ID an actor: Paid to Love (1927)

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Murnau

ID an actor: Paid to Love (1927)

PostSun Nov 05, 2017 10:38 am

Hello,

I'm looking for information of the career of Carl von Haartman. He worked with Fox and Paramount between 1925-1928. I'm quite sure I found him from Howard Hawks' Paid to Love, but only "quite sure" because of the very bad quality of my copy. So I would be very happy if somebody could help me either identify this actor or send me the better screenshots (this scene is where William Powell and his friends are talkin' about George O'Brien and how he fell in love with that Parisian girl).

http://mykkaelokuvat.com/karragee.html

Zool

Re: ID an actor: Paid to Love (1927)

PostSun Nov 05, 2017 12:56 pm

Murnau wrote:Hello,

I'm looking for information of the career of Carl von Haartman. He worked with Fox and Paramount between 1925-1928. I'm quite sure I found him from Howard Hawks' Paid to Love, but only "quite sure" because of the very bad quality of my copy. So I would be very happy if somebody could help me either identify this actor or send me the better screenshots (this scene is where William Powell and his friends are talkin' about George O'Brien and how he fell in love with that Parisian girl).

http://mykkaelokuvat.com/karragee.html

I'm sorry, I have no information about this. Can't help you. :oops: Just wanted to say George O'Brien looked GREAT in that movie. :mrgreen:

I have the same movie. Same copy. Shame it wasn't better preserved. Good luck on your search.
"Are we ourselves, and do we really know?"

George O'Brien.net

Murnau

PostSun Nov 05, 2017 1:30 pm

Thank you. I'm 99% sure it's Carl von Haartman but better picture would make me sure of it... Or maybe someone knows where to ask?

Wm. Charles Morrow

PostSun Nov 05, 2017 1:45 pm

Murnau wrote:Thank you. I'm 99% sure it's Carl von Haartman but better picture would make me sure of it... Or maybe someone knows where to ask?

Tomorrow I can check the files at the NY Public Library for the Performing Arts, and see if there's any info about the cast on hand.

For what it's worth, I saw this film a few years ago at the Museum of the Moving Image in Queens NY, and they showed an excellent print, a restored 35mm print from the Museum of Modern Art. So there's at least some good source material out there, somewhere.
-- Charlie Morrow

Murnau

PostMon Nov 06, 2017 8:29 am

Wm. Charles Morrow wrote:Tomorrow I can check the files at the NY Public Library for the Performing Arts, and see if there's any info about the cast on hand.

For what it's worth, I saw this film a few years ago at the Museum of the Moving Image in Queens NY, and they showed an excellent print, a restored 35mm print from the Museum of Modern Art. So there's at least some good source material out there, somewhere.

I am very, very grateful for your help. This hasn't been shown in TCM or anywhere, right?

Wm. Charles Morrow

PostMon Nov 06, 2017 9:20 am

Murnau wrote:
Wm. Charles Morrow wrote:Tomorrow I can check the files at the NY Public Library for the Performing Arts, and see if there's any info about the cast on hand.

I am very, very grateful for your help. This hasn't been shown in TCM or anywhere, right?

I’ve now examined the library’s files on Paid to Love -- which I’m happy to do! -- and found several contemporary reviews, but the only cast members listed are the top 6 or 7 featured players as found in IMDb and elsewhere. Carl Von Haartman isn’t mentioned. I also checked the files under his name, but found only a very brief article about him from the NY Times of Jan. 14, 1940, which reports that he was severely wounded on the Russian-Finnish front, and lost an eye. The piece, which describes him as a “Hollywood technical expert,” also notes that he fought for Germany in WWI and for Franco in the Spanish Civil War, and that he worked for Howard Hughes as a technical expert on Hell’s Angels, as well as a few other war-related films.

Paid to Love doesn’t appear to have circulated much since it was rediscovered in the 1970s. I’m almost certain it’s never been on TCM. Usually when that happens, several reviews pop up on IMDb, but the only review of this movie on that site is the one I posted after it was shown at the MMI four years ago. It’s an entertaining flick, and I feel it deserves more exposure, even if Hawks himself didn’t like it. (Which hardly matters, at this point.)
-- Charlie Morrow

Rick Lanham

PostMon Nov 06, 2017 10:11 am

I found 21 items on him in the newspapers on genealogybank.com, but none mentioned anything to do with Paid To Love. He was supposedly in the US to make money for a return to Europe. When a cousin died, Carl became a Baron and possibly got some money with the title.

I had previously searched the 1925 casting directory, his name was not in it.

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

Murnau

PostMon Nov 06, 2017 11:34 am

Thank you very much. I have found him from Four Sons and The Woman Disputed. I am also 99% sure he is in Hotel Imperial.

Small roles in Wings, The Wedding March and Hell's Angels are always known here in Finland.

Zool

PostTue Nov 07, 2017 10:10 pm

Murnau wrote:

It has never been shown on TCM. It is a Fox film. I am certain it would cost TCM money to license it for an evening Premiere. Big deal. In the YEARS since they were shown on AMC, TCM has never broadcasted Salute or The Blue Eagle either. Sure they're available on eBay from time to time, and youtube, but... I mean, really!

Well, sorry, don't mean to derail your thread.
"Are we ourselves, and do we really know?"

George O'Brien.net

Return to Talking About Silents