THE GIRL FROM MONTMARTRE

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

radiotelefonia

THE GIRL FROM MONTMARTRE

PostThu Dec 21, 2017 11:20 pm

Gardel performs a tango by Osvaldo Fresedo and José Antonio Saldías, written for Barbara La Marr's final film.

radiotelefonia

Re: THE GIRL FROM MONTMARTRE

PostFri Dec 22, 2017 9:33 am

The composer's version.

smokey15

PostFri Dec 22, 2017 11:16 am

Speaking of this film does anyone know if it still exists? If so, has it ever been shown at any of the film festivals such as Cinefest or Capitolfest?

dalefullerfan2014

PostFri Dec 22, 2017 6:00 pm

I saw it at The Eastman House sometime in the 1990's. If I remember correctly La Marr's name isn't on the credits. I think she died just before the film's release and First National just kind of dumped it. I may be wrong but I believe the man who introduced the film relayed this story.
Randy

Sherri

PostTue Feb 13, 2018 5:20 pm

Smokey,

The assistant curator at Eastman House told me in 2015 that the Warner Archive restored the copy that Eastman House has on file. The curator also told me that the film was (tentatively) slated to be screened at the Cinema Ritrovato in Bologna in 2016. (I'm unsure if the screening ever happened.) The last I heard, the Warner Archive has no plans to release the film for home viewing, but it is anticipated that it will be played at festivals.

It is true that Barbara's name was initially stricken from the billing and all promotional materials when the film was released on January 31, 1926 (the day after Barbara's passing on January 30). Since 1920s film audiences tended to avoid films featuring deceased stars, First National and Associated Holding Corporation (formerly Associated Pictures) opted to promote Lewis Stone, Barbara's costar, instead.
Author of Barbara La Marr: The Girl Who Was Too Beautiful for Hollywood

smokey15

PostWed Feb 14, 2018 12:24 pm

Thanks Sherri for the information. It's too bad that Warner Brothers isn't planning to release it on Blue Ray or DVD after the effort of restoring it. I hope they'll show it at numerous film festivals or even on TCM so I can get a chance to view it.
I bought Barbara's biography and I must say it's excellent. When I received it last month I couldn't put it down.

radiotelefonia

PostWed Feb 14, 2018 4:58 pm

Return to Talking About Silents