAIS DE DANSE (1928) UK film

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

drednm

PALAIS DE DANSE (1928) UK film

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 7:02 am

German poster for the British film PALAIS DE DANSE (1928), a late silent starring Mabel Poulton as a taxi dancer. John Longden and Chili Bouchier co-star. The dancers are known by their numbers in the film. Poulton is #16 (as seen on her button).

I wonder of this film still exists?

Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Lorusso/e/ ... 203&sr=8-1

Brooksie

Re: PALAIS DE DANSE (1928) UK film

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 3:21 pm

I thought I'd already asked Nitrateville the same question in the past, but I can't find any evidence of it. The BFI have a viewing copy but I'm not aware of anyone who has seen it. I seem to recall one review mentioning a spectacular sequence where a partygoer crashes through the glass ceiling of a dance hall. Yikes!

It sounds like an interesting production. John Longden not only starred but wrote the script with his then-wife, Jean Jay, who had risen to fame as a runner up in the talent search competition judged by Norma Talmadge that was won by Margaret Leahy, Buster Keaton's leading lady in Three Ages (1920). Under her real name of Charlotte Francis, she co-starred with Longden in the Australian film The Silence of Dean Maitland (1934), though ironically their marriage had long since broken down. She later became a well known playwright whose work formed the basis for Mae West's Sextette (1978).

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostMon Oct 09, 2017 12:40 pm

There is a review on IMDb...
Last edited by earlytalkiebuffRob on Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brooksie

PostMon Oct 09, 2017 9:59 pm

Digging a little deeper, I see it played the British Silent Film Festival as recently as 2009, so it must be in decent shape and viewable - http://www.nitrateville.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3258.

Kevin Brownlow's biography of David Lean notes that a young Lean worked on the dance hall ceiling sequence that I mentioned earlier. Brownlow describes the film itself as 'a fast-paced thriller in the American style'. It sounds promising. Odd that it's not better known.

moviepas

PostWed Oct 11, 2017 4:01 am

The Palais de Danse managed to get Director Maurice Elvey's surname slightly wrong. Said to the most prolific British film director.

johnsweeney

PostThu Oct 12, 2017 2:01 am

It does indeed exist in a viewable copy and is a very good film. Anyone who's seen Elvey's great film Hindle Wakes will know what he is capable of, and Palais de Danse is not far off that film in quality.

Return to Talking About Silents