Langdon's Three's A Crowd, as it was in France ...

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

radleyas

Langdon's Three's A Crowd, as it was in France ...

PostTue Feb 13, 2018 6:38 pm

Hi all.

I recently acquired a copy of La Film Complet from 1929. This particular issue covers Three's A Crowd. I've only translated 2 pages out of 14 so far, but this magazine paints it as a much different film than I have seen.

Does anyone know if this film was shown with different titles in France? Titles that would make his character seem the sort of man who recites poetry, and is generally NOT AT ALL like the little elf that we all know and love?

I'm curious, as this magazine novelizes the films in such a way as to make it unrecognizable. It's a fascinating little artifact.

Also, was the film released later in France? Given that this magazine is from 1929, I have to figure it was.

I have no place to host photos, so I'm including a link to my instagram post of this magazine.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfCc3qJlwb-/

silentfilm

Re: Langdon's Three's A Crowd, as it was in France ...

PostTue Feb 13, 2018 10:12 pm

I could only get the first photo to link here...

radleyas

PostWed Feb 14, 2018 9:12 am

silentfilm wrote:Image

I could only get the first photo to link here...

Much appreciated. Thank you.

radleyas

PostWed Feb 14, 2018 9:23 am

For the sake of it, here is a small chunk of the translated text. This is supposed to be from the very beginning of the film, as Harry starts his day at work. This is an exchange he has with the boss's wife.

“Here you are, Harry; There was coffee left and I thought it would do you good.”

“Ah! Madame, how good!”

And, affecting an agitated attitude, he buttoned his jacket, put his hand inside, a la Bonaparte, and bowing, sighed, lyrical:

“Ah! What grace and tenderness come together in this delightful flower that is a woman. Madam, on my knees, I thank you for what you have done for me.”

Also, the film name translates as "Daddy for a day", which is actually a rather cute title for a movie that is, let's be honest, not cute at all.

Return to Talking About Silents