The Johnstown Flood (1926)

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

donwc1996

The Johnstown Flood (1926)

PostSun Mar 04, 2018 5:25 pm

I'm amazed that this film hasn't been released on DVD as yet. It starred George O'Brien and Janet Gaynor. It's based on a natural disaster and those type of films are generally liked. It occasionally plays at festivals. So why no DVD release? I know it's a Fox film and , no doubt, thats the reason.Other than The Iron Horse, I don't think any of Fox films from this period have had much airing.

Javier

Re: The Johnstown Flood (1926)

PostSun Mar 04, 2018 8:55 pm

I have read so much about this film, but seems there has been no interest about it being released on video so far. One would think George O'Brien and Janet Gaynor be enough on being the lead Actors, to make it to a Blu-ray or DVD release.
"it's a Kafka high, you feel like a bug"

Harlett O'Dowd

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 8:54 am

Javier wrote:I have read so much about this film, but seems there has been no interest about it being released on video so far. One would think George O'Brien and Janet Gaynor be enough on being the lead Actors, to make it to a Blu-ray or DVD release.

It ran at Cinecon 25 or so years ago. It is at the top of silents I wish would get a video release. (But then, I would love to see ALL George O'Brien silents get a video release.)

drednm

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 9:54 am

On my "want to see" list also.....
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com

Agnes

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 2:34 pm

Who played at capitolfest in Rome New York in August of 2011. I went up and my husband came he wanted to go see the Baseball Hall of Fame some things in the area so he said he drive me and leave me at the festival. He wanted to get play jump on getting home Sunday night and asked if I could leave early Sunday and I screeched.

I said that was probably the film I wanted to see the most. So he said okay but he said say goodbye to your friends the intermission before and as soon as you find out if Jenna king or makes it or not you're out the door. I held to that say goodbye to everyone beforehand and as soon as the film was over I ran out the door. I know he give me grief about going back to Capitolfest if I didn't hold her agreement. But come on I really want to see that movie and it was worth it.

And I'm with you guys I don't know why that has never come out on DVD. Famous stars famous story famous real life happening I can't figure out why it hasn't gotten release on disc
Agnes McFadden

I know it's good - I wrote it myself!

Jim Roots

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 3:05 pm

drednm wrote:On my "want to see" list also.....

Moi aussi...

Jim

wich2

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 4:57 pm

For those who have seen it:

The big question with a film about such an event is, do the "money shots" make it?

Is the scope of those sequences, and are the effects, up to the task?

George O'Brien

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 5:12 pm

wich2 wrote:For those who have seen it:

The big question with a film about such an event is, do the "money shots" make it?

Who cares? Janet and George are all the special effects I would require.
"This bar of likker is now a bar of justice!"

donwc1996

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 7:43 pm

George O' Brien and Janet Gaynor were in 3 films together and The Johnstown Flood was the first. Later came The Blue Eagle and their most famous coupling in Sunrise.

drednm

PostTue Mar 06, 2018 9:23 am

Since the film resides at Eastman, that's likely the main reason it's seen no kind of release. I contacted the Johnstown Museum years ago and THEY didn't even have a copy of the film.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com

wich2

PostTue Mar 06, 2018 11:30 am

George O'Brien wrote:
wich2 wrote:

Who cares? Janet and George are all the special effects I would require.

I kinda get that, from your screen name!

Still curious about a little more than just that though, thanks.

-Craig

Harlett O'Dowd

PostTue Mar 06, 2018 1:46 pm

wich2 wrote:For those who have seen it:

I remember being impressed by the special effects - at least as screened on a medium-sized screen. Prolly not up to NOAH'S ARK levels, but respectable for the time period.

robluvthebeach

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 2:52 am

I viewed The Johnstown Flood at Eastman Film Museum and they have a GREAT print and it is really well done and the special effects are surprisingly well done. Janet Gaynor is the second lead, but she definitely has the star making performance.

Agnes

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 8:16 am

If Eastman House has a nice print.....do they have the rights? Could they be waiting a few years for the film to roll out if rights issues & into public domain?

In 2022 would the copyright disappear?

Agnes
Agnes McFadden

I know it's good - I wrote it myself!

Harold Aherne

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 4:35 pm

Agnes wrote:If Eastman House has a nice print.....do they have the rights? Could they be waiting a few years for the film to roll out if rights issues & into public domain?

Agnes

The copyright was renewed by 20th Century-Fox Film Corporation with a filing date of 9 March 1953. The film would have to be licensed from Fox for a video release to take place, and even if it eventually falls into the public domain, a license may still be necessary to access donated materials for commercial use.

--HA

hammerglenn

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 4:42 pm

About 12 years ago at the Johnstown Flood museum they showed a documentary that featured scenes from the silent.

donwc1996

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 6:30 pm

Harold Aherne wrote:
Agnes wrote:If Eastman House has a nice print.....do they have the rights? Could they be waiting a few years for the film to roll out if rights issues & into public domain?

Agnes

The copyright was renewed by 20th Century-Fox Film Corporation with a filing date of 9 March 1953. The film would have to be licensed from Fox for a video release to take place, and even if it eventually falls into the public domain, a license may still be necessary to access donated materials for commercial use.

--HA
I think that you just got to the core of things- Fox has the copyright! I guess the only hope for a release would be if some video company offered fox the right price, it just could get license rights to release a video. Or maybe Fox will see the light and release it. Anyhow, thanks for that info-----

s.w.a.c.

PostSun Mar 11, 2018 9:57 am

I also got to see this at Eastman House, and it was thoroughly engaging and exciting.

A short while later, I interviewed Canadian folk singer Oh Susanna, who wrote a song inspired by the story of the flood, and it became the title track on one of her albums, and she was jealous because she'd been dying to see the film for years and could never find a copy. It'd be great if she could see it one of these days, without having to make a trip to Eastman House.

Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Return to Talking About Silents