Harold Lloyd one reelers

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

Metaldams

  • Posts: 32
  • Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:48 pm

Harold Lloyd one reelers

PostFri Jan 19, 2018 8:13 pm

My apologies in advance if there's already a thread on this, but I couldn't find one.

I was thinking how wonderful it would be if a DVD set similar to the Flicker Alley/Lobster collection of Chaplin's Keystone films would be released for Harold Lloyd's one reelers. We have all Chaplin, Keaton, and Langdon silent comedy available to us and feel a comprehensive collection of Lloyd's beginnings would fill a huge hole in our silent comedy collections. I know sadly a lot of films were lost in a fire, but enough seems to exist....just in run down prints. I'd definitely contribute to any restoration project. If one is taking place, I'd love to hear about it.

So does anybody have any favorite Lonesome Luke or early glass character shorts? I haven't seen many in good prints, but think "Ask Father" is brilliant.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... khWDJnWdqx" target="_blank

Click above to see why I'm the loudest silent film fan in the world. \m/
Offline
User avatar

Smari1989

  • Posts: 418
  • Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:14 am
  • Location: Norway

Re: Harold Lloyd one reelers

PostSat Jan 20, 2018 11:47 am

Yes, such a release would indeed be very welcome. While all of Lloyd's 1920s work is by now thankfully available for anyone to see, his crucial development as a performer (and film-maker) from c. 1916-1919 remains sadly obscure by comparison. Hopefully the Lloyd estate, if no one else, will someday find the means to have such a set materialized, but I'm not sure if their magnificent collection (of 2005?) sold as well as they'd hoped (and the market for DVDs is hardly better now than back then).
My WEBCOMIC, Ticklish Town: http://www.ticklishtown.com
Offline
User avatar

Little Caesar

  • Posts: 464
  • Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 8:10 pm

Re: Harold Lloyd one reelers

PostSat Jan 20, 2018 4:06 pm

Smari1989 wrote:Yes, such a release would indeed be very welcome. While all of Lloyd's 1920s work is by now thankfully available for anyone to see, his crucial development as a performer (and film-maker) from c. 1916-1919 remains sadly obscure by comparison. Hopefully the Lloyd estate, if no one else, will someday find the means to have such a set materialized, but I'm not sure if their magnificent collection (of 2005?) sold as well as they'd hoped (and the market for DVDs is hardly better now than back then).


For that matter, Criterion is taking its sweet time in releasing the Lloyd titles. We haven't had a Lloyd release since Speedy in December of 2015. I heard a rumor several months ago that we were supposed to be getting The Kid Brother in April to commemorate the 125th anniversary of Lloyd's birth, but the April titles were announced recently and Harold was excluded again.
Never cry over spilt milk, because it may have been poisoned. - W.C. Fields
Offline

Chris Snowden

  • Posts: 765
  • Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:20 am

Re: Harold Lloyd one reelers

PostMon Jan 22, 2018 2:53 pm

Metaldams wrote:So does anybody have any favorite Lonesome Luke or early glass character shorts?


Lloyd's Rolin shorts have a very high batting average overall. Unluckily, though, the one-reelers that were the most accessible back in the 1960s, '70s and '80s happened to be some of his less-inspired films (All Aboard, Ring Up the Curtain, The Non-Stop Kid, etc.), so I can understand why early historians like Kalton Lahue and Walter Kerr were less than thrilled with Lloyd's early work.

But over the years, more and more of the really good ones have been emerging. There's wonderful stuff in things like Off the Trolley, A Sammy in Siberia, Why Pick on Me? and Pay Your Dues among others.

Presentation really matters. If you watch Billy Blazes, Esq. on YouTube, it'll look like a pretty good little comedy. But when I saw it years ago on the big screen with a huge audience, and Gaylord Carter's live accompaniment on a thundering theater organ, it was hysterical. Lloyd always works best with an audience.

My favorite Lloyd one-reeler? Just Neighbors is probably better overall, but put me down for Spring Fever.
-------------------------------------
Chris Snowden
https://televisiondiary.wordpress.com
Offline

Metaldams

  • Posts: 32
  • Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:48 pm

Re: Harold Lloyd one reelers

PostMon Jan 22, 2018 7:41 pm

Chris Snowden wrote:
Metaldams wrote:So does anybody have any favorite Lonesome Luke or early glass character shorts?


Lloyd's Rolin shorts have a very high batting average overall. Unluckily, though, the one-reelers that were the most accessible back in the 1960s, '70s and '80s happened to be some of his less-inspired films (All Aboard, Ring Up the Curtain, The Non-Stop Kid, etc.), so I can understand why early historians like Kalton Lahue and Walter Kerr were less than thrilled with Lloyd's early work.

But over the years, more and more of the really good ones have been emerging. There's wonderful stuff in things like Off the Trolley, A Sammy in Siberia, Why Pick on Me? and Pay Your Dues among others.

Presentation really matters. If you watch Billy Blazes, Esq. on YouTube, it'll look like a pretty good little comedy. But when I saw it years ago on the big screen with a huge audience, and Gaylord Carter's live accompaniment on a thundering theater organ, it was hysterical. Lloyd always works best with an audience.

My favorite Lloyd one-reeler? Just Neighbors is probably better overall, but put me down for Spring Fever.


I've seen the majority of the ones you mentioned....PAY YOUR DUES particularly stands out for me. Just love the whole concept of initiation into that bizarre mini illuminati group.

I actually have some Grapevine video Harold Lloyd volumes with early one reelers on them....VHS, of course! Need to dig them out.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... khWDJnWdqx" target="_blank

Click above to see why I'm the loudest silent film fan in the world. \m/

Return to Talking About Silents

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

cron