The Tango Cavalier (1923)

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

drednm

The Tango Cavalier (1923)

PostTue Oct 10, 2017 9:44 am

Here's an interesting George Larkin film on YT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqPYqcC70vA&t=601s" target="_blank

Jorge's marvelous vintage tango music couldn't be more perfect!
Last edited by drednm on Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Lorusso/e/ ... 203&sr=8-1

earlytalkiebuffRob

Re: Tango Cavalier (1923)

PostTue Oct 10, 2017 1:20 pm

drednm wrote:Here's an interesting George Larkin film on YT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqPYqcC70vA&t=601s" target="_blank

Jorge's marvelous vintage tango music couldn't be more perfect!

Yes, yet another to add to the pile...

radiotelefonia

Re: Tango Cavalier (1923)

PostTue Oct 10, 2017 1:46 pm

Yes, I was going to post the movie myself.

The reason I used this music, all recordings by the Francisco Canaro orchestra from 1926 to 1931, was to enhance how silly and ridiculous everything is in this movie. The strange combination of Mexican, Spanish, and Argentinean stereotypes probably felt silly at the time as it does today in both Spain and all of Latin America.

The difficulty in the compilation was to try to avoid well known melodies, but since I didn't have enough of them because I usually rescue what I like to listen, and Canaro has hundreds and hundreds of recordings, I limited those to the last part of the film and at the end. My original intention was to use only electrical recordings, but I used a few acoustic ones as well even though they sound different (and better than the first series of electric discs too).

The tango coreography is so laughable when you contrast it with the a natural and improvisational thing, as in this example:

The tango in this video, as well as the one that ends the movie is called "Canaro en París". Not written by Canaro and, with lyrics that are completely unrelated to the title, it is an important melody that basically set up the typical structure of an instrumental tango, although not all of them follows it. In the first recording, the orchestration didn't know how to use the bandoneon variation, which was resolved in the second recording made a few months later. However, although Canaro recorded it several times, his best version is the third recording that is also the least known today because it was always dismissed in favor of later recordings.

drednm

Re: The Tango Cavalier (1923)

PostTue Oct 10, 2017 1:55 pm

It's a cluck of a movie, but has a few good moments. I was not familiar with any of the actors in this one.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

Donald Binks

PostTue Oct 10, 2017 2:30 pm

I think I have adored tango music since I was about 12. I can remember my first LP of them was the Orchestra de Granados with "Valentino Tangos" - I still have it and still play it! Then of course I have attempted my hand - or should I say - my feet - at the Argentine tango without of course much success, but all the time thinking that I was the spitting image of Rudolph Valentino. (I suppose we are all deluded in some way). I did though learn enough steps by forcing my partner at the time to undergo torturous practice with me. This culminated in "our turn" at "a do", where we both took to the dance floor and to the strains of "Jalousie" managed to pull off the feat of doing some justice to the dance - to the amazement of the onlookers who had barely mastered jigging around to disco music.

Back in the 1980's when Carl Davis was out here conducting a huge orchestra for a silent film season, there were some dancers on stage prior to the screening of "The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse" in a prologue demonstrating the finer points of dancing the tango. It went down well with the audience and was a fine way to set off the picture.

So, thanks Radiotelephone for "doing" the picture - and for the perfect choice in gramophone records with which to accompany it.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I was in love with a beautiful blonde one time. She led me to drink. It's the only thing I'm thankful to her for."

drednm

PostWed Oct 11, 2017 6:29 am

And here's the sad ending of Dorris Dare, who plays Doris in the film:

She made six films between 1919 and 1925.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostFri Oct 13, 2017 2:02 pm

drednm wrote:And here's the sad ending of Dorris Dare, who plays Doris in the film:

Miss Dare died in 1927, according to IMDb.

drednm

PostFri Oct 13, 2017 2:17 pm

earlytalkiebuffRob wrote:
drednm wrote:And here's the sad ending of Dorris Dare, who plays Doris in the film:

Miss Dare died in 1927, according to IMDb.

Yup. This clip was from the August 24, 1927 edition of Variety.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

Return to Talking About Silents