What is a 'cinenapographer'

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

sepiatone

What is a 'cinenapographer'

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 1:56 pm

found this card of introduction on cameraman J. Devereaux "Dev" Jennings during his time with Universal in 1914. Either the word printed on the card, cinenapographer, is a typo for cinematographer or some other form of occupation behind the camera. :?

https://gracekingsley.files.wordpress.c ... =325&h=233" target="_blank

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

Re: What is a 'cinenapographer'

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 2:04 pm

Not sure but he probably had to be edjumacated to be one.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

JFK

The Static Club and its Cinenapographers

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 3:04 pm

The Static Club and some of its fans

ChristineURen

PostTue Nov 21, 2017 8:45 pm

Now I feel really weird.

CoffeeDan

Re: What is a "cinenapographer"?

PostWed Nov 22, 2017 8:19 am

Let's start by breaking the word down into its components. Generally, "cine" clearly refers to film, and the online Merriam-Webster dictionary defines "apograph" as "copy, transcript." So, literally it refers to someone who "copies" the work of others, but is not a full-fledged cinematographer.

Further definition can be found in the opening words of the 1914 Static Club souvenir book posted above*:

We, the Static Club of America, Inc., wish to inform the manufacturers, photoplayers, and the public of the aims and object of the Static Club. The Static Club was organized, primarily for the improvement of technical work as applied to the art of cinenapography. Last winter all the companies were having serious trouble with "Static," and several of the cameramen had a meeting to discuss and eradicate this problem if possible. The Static Club has assumed the status of a large and serious minded body from a rather humble beginning, and is devoted to the improvement of the work of the cameramen, as the discussion of various new effects is commonly the main topic of discussion at the Club. This fact is evidenced in the great apparent improvement in photography in the last nine months . . .

The Static Club is primarily and essentially a social organization, devoted to the betterment of technical work as applied to cinephotography.

Considering that many "cinenapographers" listed in the Static Club's membership went on to become full-fledged cinematographers, it's easy to see that "cinenapography" functions as an adjunct to "cinematography." The cinenapographers identified as such probably worked as assistant cameramen in the studios and on location. On the more technical side, it could include those working behind the scenes in special effects, or as lab technicians in developing and printing film. Maybe film editors could be included, but I doubt it.

The membership is a mix of cinematographers and cinenapographers. The following members are specifically listed elsewhere in the book as cinenapographers:

Walter L. Griffith
J. D. Jennings
Harry Maguire
Edward Ullmann
Al Siegler
Anthony Nagy
Steven Rounds
W. F. Alder
E. J. Vallejo

That's about as far as I can go with what I've got here. Anyone who can go further has my blessing and Godspeed. Meanwhile, I'll keep searching and amending this post as needed . . .

*Special thanks to JFK for posting the link to the Static Club souvenir. I couldn't have gotten this far without it. The original is 104 pages, but it's a real treat to page through!
Last edited by CoffeeDan on Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

missdupont

PostWed Nov 22, 2017 9:27 am

Alvin Wyckoff was already a full-fledged cinematographer at this point, working for both Selig and DeMille.

CoffeeDan

PostWed Nov 22, 2017 10:54 am

missdupont wrote:Alvin Wyckoff was already a full-fledged cinematographer at this point, working for both Selig and DeMille.

Granted. In fact, Wycoff is listed in the book as superintendent of the Albuquerque Film Company. This was just before he started working with Cecil B. DeMille.

Cinematographers made up the majority of the Static Club, and I have amended my previous post to list those members who were specifically cinenapographers. (It's what I get for researching and typing a post in the dead of night -- everything looks different in the daytime!)

Return to Talking About Silents