Is this Maude Eburne in a silent comedy short?

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Harlowgold

Is this Maude Eburne in a silent comedy short?

PostThu Dec 21, 2017 1:10 pm

I mentioned this two months ago another thread (concerning another actress) but alas had no responses to whether or not the character actress at the 12:00 minute mark in this 1920 comedy short A BASHFUL BIGAMIST is the wonderful Maude Eburne, who had a prolific career in 1930's talkies as a character but is known to have only been in two silent films from 1918-19. This 1920 (or 1921) film is in that period and I believe the character actress who appears at the 12:00 mark is Maude, particularly looks a lot like her in 1910's photographs. This woman seems taller than Maude did in her 1930's films but that could be due to appearing opposite a short actor here. Anybody want to take a look to and venture as to whether or not this is our Miss Eburne?
Last edited by silentfilm on Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Embedd YouTube link

drednm

Re: Is this Maude Eburne in a silent comedy short?

PostThu Dec 21, 2017 3:19 pm

Harlowgold wrote:I mentioned this two months ago another thread (concerning another actress) but alas had no responses to whether or not the character actress at the 12:00 minute mark in this 1920 comedy short A BASHFUL BIGAMIST is the wonderful Maude Eburne, who had a prolific career in 1930's talkies as a character but is known to have only been in two silent films from 1918-19. This 1920 (or 1921) film is in that period and I believe the character actress who appears at the 12:00 mark is Maude, particularly looks a lot like her in 1910's photographs. This woman seems taller than Maude did in her 1930's films but that could be due to appearing opposite a short actor here. Anybody want to take a look to and venture as to whether or not this is our Miss Eburne? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vle-2KP5jaQ" target="_blank

seems too tall.....
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com

Steve Massa

PostFri Dec 22, 2017 11:51 am

The lady in question is character comedienne Helen Gilmore who appeared in tons of Hal Roach comedies in the teens and twenties, and also worked with Poke & Jabbs,George Ovey, and others.

R Michael Pyle

PostFri Dec 22, 2017 12:37 pm

There's a picture of Helen Gilmore at this URL that looks so similar to Maude Eburne as to be uncanny! It's no wonder she could be mistaken for her:

http://www.lordheath.com/web_images/hel ... _truth.jpg

Hamilton's Grandson

PostFri Dec 22, 2017 6:20 pm

Mark Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com
Joseph Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com

Harlowgold

PostThu Dec 28, 2017 3:00 pm

Steve Massa wrote:The lady in question is character comedienne Helen Gilmore who appeared in tons of Hal Roach comedies in the teens and twenties, and also worked with Poke & Jabbs,George Ovey, and others.

Thank you Steve!! I submitted Ms. Gilmore's credit for this film on IMDb and was startled to see them add it in ten minutes!! They also posted two new reviews of mine in only twenty minutes or so. This is definitely an improvement for IMDb even if I kind of dislike them somewhat "hiding" reviews now on the film's page.

Return to Talking About Silents