ON THE BANKS OF ALLAN WATER (1916)

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

drednm

ON THE BANKS OF ALLAN WATER (1916)

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 9:52 am

IMDb lists an actress named Violet Graham as playing Elsie, but the film identifies Elsie as played by Violet Leicester.

Is this the same person? Or is the IMDB listing wrong? The film is on YT.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com

R Michael Pyle

Re: ON THE BANKS OF ALLAN WATER (1916)

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 10:32 am

Very interesting... Note the last name: Graham, Graeme... If the IMDb is so perfect - that is, that they list "listed as" in most of the credits where the credit differs from their own listing name, they seemed to have missed this one, didn't they?

drednm

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 10:53 am

R Michael Pyle wrote:Very interesting... Note the last name: Graham, Graeme... If the IMDb is so perfect - that is, that they list "listed as" in most of the credits where the credit differs from their own listing name, they seemed to have missed this one, didn't they?

Violet Graham has several credits, so I assume she is real, though I am unfamiliar with her. IMDb also lists a Violet Leicester but with zero information. It's possible that Violet used a different surname at one point (like a married name) but that seems unlikely in that era.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

Brooksie

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 12:27 pm

There is a Violet Leicester listed in histories of the British theatre. It could be that she eventually changed her name for the movies or was married, and the new name was retroactively applied to movies in which she had appeared under her previous name.

There are several cases on IMDb where one actress who changed her name is listed separately under each name. Jean Jay is another. After appearing in several films under that name she reverted to her real name of Charlotte Francis. As far as IMDb is aware, they are two different people.

Hamilton's Grandson

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 1:29 pm

newspapers.com has an announcement for a play called The Silver Crucifix (27 Feb 1916 The Observer (London)).

Ernest Leicester (1866-1939) plays Raymond Du Barry and Violet Leicester plays Mitzi. Perhaps a sibling of hers or spouse?

Both of these names had some other stage experiences in other searches on the same website at @ same time period.
Mark Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com
Joseph Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com
Gertrude Brooke Hamilton is on imdb.com

MaryGH

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 7:34 pm

From what I could find, Violet Graham and Violet Leicester are two different stage actresses. Graham is listed in The London Stage 1920-1929: A Calendar of Productions, Performers, and Personnel as having a decent-sized stage career, enough to merit an appearance on a cigarette card (Scissors Cigarettes, W.D. & H.O. Wills, Bristol and London)

Violet Leicester is the pretty blond in "On the Banks of Allan Water", pictures courtesy of the British Newspaper Archive:

Violet Leicester from "On the Banks of Allan Water" from the Youtube video:

Violet Leicester, from The Sketch, Dec. 6, 1916

The play "Houp La!"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houp_La!

Cinema ad for "On the Banks of Allan Water", The Preston Herald, June 9, 1917

So it sounds like the IMDB record is inaccurate.
Petition: Turner Enter./Warner Bros: Please digitalize Tom Tyler's FBO silent film westerns

http://bit.ly/2ueCvHe
---
Aventuras de Tom Tyler

http://triggertomblog.blogspot.com/

drednm

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 8:00 pm

MaryGH wrote:From what I could find, Violet Graham and Violet Leicester are two different stage actresses. Graham is listed in The London Stage 1920-1929: A Calendar of Productions, Performers, and Personnel as having a decent-sized stage career, enough to merit an appearance on a cigarette card (Scissors Cigarettes, W.D. & H.O. Wills, Bristol and London)

Violet Leicester is the pretty blond in "On the Banks of Allan Water", pictures courtesy of the British Newspaper Archive:

Violet Leicester from "On the Banks of Allan Water" from the Youtube video:

Violet Leicester, from The Sketch, Dec. 6, 1916

The play "Houp La!"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houp_La!

Cinema ad for "On the Banks of Allan Water", The Preston Herald, June 9, 1917

So it sounds like the IMDB record is inaccurate.

Good finds! But they look alike to me. Must have been the fashion of time. Alma Taylor has the same shaped face....
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

MaryGH

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 8:24 pm

drednm wrote:
Good finds! But they look alike to me. Must have been the fashion of time. Alma Taylor has the same shaped face....

I tried looking for another picture of Violet Graham to compare but not much luck - maybe someone else might be able to find one...
Petition: Turner Enter./Warner Bros: Please digitalize Tom Tyler's FBO silent film westerns

http://bit.ly/2ueCvHe
---
Aventuras de Tom Tyler

http://triggertomblog.blogspot.com/

Brooksie

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 9:12 pm

Ms Graham and Ms Leicester look exactly the same to me. Same jawline, same eyes, same mouth.

silentmovies742

PostFri Feb 02, 2018 10:04 am

R Michael Pyle wrote:Very interesting... Note the last name: Graham, Graeme... If the IMDb is so perfect - that is, that they list "listed as" in most of the credits where the credit differs from their own listing name, they seemed to have missed this one, didn't they?

I'm not quite sure why the sarcastic remark is aimed at a site that is more comprehensive than any book out there and is free to use. Sure, it gets things wrong sometimes with obscure movies, but for the vast majority of people who use it as a quick reference it is much appreciated.

R Michael Pyle

PostFri Feb 02, 2018 2:32 pm

silentmovies742 wrote:

I'm not quite sure why the sarcastic remark is aimed at a site that is more comprehensive than any book out there and is free to use. Sure, it gets things wrong sometimes with obscure movies, but for the vast majority of people who use it as a quick reference it is much appreciated.

Because, Sir or Madam, perfection doesn't allow for such errors, and I believe in perfuction.

silentmovies742

PostTue Feb 06, 2018 11:35 am

R Michael Pyle wrote:
silentmovies742 wrote:

Because, Sir or Madam, perfection doesn't allow for such errors, and I believe in perfuction.

Then best you set up your own reference site with the same amount of films as IMDB, for free, and see how far you get.

Return to Talking About Silents