Will Mickey Mouse Finally Enter the Public Domain?

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Gary Newman

PostMon Jan 29, 2018 12:18 pm

LouieD

Re: Will Mickey Mouse Finally Enter the Public Domain?

boblipton

PostMon Jan 29, 2018 12:35 pm

That puts it through 1923.getting it up to Steamboat Willie may take another five years. And then, when that happens, don’t mention Mickey Mouse or Walt Disney in any of the ads, nor show the famous globular profile, which are undoubtedly all trademarked and or so aDisney’s lawyers will argue through at least three levels of appeal, starting with federal court at the other end of the country from you. Juneau is so charming in January.

Bob
If no one listens, then it’s just as well. At least I won’t get caught in any lies I tell.
— Joe Darion

Harlett O'Dowd

PostMon Jan 29, 2018 1:23 pm

I would support an additional extension, so long as the cost for the extension was substantially increased to the point that only folks with deep pockets, like Disney, could justify the cost.

Battra92

PostMon Jan 29, 2018 1:40 pm

Harlett O'Dowd wrote:I would support an additional extension, so long as the cost for the extension was substantially increased to the point that only folks with deep pockets, like Disney, could justify the cost.

I could almost get behind that if, as you said, the cost was stupid expensive and would need to be done on each and only for a limited time. Couple this with all the money going to fund the LoC.

Donald Binks

PostMon Jan 29, 2018 1:44 pm

The U.S. needs to adopt the international standard for copyright term which is the life of the author plus 50 years
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

Spiny Norman

PostMon Jan 29, 2018 2:15 pm

Donald Binks wrote:The U.S. needs to adopt the international standard for copyright term which is the life of the author plus 50 years
And the metric system, while we're at it.

Then if we can get the Brits to drive on the right side of the road then everthing will be perfect.
This is nøt å signåture.™

Donald Binks

PostMon Jan 29, 2018 2:19 pm

Spiny Norman wrote:
Donald Binks wrote:The U.S. needs to adopt the international standard for copyright term which is the life of the author plus 50 years

Then if we can get the Brits to drive on the right side of the road then everthing will be perfect.

There are lots of other countries that drive on the "proper" :D side of the road apart from the U.K. you know....
(Actually, Sweden did change over back I think in the late 1960's - I can imagine it must have been a bit of a nightmare to plan and put into effect).
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,

JFK

PostMon Jan 29, 2018 2:23 pm

Phooey on the international limits.
The USA needs to return protection to a maximum of 56 years.
Why would anyone who loves film and the other arts want it to be
for a length of time any broader than that? Patent protection for drugs is 20 years.
The extension of the copyright protection periods was/is an act of thievery by industry and the government. How can we convince ourselves otherwise?
Think, for example, of how many “lost” or unavailable films
would show up on the market, or online for free, if all films
pre-1962 were public domain (as they would have been under the old law). Think how wonderful it would be if all our pre-1963 newspapers and magazines were searchable at no cost.
Last edited by JFK on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostMon Jan 29, 2018 2:29 pm

Donald Binks wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:

There are lots of other countries that drive on the "proper" :D side of the road apart from the U.K. you know....
(Actually, Sweden did change over back I think in the late 1960's - I can imagine it must have been a bit of a nightmare to plan and put into effect).

Think over here in England it's 70 years to allow rights to the children for a reasonable time.

Harold Aherne

PostMon Jan 29, 2018 5:24 pm

For films, this isn't necessarily as desirable as one may think. Films typically don't have a single author, so the EU copyright law for films recognises the director, the writer of the screenplay, the writer of dialogue, and the composer of music specific to the film to be "co-authors" in a sense. The term of copyright protection is the author's life plus 70 years, meaning that a film won't enter the public domain until 70 years after the *last* member of the aforementioned group has passed away.

To name one example, none of Hitchcock's UK films will become public domain until 2050 at the earliest. See
https://the.hitchcock.zone/wiki/Bootleg_DVDs_%26_Blu-ray_releases

If such a law applied in the US, many early films would be copyrighted for an astonishing length of time. "The New York Hat", issued and copyrighted by Biograph in 1912, lapsed into the public domain in 1940. Under an EU-style law, the film would be copyrighted until 70 years after the death of scenarist Anita Loos -- until 2051. Anything written and directed by D.W. Griffith would just now be entering the public domain.

