Film Locations - Castles used in Silent Films

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Aaron1927

Film Locations - Castles used in Silent Films

PostMon Oct 30, 2017 5:26 pm

Were any silent films ever shot at real life castles? I went to the former Royal castle of Corfe in England and thought about Douglas Fairbanks in Robin Hood. I realized afterwards it was filmed at Hollywood Studios. Was it cheaper to build sets rather than film on location? Were any directors fussy about realism and had scouts photograph castles in Europe in order to recreate them in Hollywood?

Tribute I made to Corfe castle. Watch out for any ghosts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_44rDA8PXbY

Last edited by silentfilm on Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Embedd YouTube link

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

Re: Film Locations - Castles used in Silent Films

PostMon Oct 30, 2017 5:59 pm

Well, it was certainly cheaper to build the lower part of a castle and then paint the rest on glass.

I expect there are more than a few examples in European silents, and I believe, for instance, that parts of Dorothy Gish's Madame Pompadour were, though Wikipedia just says it was shot at Elstree Studios (the first thing shot there, in fact).
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Rodney

PostMon Oct 30, 2017 9:04 pm

Naturally, it made more sense for Europeans to film in castles than Americans. I know that the Nosferatu castle can be found it pretty easily, give it a Google. I am surprised sometimes by the elaborate castles in relatively low budget American films. Like The Star Prince, Long Fliv the King, or The Little Minister.
Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"

greta de groat

PostMon Oct 30, 2017 10:08 pm

Check out Ivanhoe with King Baggott. Apparently it was shot in Wales.

greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

R Michael Pyle

PostTue Oct 31, 2017 5:24 am

greta de groat wrote:Check out Ivanhoe with King Baggott. Apparently it was shot in Wales.

greta

As a matter of fact, it was shot at Chepstow Castle in Wales. The castle is still a spectacular spot to visit if one goes to Wales. The castle itself has a great history. I think some of "Robin of Sherwood" in the '80's was also shot there.

Spiny Norman

PostTue Oct 31, 2017 7:31 am

R Michael Pyle wrote:I think some of "Robin of Sherwood" in the '80's was also shot there.
Wasn't that often Alnwick, a castle that you eventually will start to recognize?
Then again, eventually you run out of angles to make it appear a different location, so they probably used more than one castle.

I saw the Castle Aaargh, from the outside.
This is nøt å signåture.™

Gary Newman

PostTue Oct 31, 2017 11:59 am

Paul Bernard’s The Miracle of the Wolves (1924) was shot at Carcassonne, in southern France, which has the best set of medieval walls in Europe.

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostTue Oct 31, 2017 1:18 pm

R Michael Pyle wrote:
greta de groat wrote:Check out Ivanhoe with King Baggott. Apparently it was shot in Wales.

greta

As a matter of fact, it was shot at Chepstow Castle in Wales. The castle is still a spectacular spot to visit if one goes to Wales. The castle itself has a great history. I think some of "Robin of Sherwood" in the '80's was also shot there.

IVANHOE occurred to me, too. I saw it almost forty years ago, so hope it is still extant. The film wasn't all that long, so don't know if it was incomplete...

Just checked - YT has come up trumps again, though the copy has Dutch titles.
Last edited by earlytalkiebuffRob on Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostTue Oct 31, 2017 1:19 pm

Sidney Olcott's YOU REMEMBER ELLEN (1912) may feature a real castle - not too sure there...

Spiny Norman

PostTue Oct 31, 2017 2:03 pm

Gary Newman wrote:Paul Bernard’s The Miracle of the Wolves (1924) was shot at Carcassonne, in southern France, which has the best set of medieval walls in Europe.
Sadly, it's been a horrible, tasteless tourist trap now for decades!
This is nøt å signåture.™

Rodney

PostTue Oct 31, 2017 2:42 pm

Mont Alto once played for La Merveilleuse Vie de Jeanne D'Arc (1929) at the Telluride Film Festival. (This is yet a different French silent film about Joan of Arc). One of its claims to fame is that many of the battle scenes were filmed at the castles where Joan of Arc originally pitched those battles. It's a bit odd, since many of the castles were partially ruined by the time they filmed and were presumably fresher when Joan was there originally; but It does have some impressive castles and sieges.

And, perhaps stretching your definition of "castle," there are several films that were made in defensive cliff houses in the American southwest. Notably, A Modern Musketeer, part of which was filmed in the White House Ruins in the Canyon de Chelly; and Redskin, part of which was filmed at the Acoma Pueblo.

There's a cliff house in The Vanishing American, but since they destroy large parts of it, I sincerely hope it was a constructed set and not a cultural artifact.
Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"

Gary Newman

PostTue Oct 31, 2017 3:49 pm

The outdoor scenes of Count Orlak’s castle in Nosferatu were filmed at Orava Castle in Slovakia.

Lokke Heiss

PostWed Nov 01, 2017 2:29 pm

Gary Newman wrote:The outdoor scenes of Count Orlak’s castle in Nosferatu were filmed at Orava Castle in Slovakia.

Quite true, and it really gives the film an 'authenticity' that no other Dracula films that I know have, except perhaps for the 1970 Spanish Dracula with Lee.
"You can't top pigs with pigs."

Walt Disney, responding to someone who asked him why he didn't immediately do a sequel to The Three Little Pigs

Return to Talking About Silents