THE BUSHER (1919)

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

earlytalkiebuffRob

THE BUSHER (1919)

PostSat Mar 17, 2018 1:18 pm

Watched this baseball movie three days ago, and found it fun although there were the odd confusing moments (which I put down to knowing diddly-squit about the game) as well as one sequence which didn't seem to make sense. I've since read that there were at least two different copies of this film floating around, one of which has some missing footage. Would this explain the gaps / confusion??

Jim Roots

Re: THE BUSHER (1919)

PostSun Mar 18, 2018 8:21 am

Can you give us a sample of the gaps/confusion?

Jim

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostMon Mar 19, 2018 1:48 pm

After Ray goes in (successfully) to pitch in the final game he is then seen batting briefly and then the game finishes with a victory! The confusion was probably my lack of understanding of baseball rules, so perhaps it would make sense to a seasoned fan.

milefilms

PostMon Mar 19, 2018 5:53 pm

Yes, back then, a pitcher always batted. Babe Ruth was originally a pitcher who hit so well, they made him an outfielder. Nowadays, only National League pitchers bat.
Dennis Doros
Milestone F&V

boblipton

PostMon Mar 19, 2018 6:48 pm

And American League Pictcher when playing in World Series games in National League stadia.

Bob
If no one listens, then it’s just as well. At least I won’t get caught in any lies I tell.
— Joe Darion

silentfilm

PostMon Mar 19, 2018 9:04 pm

boblipton wrote:And American League Pictcher when playing in World Series games in National League stadia.

Bob

Regular season games in National League stadiums also...

Jim Roots

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 5:32 am

I don't think that's Rob's question. I think he is wondering why the game ended with the Busher's hit.

I don't remember the details in the movie (it's been years since I watched it), but I'll venture a guess: Busher drives in the run that wins the game in the bottom of the ninth inning.

Rob, in baseball you play nine innings, with the visiting team batting in the top of the inning and the home team batting in the bottom of the inning. If the score is tied when the home team comes up to bat, all it needs is a hit that scores a run, and the game automatically ends with them victorious. There's no need to keep playing, since there's no way the visiting team can get up to bat again and score a run or two.

Jim

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 2:17 pm

Jim Roots wrote:I don't think that's Rob's question. I think he is wondering why the game ended with the Busher's hit.

I don't remember the details in the movie (it's been years since I watched it), but I'll venture a guess: Busher drives in the run that wins the game in the bottom of the ninth inning.

Rob, in baseball you play nine innings, with the visiting team batting in the top of the inning and the home team batting in the bottom of the inning. If the score is tied when the home team comes up to bat, all it needs is a hit that scores a run, and the game automatically ends with them victorious. There's no need to keep playing, since there's no way the visiting team can get up to bat again and score a run or two.

Jim

Yes, of course that makes sense - it just seemed rather quick to me. Although I've seen just a few baseball pictures (HOT CURVES [1930], TAKE ME OUT TO THE BALL GAME [1949], FEAR STRIKES OUT [1957]), few of them seemed to demand a knowledge of the rules, which is presumably why they got shown over here. The nearest I've played to it is the British 'rounders', and I probably assumed there were alternate longer innings as in cricket.

...but please don't ask me any questions on cricket after watching THE FINAL TEST*, as I am just as bad on British sports!

*several years ago I played this film (which could do with a brief prologue identifying the once-famous real players) and was heartily told off by my late partner!

Return to Talking About Silents