Research about silent cinema fans - Silent film festivals

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

igorap

Research about silent cinema fans - Silent film festivals

PostWed Apr 18, 2018 10:51 am

Hello, everyone, I am intending to present an academic communication about silent cinema fans, so I would like to ask you guys and girls a question: do you use to attend to silent film festivals like "Giornate del Cinema Muto", the San Francisco silent film festival or others?

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

Re: Research about silent cinema fans - Silent film festival

PostWed Apr 18, 2018 10:56 am

I've attended Cinesation (defunct), Cinevent and Capitolfest.
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

silentfilm

PostWed Apr 18, 2018 11:21 am

I've already answered on Facebook, but I have attended the Kansas Silent Film Festival every year but one since 2003. I've been to Cinecon six times. As for silent film series, I've been to the Niles Silent Film Museum in Fremont once, the BFI once and the Cinema Museum in London once.

wingate

PostWed Apr 18, 2018 12:19 pm

Tomorrow we have the 2 day British Silent Film Festival starting with screenings at my local Phoenix East Finchley,built 1910,and one of the oldest cinemas in the UK.Starts at 10am,so you better start your journey now

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostWed Apr 18, 2018 12:58 pm

Afraid not, although years ago I would attend London's NFT, Everyman and the Academy. Would the Academy count? They had Fairbanks and Keaton seasons, and I saw COLLEGE and SEVEN CHANCES there.

There would also be the occasional silent at the Portsmouth Film Society and Polytechnic as well as GREED at Southampton and BEN-HUR at the London Palladium.

The last showing of a silent I attended was of TERRORS (1929), which I saw with my late partner at the Square Tower, Portsmouth, in 2013...

igorap

PostFri Apr 20, 2018 7:24 am

Thanky you!
I hope more people participate in this survey.

Peg of the PreCodes

PostFri Apr 20, 2018 9:37 am

Last year I went to Capitolfest. I also went to AFI Silver's Silent Cinema Showcase, but that's right outside my hometown.

Brooksie

PostFri Apr 20, 2018 10:29 am

I've attended multiple Cinecons and multiple San Francisco Silent Film Festivals. I also attended Australia's Silent Film Festival for the few years it was in more of a traditional festival format.

(Now that I'm raising a tiny film fan I'll probably be on festival hiatus for a little while ...)

missdupont

PostFri Apr 20, 2018 11:40 am

I've been to Le Giornate Del Cinema Muto twice, SFSFF many times, Cinecon for about 20 years, Niles Essanay's Broncho Billy Silent Film Festival multiple times, and to a silent film screening at the Toronto Museum of ARt.

Jim Roots

PostFri Apr 20, 2018 12:30 pm

missdupont wrote: ... and to a silent film screening at the Toronto Museum of ARt.

??? Do you mean the Art Gallery of Ontario? Or the Royal Ontario Museum? Or the Toronto Film Society?

Jim

missdupont

PostFri Apr 20, 2018 11:36 pm

It had to be one of the Museums but I don't remember, it's been 10-12 years ago.

moviepas

PostSat Apr 21, 2018 12:57 am

I have been to the Melbourne Film Festival twice in my life.

One was to see a joint Australian-Kiwi 1925 silent, The Adventurers of Algy starring London-born Claude Dampier(1879-1955) who was touring at the time around Australia. It was at the heritage-listed Capitol Theatre(one level retained today) with a baroque orchestra on the stage. One reel was missing, that of a Maori wedding in New Zealand and title cards replaced the story for this section. Nice city/town scenes of NZ then. Never heard of it since.
The other was too sessions in the annual event. One was at the Palais Theatre/St Kilda Melbourne(a heritage-listed venue with the largest seating in Australia and dates from my late Mother's birth year 1927. It is across from our Luna Park, an older venue founded by an Americans. JD Williams & the Phillips Brothers in 1912). Here I saw Love Me Tonight(1932) and the director Rouben Mamoulian was in attendance. The print was supposed in 35mm from the BBC/London and had some serious scratching at the start of Reel 2. The audience on this Saturday afternoon was said to be mostly University students and they started laughing as the film started but soon settled down. The other, also a Saturday afternoon event in the season, must have been City Streets(1931) with Gary Cooper & Sylvia Sidney(she appeared in Goldwyn's Street Scene that same year). That screening was at the Melbourne University on the other side of the city.
The double passes I had for these films were courtesy of the Australian Film Institute(AFI) who were involved I thee affairs then.

