10th Annual Watch That Movie Night is January 26!

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

jtc

Re: 10th Annual Watch That Movie Night is January 26!

PostMon Jan 29, 2018 9:26 pm

Despite falling asleep towards the very end (and having to rewind the DVD), I made it through all of Das Boot. I have to say it didn't seem to lag at all, even though the first part of the story deals with the monotony of nothing much
happening. I would have split the discs at the 3-hour mark rather than the 2-hour mark.

I was very impressed by all the sweating and wet-hair-pasted-to-foreheads due to the humid conditions in the submarine.

It occurred to me that rooting for the Germans in this story might be similar to taking Buster Keaton's side in The General. (Spoilers for the next sentence.) From the crew's perspective, they had to deal with a sense that the British were smarter and better equipped along with a growing distrust of the Nazi high command.

The miniatures were very well made and the ship's interior gave a satisfying degree of authenticity, especially in high speed runs from one end of the ship to the other. Most of the process shots were done well except a couple toward the end. And the blasts of sea water -- both at the people standing on the bridge as well as thundering into the ship from above -- were quite powerful.

Ideally, I would have liked to have watched the shorter version first and then compare and contrast with the director's cut immediately (or soon) afterwards.

All-in-all, a welcome opportunity to view one of the titles at the top of the (lurching) stack of unwatched DVDs.

Tim

tguinan

PostMon Jan 29, 2018 10:16 pm

Well, I got the chance to watch one of the films I had planned on. I watched Palm Missed (1921) which was a very strange movie. Gordon and William Dooley who were brothers play in it. One of them (not sure which) is a hobo riding the rails in a boxcar. While sleeping a keg of molasses springs a leak and drips on his face. Meanwhile his companion a goat manages to open a bag of feathers and when the hobo awakens he is covered with feathers. The train pulls into a train yard and he hops out just as a bundle of cash falls out of a plane and lands at his feet. Next we see the other brother working in a kitchen doing dishes, dancing around, goofing off. His wife who is a palm reader finishes with her customer and comes in and orders him back to work. She then goes to change out of her costume. When she returns she twists her ankle and her husband has to dress up as her to see the new customer about to enter. The new customer is the hobo who has used the money he found to buy a new set of clothes. He gets his palm read with some shenanigans then wakes up and it was all a dream and he is still asleep under the keg of molasses.

The other thing I got to watch was the Kickstarter bluray version of Uncle Tom's Cabin which arrived Saturday morning! It has the 1903 and 1914 versions of the film and also an Our Gang spoof. I usually don't care for Our Gang comedies but this one was quite cute.

Agnes

PostMon Jan 29, 2018 10:29 pm

Merry-Go-Round. 1923

It almost feels like VonStroheim had this one taken away from him part-way through.. ...and was able to do the story his way with his ( more synical, less romantic) ending in......The Wedding March 5 years later.

Agnes
Agnes McFadden

I know it's good - I wrote it myself!

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostTue Jan 30, 2018 8:32 am

Okay, time to randomly generate numbers and pick three winners of The Covered Wagon from Kino Classics...

and the winners are...

Tthacker!

Oldposterho!

and... Javier!

Congrats!

I'll contact each of you about getting your prize.

Thanks to a record number of participants for sharing the films you watched this weekend, and thanks to our sponsor, Kino Lorber, for sponsoring Watch That Movie Night for 10 years straight!
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

rudyfan

PostTue Jan 30, 2018 8:35 am

Congrats to the winners! Some great reads, too. Thanks for all the participants!

Big Silent Fan

PostTue Jan 30, 2018 10:37 am

Yes...congrats to the three big winners.

I've enjoyed my older copy of "The Covered Wagon" enough times that I know the story by heart.

Daveismyhero

PostTue Jan 30, 2018 10:58 am

Thank you to everyone who participated and to the winners. Enjoy The Covered Wagon!
I am not a purist, I am a funist!

jtc

PostTue Jan 30, 2018 12:17 pm

So much fun.

And, yes, congratulations to the three lucky winners!

Tim

Rick Lanham

PostTue Jan 30, 2018 1:27 pm

Congrats to the big winners; and everyone who participates is a winner too!

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

Dean Thompson

PostTue Jan 30, 2018 5:21 pm

Congrats to the winners! Five points to the first one who sends us a report on print quality and all those other good things!

