OCTOBER (Ten Days That shook the World)

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Harlett O'Dowd

OCTOBER (Ten Days That shook the World)

PostFri Oct 20, 2017 1:19 pm

What (if any) is the most complete/best looking disc of this title? FWIW, the font of all knowledge and wisdom (imdb) cites a 2007 restoration that clocks in at 142 minutes.

I would have thought that this month being the centennial (technically, next month) of the titular revolution, there would be a lot more discussion/screenings of this title.

Arndt

Re: OCTOBER (Ten Days That shook the World)

PostFri Oct 20, 2017 3:28 pm

MELIOR

Bob Furem

PostSun Oct 22, 2017 1:01 am

Does this have English subtitles?

Big Silent Fan

PostSun Oct 22, 2017 6:57 am

I recorded the older, unrestored version off TCM to DVD years ago and that one certainly had only English titles. I remember it being more than two hours long which is typical for most Eisenstein's features. This was actually a 'sound' version remake made afterwards by Eisentein's associate, Grigory Alexandrov. It contains sound effects and music by Dmitri Shostokovich. The copyright date is 1990. It's intended to resemble a documentary of the events during 1917.
I'm still woefully ignorant of the Russian History but it's quite something to revisit again since a small part is historical film of Lenin's time that the story builds upon. I enjoyed it enough to save it to my collection.

This older version just 102 minutes but seemed much much longer do to the subject. A tough film to watch, even if it was shorter. I couldn't help but think of our own political crisis this year; not as violent perhaps, but the same sort of disunity.

Arndt

PostSun Oct 22, 2017 3:44 pm

Bob Furem wrote:Does this have English subtitles?

Yes.
MELIOR

SilentsPlease

PostFri Oct 27, 2017 5:36 pm

I remember an "Amazing Race" episode where the contestants had to go to a Russian film studio and search through a mountain of film reels scattered on the floor to look for a particular classic film, which happened to be Eisenstein's "October." Here is a clip (start at 10:00). For those unaware, "Amazing Race" is a long-running American reality competition TV show where contestants travel the world and complete challenges in the shortest time possible. Their tasks are often related to the history and culture of the places they visit. This show has visited Russia many times. Naturally I was totally geeked out when I saw that classic film challenge.

brianwyn

PostSat Oct 28, 2017 2:03 pm

Arte have got Battleship Potemkin lined up for Nov 8th, Goluboy ekspress (1929), which sounds fascinating according to this review, on the 15th, and Arsenal on the 22nd. October may follow when they publish their later schedules. Subtitles will of course be in German or French only, probably laid over the original Russian. At least it looks like they're showing some silents again. Maybe October will be there when they publish their later schedules.

Return to Talking About Silents