Keaton Radio Appearances- 3 Old Questions + 1 New One

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

JFK

Keaton Radio Appearances- 3 Old Questions + 1 New One

PostTue Oct 24, 2017 3:00 pm

This copyrighted website lists two existing Keaton radio appearances I've never heard.
Has anyone?
The Fleischmann's Yeast Hour. September 14, 1933
Shell Chateau. April 4, 1936

Also mentioned, an audio recording of a 70th Birthday TV Tribute to Paul Whiteman.
(Keaton, of course, had performed previously with Whiteman in a 1958 Vegas review).
I own the record album but have never seen the video, if one survives.
Does it exist?

I also remember having heard a Myra radio guest spot broadcast on a Chicago FM radio nostalgia program-
but I can't recall the name of the show on which she appeared.
Any info?
Last edited by JFK on Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

bobfells

Re: Keaton Radio Appearances- 3 Questions

PostTue Oct 24, 2017 5:51 pm

The networks did not begin recording their broadcasts until the late 1930s. Before that, recording shows was up to individuals who made arrangements with commercial recording companies at their own expense. Jack Benny, Eddie Cantor, Cecil B. De Mille, Bing Crosby and others preserved their shows in this way. Rudy Vallee arranged to record his Fleischmann Yeast Shows but not all have survived. Floods, fires or just plain breakage through the years was the problem. On the up side, much of this material is accessible for free on the Internet but it's hit or miss.

I checked the Fleischmann shows for 1933 and almost all are available except for a gap in September 1933. Same thing with the Shell Show. New material still turns up but at present those two Keaton shows you are seeking are not available.

JFK

Keaton Radio Appearances- 3 Questions

PostTue Oct 24, 2017 8:06 pm

bobfells wrote:I checked the Fleischmann shows for 1933 and almost all are available except for a gap in September 1933.

What gives me slight hope that these 2 Buster Keaton episodes survive is that the compiler of the info cited above-
J David Goldin - provides details on the running time and completeness of each show, lengthy-ish cast listings, and audio quality ratings for both recordings. The specific episodes Goldin lists on his website I have usually been able to find online.

http://www.radiogoldindex.com/cgi-local/p2.cgi?ProgramName=Shell+Chateau and
http://www.radiogoldindex.com/cgi-local/p2.cgi?ProgramName=The+Fleischmann%27s+Yeast+Hour

bobfells

PostTue Oct 24, 2017 9:11 pm

I've used the Goldin index and its data is very helpful but it's frustrating when he indicates an existing broadcast - he collected many of them himself - but it's not in circulation. I found a source for the Fleischmann and Shell shows at otrsite.com. The owner lists logs and indicates if he has them. You can order them on cassette or CD. I did business with him about 20 years ago so I hope he's still around. As you know websites can take on a life of their own!

JFK

Keaton Radio Appearances- Late Breaking News

PostTue Oct 24, 2017 9:27 pm

Great news on one of the Keaton programs - and, mirabile dictu, how to hear it - can be gleaned at this site!
Last edited by JFK on Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wich2

PostTue Oct 24, 2017 9:34 pm

bobfells wrote: I found a source for the Fleischmann and Shell shows at otrsite.com. The owner lists logs and indicates if he has them. You can order them on cassette or CD. I did business with him about 20 years ago so I hope he's still around.

Jerry Haendiges is most EMPHATICALLY still with us!

And the quality of his stuff is excellent, and he's one of the good guys.

-Craig

P.S. - I've got the Shell; that Youtube copy is trimmed a bit at the head and tail.

JFK

Keaton Radio Appearances- Answers

PostTue Oct 24, 2017 9:39 pm

bobfells wrote:I found a source for the Fleischmann and Shell shows at otrsite.com. The owner lists logs and indicates if he has them. You can order them on cassette or CD....

Thanks so much! I’ll try the site and report back if good news I find.

bobfells

Re: Keaton Radio Appearances- Late Breaking News

PostTue Oct 24, 2017 9:46 pm

JFK wrote:Image
Great news on one of the Keaton programs - and, mirabile dictu, how to hear it - can be gleaned at this site!