(Rick is right, though: everyone who participates is a winner. This fun tradition is something I look forward to every year.)

Donald Binks

PostTue Jan 30, 2018 5:25 pm

I never win nothin' :( so to me it was a foregone conclusion. :D Congrats to all those lucky winners! But, the whole fun of the exercise is in participating.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

Javier

PostTue Jan 30, 2018 9:15 pm

This is a very happy surprise, thank you Mike and Kino-Lorber for making this event possible and a lot of fun. I learn so much about film here on Nitrateville from all the members.
Silent Films are my favourites, and The Covered Wagon is certainly one of them.

Congratulations to the other winners, Tthacker & Oldposterho!

Thank you Nitrateville and to all its members. :D
"it's a Kafka high, you feel like a bug"

Roseha

PostWed Jan 31, 2018 5:29 pm

Congratulations to the winners and thanks to Kino, and to Mike and everyone at Nitrateville for keeping this annual event going! I've always gotten so much out of it, both from seeing a new film each year and reading about everyone else's discoveries as well.
- Rosemary

Zool

PostFri Feb 02, 2018 3:03 am

Jim Roots wrote:This was the third time I've watched Sunrise. Each time, I've come away liking it more than before. (I really wasn't all that impressed the first time!)

The comedy in the middle becomes increasingly tolerable when you know it's coming. This time around, it actually felt properly integrated into the story, instead of being too-obviously forced onto a resentful Murnau. The fancy-pants technical achievements of overlapping images, which was irritating and self-consciously "artistic" the first time, can now be deeply appreciated for the way they merge psychology with vision. Murnau can and did make true Art out of anything: he was an undeniable genius of filmmaking.

This time around, what struck me was that Sunrise is a film noir. The first third is classic noir: the femme fatale using her sexuality to bully the anti-hero into murdering his wife, with everything taking place in a perpetual dark night. The last part is also pure noir: the anti-hero changes his mind and tries desperately to save his wife, but the Fates have already doomed them. Only the happy ending and the comedy in the middle are out of step with noir, and you could even argue they are also noirish elements (there are occasional comedy and happy endings in noir, after all).

I look forward to a fourth viewing, maybe ten years down the line!

Jim

Very interesting take on the movie. It's my absolute favorite.

First time I watched it I couldn't look away. I wanted to see what was going to happen next. After it was over, I was left feeling... moved. I watched it again that same night. And I watched it so many times there after, because I thought it was perfect. An absolutely beautiful movie. Every time I watched it, I noticed something different, and I was moved every time. I read all I could about it, though, I never really cared for all the "technical aspects" of the film. You know, the use of light and shadow, perspective, etc. Blah. :x

It's great you've been able to appreciate it more in subsequent viewings.
"If I was your wife I'd poison your tea!"
"If I was your husband I'd drink it."

George O'Brien.net

Brooksie

PostFri Feb 02, 2018 11:25 am

I had the same reaction to Sunrise - I was absolutely mesmerised. It arrived in my life at the perfect time, when I was forming my tastes in film. At university, you spend an awful lot of time admiring the achievement of films. I was getting back to the business of actually enjoying them. I saw it at the MoMA in New York (I believe Nitrateville's own Ben Model was accompanying it, as a matter of fact) and was knocked out.

Even the ending, which I know is controversial amongst some (and if you haven't seen it 1) Why not and 2) stop reading now), seemed perfect to me. A tragic ending would have been far too obvious. The one we have instead is the 'sunrise' of the title - a new beginning for the couple's marriage.

Jim Roots

PostFri Feb 02, 2018 1:53 pm

Mike Gebert wrote:Okay, time to randomly generate numbers and pick three winners of The Covered Wagon from Kino Classics...

and the winners are...

Tthacker!

Oldposterho!

and... Javier!

Congrats!

I'll contact each of you about getting your prize.

Thanks to a record number of participants for sharing the films you watched this weekend, and thanks to our sponsor, Kino Lorber, for sponsoring Watch That Movie Night for 10 years straight!

Mike! It's the wrong envelope! Those damned idiots at Deloitte screwed up again!

Here's the real envelope. And the winners are...

Jim!

Jim!

And Jim again! Yay!
Previous

Return to Talking About Silents