Globe Films Info Wanted

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Mitchell Dvoskin

Globe Films Info Wanted

PostFri Mar 30, 2018 2:14 pm

Below is a picture of the staff of Globe Films standing in front of the Oritani Theatre in Hackensack NJ, circa 1926. I am interested in finding any information about Globe Films, who these people were, and what films they produced. Any help would be appreciated.

Hamilton's Grandson

Re: Globe Films Info Wanted

PostSat Mar 31, 2018 5:28 pm

L B Launt was the director/president according to articles in newspapers.com.

Based in Binghamton, NY. Hired local talent via screen tests in cities (Allentown, Reading, Jersey City, and many others) that were chosen to film genre's such as : novelty, short story adventure, drama, and romantic drama. An article indicated that the company was not interested in westerns or sea related themes.

Another article mentions that a title, "The Story Without End 1926" was shown once at Loews Theatre and then pulled from distribution. Some legal issues with financial agreement with theatre?

Anyway if you have access to newspapers.com and/or you know the stakeholders of the company then perhaps they can be identified in your photo.

Good luck,
Dana
Mark Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com
Joseph Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com
Gertrude Brooke Hamilton is on imdb.com

silentfilm

PostSat Mar 31, 2018 7:01 pm

Lewiston in Community Film
Lewiston, Pa. -- Globe Films and the Pastime theater will soon produce a local picture wihich is to be shown at the Pastime and afterwards to be run in nearby towns.
"The Story Without an End" is the name.

-- Film Daily, February 7, 1926

So they were a traveling film company that hired local people to appear in amateur productions that would show locally for a few days. Then they would travel to the next town and shoot the same story in the next town. The actors in your photo are probably locals from Hackensack, New Jersey.

moviepas

PostSun Apr 01, 2018 3:10 am

They also did this kind of film-making in Australia and I saw a couple about early 1978. No idea if they still exist but the collection went to the National Archives(NFSA) after the owner of the collection died suddenly from a heart attack not long after. He did want his collection destroyed on his death because..."I don't want the young thugs of today to be able to see these films". He already had a house fire in another location some years before and one of a kind nitrate silents were lost in that one which may have been deliberate by an unknown. Maybe, maybe not.

Tommie Hicks

PostSun Apr 01, 2018 10:44 am

Globe Films must have had a mobile film laboratory.

Return to Talking About Silents