Great detective work! I just listened to it and Buster is pretty good. The show was just posted on YT a couple of weeks ago. Good timing!

JFK

Keaton Radio Appearances Update

PostWed Nov 01, 2017 8:14 pm

Great detective work! ......Good timing!

Thanks, but, for my part, I'm afraid I'm 10% detective and 95% defective.
Myra once had a guest bit on a radio tribute to an old showman/showboat operator, a recording of which I remember having heard in my car, in medias res, on a broadcast by Those Were The Days.
Well, I had not looked Myra up on the Radiogoldindex for a number of years, so yesterday, on a whim, I decided to take a fresh gander. And that's when/where I found Goldin's updated radio-ography for Buster Keaton, which listed the two 1930s Buster episodes I'd never heard.
Later in the evening, after having started this thread, I made my daily pilgrimage to the SCM site, where a link had been helpfully provided to the Chateau Keaton appearance!

And now, mo' better news-
segments from the Vallee Keaton radio program have been unearthed here!
Film Daily 9/11/1933

Last edited by JFK on Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

wich2

PostThu Nov 02, 2017 9:06 am

Fun to hear that clip; sorry the whole show was not offered (if the collector holds it...)

It did seem, from both Rudy's and Buster's voices, that it might be running just a hair slow, though. That can happen, with just a little even-within-tolerances difference in running speed between cutting and playback turntables.

-Craig
Last edited by wich2 on Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobfells

PostThu Nov 02, 2017 10:32 am

wich2 wrote:Fun to hear that clip; sorry the whole show was not offered (if the collector holds it...)

It did seem, from both Rudy's and Buster's voices, that in might be running just a hair slow, though. That can happen, with just a little even-within-tolerances difference in running speed between cutting and playback turntables.

-Craig

I've noticed a lot of speed variances on old time radio recordings. There are a ton of Rudy Vallee shows plus his many film appearances so we have a good idea of his voice at the correct speed. These days it's easy to correct speed and pitch with software but, alas, I can't figure out how to download the Vallee show from Soundstream though.

oldposterho

PostThu Nov 02, 2017 1:53 pm

If you use the "Flash Video Downloader" add-on with Firefox you can grab it with one click. It's a 5mb file.

bobfells

PostThu Nov 02, 2017 3:19 pm

oldposterho wrote:If you use the "Flash Video Downloader" add-on with Firefox you can grab it with one click. It's a 5mb file.

I'll try that. Thank you!

wich2

PostThu Nov 02, 2017 6:32 pm

Or if you have a program like Audacity, just record it. (I know that sounds old-school, but the piece is short.)

And you're right, Bob: pitch variance can be an annoying problem with some Classic Era Radio, but nowadays it's an easy fix that the material merits.

We're in a good period with these shows!

Witness the great new restored Welles material at the Lilly site, as well as entities like Radio Archives. Folks who realize that leaving versions of this stuff cut, or leaving them a mess, is as much a disservice to Vintage Radio as it is to Vintage Film.

And courtesy of the aforementioned generous Jerry Haendiges, here's the slightly fuller version of the SHELL show:

http://www.vintageradioclassics.com/broadcast/arcradioclassics1009.html

(As you can see, he not only sells the programs, but regularly hosts compilations of rare ones for free.)

-Craig

Ed Watz

PostThu Nov 09, 2017 9:04 am

I've had CDs of Buster's 1933 and 1936 radio shows for some years, they were both available for purchase online at least since 2007. These episodes (and their backstory) are discussed in my forthcoming book on Buster, which should be out next year from BearManor Media.

Now, here's my question: Maybe someone out there has Buster's radio appearance on the CBS program, "Sing It Again," broadcast December 10, 1949? I still need to hear that one!

Thanks in advance,
Ed

wich2

Re: Keaton Radio Appearances- 3 Old Questions + 1 New One

PostThu Nov 09, 2017 7:18 pm

Ed, Dave Goldin doesn't have that ep. on his list; neither does Jerry Haendiges. Doesn't mean for sure it's not out there, of course.

-Craig

Return to Talking About Silents