-HA

Donald Binks

PostMon Jan 29, 2018 5:36 pm

Granted. I was just saying that It would just make things a lot easier if there was a single standard operating world wide.

From what I understand, the U.S., situation is different in that copyright can continue to be extended - so that something may just about end up being copyright in perpetuity.
Regards from
Donald Binks

Thad Komorowski

PostMon Jan 29, 2018 5:45 pm

LouieD wrote:No.

Agreed.

Agnes

PostMon Jan 29, 2018 8:21 pm

JFK wrote:Phooey on the international limits.
The USA needs to return protection to a maximum of 56 years.
Why would anyone who loves film and the other arts want it to be
for a length of time any broader than that? Patent protection for drugs is 20 years.t.

I used to be a Pharmaceutical Chemist. I believe it is even less than that - 17 years. That is why companies tried to milk the "patent pending" as long as possible to keep the shot clock from starting.

I wouldn't mind the copyright continuing thru subsequent generations if they had to make the film available to the general public on a regular basis via home video release, broadcasting on a heavily available channel, ect.

To just bury the film & possibly let it sit with no restrictions, 56 years seems too long.

Heavy restrictions, or let it go public domain!

Agnes
Agnes McFadden

I know it's good - I wrote it myself!

Nick_M

PostTue Jan 30, 2018 5:41 pm

Technically, Steamboat Willie is already in the public domain: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steamboat_Willie#Copyright_status. Hasn't been tested, though.

silentfilm

PostWed Jan 31, 2018 1:11 pm

Congress can barely pass a budget to cover the next month. There is no way that a copyright extension will happen this year.

And even when the early Disney cartoons become public domain, Disney will always have a trademark on the Mickey Mouse character.

WaverBoy

PostWed Feb 07, 2018 12:13 pm

silentfilm wrote:Congress can barely pass a budget to cover the next month. There is no way that a copyright extension will happen this year.

And even when the early Disney cartoons become public domain, Disney will always have a trademark on the Mickey Mouse character.

Doesn't that just mean that new creations by entities other than Disney can't use the character? Would it legally have any effect on a public domain Disney-made cartoon featuring the character?

silentfilm

PostWed Feb 07, 2018 12:18 pm

Due to the trademark, Disney will always have control of the Mickey Mouse likeness. No company or person other than Disney can make cartoons or products with Mickey's character. But his early films would be public domain. You could also use vintage images to promote your usage of the public domain films.

Spiny Norman

PostWed Feb 07, 2018 1:55 pm

Nick_M wrote:Technically, Steamboat Willie is already in the public domain: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steamboat_Willie#Copyright_status. Hasn't been tested, though.
Eventually someone took the self-proclaimed owners of "Happy birthday" to court, didn't they? But that was actually useful.
This is nøt å signåture.™

wich2

PostWed Feb 07, 2018 4:54 pm

radiotelefonia

PostWed Feb 07, 2018 5:41 pm

EL ORDEN, Friday, October 4, 1946, Santa Fe, Argentina

wich2

PostThu Feb 08, 2018 8:19 am

Hmmm...

So, Mighty's secret identity was Mickey?

boblipton

PostThu Feb 08, 2018 8:25 am

wich2 wrote:Hmmm...

So, Mighty's secret identity was Mickey?

You never saw them in the same cartoon, did you?

Bob
If no one listens, then it’s just as well. At least I won’t get caught in any lies I tell.
— Joe Darion

milefilms

PostThu Feb 08, 2018 10:18 am

I think making Mickey Mouse and Disney the villains is pretty micro thinking. There were a number of huge corporations, especially in music, that pushed through the last copyright extension. As noted, Mickey was never in trouble due to trademark.

However, I don't see Congress -- even this one -- extending the copyright any further. The move in the copyright office these past few years has been toward greater access.

And I agree, the European copyright situation makes it harder to obtain rights to a film if they are not owned by a corporation.
Dennis Doros
Milestone F&V

Return to Talking About Silents