Shiraz BFI restoration

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

rudyfan

Shiraz BFI restoration

PostFri Feb 23, 2018 8:30 am

I had preordered the BFI restoration of Shiraz, it arrived yesterday. I took a test drive last night and watched some sections. Wow, the print is stunning. It looks as if it were filmed yesterday. Not a frame of decomposition that I could see. The score by Anoushka Shankar was, naturally, perfect fitting. The locations where the film was shot impressive, if you love moghul architecture, you have so many places for the eye to focus. The film screams for color. Just looking at the princely costumes and saris woven with gold makes me think it must have been a riot of color in real life. The plot does take liberties, from what I caught with history. Does not matter, this is a gorgeous film. So glad I bought it. Cannot wait to dig in and screen the entire film this weekend.

Danny Burk

Re: Shiraz BFI restoration

PostFri Feb 23, 2018 8:38 am

Thanks - I've had it on my Amazon.uk wishlist for awhile. I'll have to add it to the next order.

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostFri Feb 23, 2018 1:38 pm

Saw the trailer for it - looks wonderful. The copy on YT looks poor in comparison to it so will wait to get the DVD as soon as I can...

johnsweeney

PostFri Feb 23, 2018 3:22 pm

It's a wonderful film, and all the stunning locations look a million dollars in the restoration. But it's also a moving story, beautifully acted, and the Anoushka Shankar score is beyond all praise.

DavidWelling

PostSat Mar 24, 2018 1:57 pm

I just got my BFI copy of Shiraz and watched it. WOW! Even though we are only into March, for me this may be the silent release of the year. The print quality is so stunning, my jaw dropped at the first scenes. It looks as if had been shot yesterday. Having seen so many bad prints over the years, along with some great ones, I am stunned at the clarity and contrast to the images. Also, the music by Anoushka Shankar is a perfect fit to the images. Highest recommendation!

Return to Talking About Silents