Prints & completeness of "Love Never Dies"

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Histogram

Prints & completeness of "Love Never Dies"

PostTue Jan 23, 2018 7:53 pm

Niles Film Museum is screening of movie I have not seen, "Love Never Dies", on Saturday Jan. 27, 2018. Reading reviews of the Alpha Video DVD of this, it seems reviewers believe it was choppy and/or incomplete.

So I wonder if anyone knows whether there are prints that are more complete than were made into the Alpha Video release. Partly I am wondering whether the film museum will get its hands on a print that is better, or if all existning prints are from the same source material as used on the DVD.

Agnes

Re: Prints & completeness of "Love Never Dies"

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 7:48 am

TCM ran this film - once & only once as far as I know
I got TCM in 2000, right around when my youngest was born. This film ran when she was very little, so I think they ran it maybe in the summer of 2002 or 2003. We we're on vacation when it aired, & this was the one item I set my VCR(remember them?) for while we were away. The VCR broke & the recording did not work.

I assumed TCM would run it again, so I was looking out for the title. It has never shown again. After several years of looking in vain for it's return, I mentioned this to a dear friend & Nitratevillian who happened to have successfully caught the single showing & gave me the opportunity to finally see it. I love King Vidor's direction, so I was eager to see it.

The sole (so far) TCM broadcast of the title showed a wonderful film in a "chopy copy". A main character is recovering from a train accident, then we see the accident after.TCM hasn't shown it since, & I haven't noticed it showing up anywhere else. I do hope the copy you see has the scenes in the proper order. It is a well done film(if course -it's Vidor), just a bit disconcerting if the scenes are out of logical order.

Agnes
Agnes McFadden

I know it's good - I wrote it myself!

Brooksie

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 12:28 pm

If you do go, make yourself known to Lloyd Hughes' daughter, who will be in attendance. A very nice lady.

Agnes

PostTue Jan 30, 2018 7:25 am

So Histogram,
Did you go to see "Love Never Dies"?

How was it? Did it seem like some of the scenes were out of order, or did it look like (hopefully!) that had been fixed?

Agnes
Agnes McFadden

I know it's good - I wrote it myself!

Big Silent Fan

PostTue Jan 30, 2018 11:07 am

I found the 1921 film on YouTube running about 63 minutes. Nice print so I'll be watching shortly.

dalefullerfan2014

PostTue Jan 30, 2018 9:16 pm

I saw this Sat. in Niles and the 16mm print shown was the cut down tinted 60 min. Kodascope version. The print was in order and it all seemed to be there except for the final 20 minutes. The Em gee Film Library in Van Nuys has the complete version.
Randy

Spiny Norman

PostWed Jan 31, 2018 9:02 am

So I guess this thread is not about the abysmal Phantom of the Opera sequel?
This is nøt å signåture.™

Big Silent Fan

PostWed Jan 31, 2018 10:05 am

dalefullerfan2014 wrote:I saw this Sat. in Niles and the 16mm print shown was the cut down tinted 60 min. Kodascope version. The print was in order and it all seemed to be there except for the final 20 minutes. The Em gee Film Library in Van Nuys has the complete version.
Randy

I watched it this morning on YouTube and it ran the 60 minutes just as IMDB lists the run time. If there is more film, it certainly could improve on the abrupt ending (which would explain the missing 20 minutes). We're left to imagine what happens when the film ends, but there were no gaps in the story.

This is a prime example of what's meant by Silent "Melodrama," with a couple of exciting episodes mixed in to really change the mood of the film. I could imagine this being shown in parts, with the action being a cliffhanger until you returned to see the next part of the film. They really had impressive miniatures back then.

The kid sister, with her dirty dress, freckles and headless doll seemed to be the focus in the beginning...more of that melodrama stuff.

dalefullerfan2014

PostWed Jan 31, 2018 1:07 pm

The complete 80 min. version is reviewed in Variety.
Randy

Return to Talking About Silents