Cool Video Game Based on Silent Cartoons

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Aaron1927

Cool Video Game Based on Silent Cartoons

PostMon Oct 09, 2017 5:57 pm

This video game is pretty incredible and very well animated. It's called Cuphead. I truly hope this game succeeds. Wonderful to see a cartoon game set in the 1920's/1930's!

Enjoy! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMkCIdGikmk

Last edited by silentfilm on Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Embedd YouTube link

SilentsPlease

Re: Cool Video Game Based on Silent Cartoons

PostWed Oct 11, 2017 7:45 am

It was promoted prominently by Conan O'Brien and Kate Upton a few months ago. Another game with a silent film "vibe" is the 2010 indie game "Limbo," which has no dialog, in black and white, with all animation done in silhouettes. It reminded of early silhouette animation like "The Adventures of Prince Achmed."

Zool

PostSat Oct 14, 2017 11:03 pm

Oh wow! Cool. I'll have to get this. Just read it has now sold 1 million copies. Wonder how anyone under 30 will fare with this Run and Gun/Shmup creation.

cool cool cool!
:mrgreen:
"If I was your wife I'd poison your tea!"
"If I was your husband I'd drink it."

George O'Brien.net

Zool

PostThu Oct 26, 2017 2:04 am

Gave it a go. The actual game play.... whew. Hard as hell. It isn't the challenge that saves it for me, and makes it fun. It's the artwork, the voice overs, the slang, the music and animation. And the sound effects!!! And the "sometimes yellow gloves" thing that is actually an intentional goof. It's all so cute! You truly feel like you're watching a cartoon of the era.

Great game!
:mrgreen:

George O'Brien.net

Daveismyhero

PostThu Oct 26, 2017 9:40 am

I'm hoping this will make the trek to the Switch, so I can buy it for my son and then I can play it. :D
I am not a purist, I am a funist!

Zool

PostSat Jan 06, 2018 9:40 pm

For anyone interested, here is a short video on Cuphead's character references. After watching this and a few other videos, it's clear that the game isn't just influenced by 20's/30's animation; so much of its content borrowed from specific cartoons and characters of the period.

Daveismyhero wrote:I'm hoping this will make the trek to the Switch, so I can buy it for my son and then I can play it. :D

Cuphead on the go? That would be cool.

George O'Brien.net

fwtep

PostSun Jan 07, 2018 11:02 am

There are apparently no plans for the Switch, but if you don't have an Xbox you can get it for Windows 10. (They've said they plan to do a Mac port, but who knows when that'll appear.) And it's only $20 though sometimes it gets discounted to $16 or $17.

s.w.a.c.

PostFri Jan 12, 2018 12:33 pm

We have one laptop with Windows 10 (7 on everything else, except Vista on one not-online standalone model due to some obsolete hardware I still use on a regular basis), can't wait to try this.

Haven't played a video game in years, I think the delightful upgraded Grim Fandango (think film noir meets Mexican Day of the Dead) is the last one I spent any time with.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

maliejandra

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 6:53 am

I downloaded it last night, and you're not kidding about how hard it is! I was playing the scenarios on easy mode and still kept dying. I got frustrated and gave up. I'm not sure how any of these little mini games are supposed to contribute to the overall story but the graphics and sound effects feel authentically 30s and that's a lot of fun.

s.w.a.c.

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 10:01 am

I did a compatibility test, and apparently my Windows 10 laptop won't run it (graphics card not powerful enough) but my Windows 7 desktop computer should...worth a shot, I guess.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Rob Koeling

PostSun Jan 21, 2018 4:42 pm

Another cool game with its roots in early cartoons is Bendy and the Inkmachine. https://www.bendyandtheinkmachine.com/

Zool

PostWed Jan 24, 2018 10:20 pm

maliejandra wrote:I downloaded it last night, and you're not kidding about how hard it is! I was playing the scenarios on easy mode and still kept dying. I got frustrated and gave up. I'm not sure how any of these little mini games are supposed to contribute to the overall story but the graphics and sound effects feel authentically 30s and that's a lot of fun.

Well, Cuphead has to defeat "bosses," who have run away from the Devil with their souls. As for the "Run 'N Gun" stages, I think the creators wanted a good "run 'n gun" out there, since the only games in that genre that come to mind are Gunstar Heroes and Contra.

I have died well over 500 times and I'm probably 75% done. I've played video games for a lifetime now, but I've never been a "hardcore gamer" as they're called. That said, I'm good, but Cuphead get's the best of me every time. It's just refreshing to see a game like this in an industry oversaturated with 3D, first person perspective, graphic heavy, "realistic" games.

George O'Brien.net

Return to Talking About Silents