THE ROSCOE ARBUCKLE TOUR

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

BURBANKBOB

THE ROSCOE ARBUCKLE TOUR

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 7:29 am

Hello again
I just posted my Arbuckle Scandal Tour, so I thought I should follow up with a tour of the places where Roscoe called
home. Enjoy.
Bob

THE ROSCOE ARBUCKLE TOUR

1887 - 1888
SMITH CENTER, KANSAS
On March 24, Roscoe Conkling Arbuckle was born at home to William Goodrich and Mary Arbuckle.
He was one of nine children. They lived in a sod house. He was named after a well known politician of the time, Roscoe Conkling.
"Two big things blew Smith Center, Kansas off the map", Roscoe later said. "My birth and a cyclone. No one heard of the place since".
In 1888 the Arbuckle family packed up and moved to Santa Ana, California.

826 - 828 NORTH BIRCH STREET - SANTA ANA, CA.
The Arbuckle's settled into this small house and turned it into a small hotel. This was his boyhood home.

SEPTEMBER
Frank Bacon brought his stock company to Santa Ana, but before they could put on their show, Bacon had to replace a young black actor. 
When he met young Roscoe he felt the lad could handle the job and covered his face in black make - up. Thus began the career of Roscoe "Fatty" Arbuckle.

THE BYDE - A - WHILE THEATER ; THE VIRGINIA HOTEL - LONG BEACH
Twenty - one year old Roscoe was the star of the Elwood Stock Company. Among the players was eighteen year old actress, Minta Durfee. They met and fell in love.

AUGUST 6
Roscoe and Minta were married on the Byde - A - While Theater stage. The reception was held at the Virginia Hotel. Their marriage lasted until they divorced in 1925. She was his first of three wives.

1909 - 1933
LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA

JUNE
Arrived in Los Angeles.

1419 CORONADO STREET
Roscoe and Minta moved into her family home. He signed to make movies for Selig Polyscope Studios, and make five movies for them.
Minta would continue to live here the rest of her life, making it her last home.

831 NORTH BROADWAY

THE CUMBERLAND
112 EAST 57th STREET - NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK
Roscoe and Minta stayed here in a suite of rooms while working at the Norma Talmadge Studios. Later, when they separated, Minta would move here while he
remained in Los Angeles.

1919 - 1921 / 1923
649 WEST ADAMS BOULEVARD - SILVERLAKE
Roscoe and Minta bought this mansion from film vamp, Theda Bara. They were living here during his rape / murder scandal. In 1921 / 1923, during that trial, he was unable to afford living here and moved out. The next to move in was director Raoul Walsh.

1621 OCEAN AVENUE - LONG BEACH
Roscoe bought a mansion that had a private tunnel that led to the beach. At the time he was working at Comique Film Studios.

1921 / 1923 - 1925
3424 WEST ADAMS BOULEVARD - SILVERLAKE
(Built 1909)
Roscoe and Minta moved into this house, which was near their old home. The separated in 1922 and divorced in 1925.

THE CUMBERLAND
112 EAST 57th STREET - NEW YORK CITY
After leaving Roscoe, Minta moved here.

JANUARY 22
Roscoe and Minta were divorced.

FEBRUARY 9
TIME MAGAZINE
Reported Engaged. Roscoe ("Fatty") Arbuckle, deposed cinema clown, to Doris Deane, actress (not to be confused with Actress Doris Keane).

MAY 16
Roscoe married wife # 2 - Doris Deane, at the San Marino, Ca. home of her parents. They divorced in August 1928.

MAY 25
TIME MAGAZINE
Married. Roscoe ("Fatty") Arbuckle, deposed cinema clown, to Doris Deane, cinema actress; in Pasadena, Calif.

1925 - 1927 ? 1930
NORTH CANYON DRIVE - BEVERLY HILLS
Roscoe rented this house from producer, Joseph Schenck, where he lived with Doris Deane.

1928 - 1930
THE PLANTATION CLUB - CULVER CITY
His restaurant.

1310 NORTH SWEETZER AVENUE - WEST HOLLYWOOD
Roscoe was living here.

ARBUCKLE’S FORMER WIFE TO REMARRY

Los Angeles, Mar. 22 (AP)
A notice of intention to wed Easter Sunday was filed to-day by Doris Deane Arbuckle, 29, former wife of Roscoe C. (Fatty) Arbuckle, motion picture comedian, and Elmer S. Hartz, 37, Beverly Hills banker.

They will be married Sunday at the Hollywood home of Ernest Westmore, a friend of the couple. 

It will be Miss Deane’s third marriage and Hartz’ second. She divorced Arbuckle two years ago. Miss Deane was accompanied to the marriage license bureau by her friend, Priscilla Dean, motion picture actress.

FATTY ARBUCKLE TO TRY COME-BACK

New York, May 3 (INS)
Roscoe (“Fatty”) Arbuckle, rotund comedian, who formerly thrilled world-wide audiences by his clowning antics for the silent screen, to-day prepared to achieve a comeback. 

Arbuckle, with his fiancée, slender titian-haired Addie McPhail, will open in a vaudeville engagement in New York Friday night. If it is successful, he hopes to appear again in the movies.

JUNE 21 - ERIE, PA. - 2:15
Roscoe married his third and last wife, Addie McPhail, at the home of the local justice of the peace.

1932 - 1933
THE ALTO NIDO APARTMENTS
1851 NORTH IVAR AVENUE - HOLLYWOOD
Roscoe and Addie were living here at the time of his death.

JUNE
ROSCOE AND ADDIE ARRIVE IN NEW YORK

JUNE 29
THE PARK CENTRAL HOTEL
55th STREET AND SEVENTH AVENUE - MANHATTAN, NEW YORK
Roscoe and Addie were staying here in the suite. At 2:30 in the morning he suffered a heart attack  in his sleep and died. He was forty - six years old.

FRANK E. CAMPBELL'S FUNERAL HOME
BROADWAY AND SIXTY - SIXTH STREET - MANHATTAN
The following Friday at one in the afternoon, a funeral service was held here for Roscoe. He was laid out in the Gold Room.
Thousands of fans lined the street to wait their turn to walk past his remains and say goodbye. Seven years earlier, Rudolph Valentino's wake was also
held in this room.

THE ELK'S LODGE
NEW YORK CITY
The next day, Saturday, a funeral service was held here.

FRESH POND CREMATORY - NEW YORK CITY
Roscoe was cremated here and his ashes handed over to Addie. For the next sixty odd years no one knew for sure where he was buried.
In the 1990s, I wrote to Addie McPhail and asked here. She kindly answered my question, telling me that she waited a few years before scattering his ashes
in the ocean off Catalina Island. When I asked why she had never revealed this in this in the past, she said that she chose not to talk about her life with Roscoe 
out of respect to her husband.

oldposterho

Re: THE ROSCOE ARBUCKLE TOUR

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 8:31 am

Pretty cool that Roscoe was living in the Sunset Boulevard apartment building, later the home of screenwriter Joe Gillis. Coincidence?

Red Bartlett

Re: THE ROSCOE ARBUCKLE TOUR

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 10:35 am

We need more Fatty Arbuckle on blu-ray. I love Keaton, Lloyd and Chaplin...and all the imagination and creativity they brought to film and comedy, but Fatty was maybe the funniest of the "funny men" to me.

Return to Talking About Silents