siriami

PostSat Apr 21, 2018 3:15 am

Here in Scotland we have the annual Bo'ness Silent Film Festival, held in March over 5 days at the town's restored Hippodrome cinema - this year the Friday night Gala screening was Lubitsch's "The Student Prince in Old Heidelberg", ably accompanied by pianist Neil Brand. Previous years have given us "The Patsy", "Beggars of Life", "Stage Struck" and "The Goose Woman", among many others.
I usually attend every year.
Alistair

greta de groat

PostSat Apr 21, 2018 10:21 am

I've been going with my husband to the San Francisco Silent Film Festival for at least the last 20 years, seeing at least 1 film and occasionally going for the whole program. Time and health issues are limiting our time these days, and in general i only make the effort to go out for films that i haven't seen before. The great thing that i miss about getting the whole festival pass is seeing an old favorite, often for the first time in decades, in a great setting with an audience and live music. Because i'm actively watching mostly things that i haven't seen, i see a lot of mediocre films, and it's a delight to revisit something that's really great. Sometimes i need to restore my faith in movies!

I went to the Broncho Billy Festival in Niles for many years, especially when i was also volunteering at the museum. Because the Essanay Studio was local for me, it has a special interest. But again, time and health are interfering, and in addition they are now mostly showing films that i've seen.

I'm one of those folks who will dress up for these festivals, putting on my 20's duds for the SFSFF and 1910s era for Niles.

I've been to Cinecon once, that was intense and great! I'd love to go again, but that's not going to happen any time soon.

greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

Rick Lanham

PostSat Apr 21, 2018 11:43 am

Although I've seen quite a few silent movies in a theater (San Diego, Los Angeles, Tampa), sometimes driving quite far, I've only been to one true film festival. That was Cinecon in 2001. I got to see Kevin Brownlow, Jane Russell, and a few other stars. I met some people from this forum and others were pointed out to me across the room, etc.

I had a great time and I am examining the possibility of attending another festival this year.

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

Roseha

PostSat Apr 21, 2018 8:26 pm

This was a long time ago, but I first became a silent film fan by attending the Silent Clowns series at the 8th Street Playhouse in New York (then also known for repeat showings of the Rocky Horror Show) which showed an extensive series of features by Keaton, Chaplin and Lloyd. There was musical accompaniment by Lee Erwin, or on recording if he wasn't there in person. I first saw Seven Chances there and fell in love with Keaton then.
That was maybe 1979, or 1980. In those days you could see silents in a lot of places around the city, most of those are gone now, but I've seen a lot of others at revival houses, the Museum of Modern Art, and The Film Society of Lincoln Center where I once worked.
- Rosemary

silentfilm

PostSat Apr 21, 2018 9:00 pm

Rick Lanham wrote:Although I've seen quite a few silent movies in a theater (San Diego, Los Angeles, Tampa), sometimes driving quite far, I've only been to one true film festival. That was Cinecon in 2001. I got to see Kevin Brownlow, Jane Russell, and a few other stars. I met some people from this forum and others were pointed out to me across the room, etc.

I had a great time and I am examining the possibility of attending another festival this year.

Rick

That was my first festival also! I even had Kevin Brownlow sit next to me to watch one of the films.

I've also been to the Silent Clowns series in New York once when I was in NYC three years ago. If I lived closer I'd go all the time.

Rick Lanham

PostSat Apr 21, 2018 9:41 pm

silentfilm wrote:
Rick Lanham wrote:Although I've seen quite a few silent movies in a theater (San Diego, Los Angeles, Tampa), sometimes driving quite far, I've only been to one true film festival. That was Cinecon in 2001. I got to see Kevin Brownlow, Jane Russell, and a few other stars. I met some people from this forum and others were pointed out to me across the room, etc.

Rick

That was my first festival also! I even had Kevin Brownlow sit next to me to watch one of the films.

I've also been to the Silent Clowns series in New York once when I was in NYC three years ago. If I lived closer I'd go all the time.

Hi Bruce, yes I met you there (I guess I'm not that memorable). We sat in the same row one day. Kevin was right in front of me one time, I didn't know who he was until he was called up to the stage.

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

igorap

PostSun Apr 22, 2018 8:59 am

Some nice stories here! It will be really helpful. Thanks.

pickfair14

PostSun Apr 22, 2018 12:10 pm

I started going to the Syracuse festival in the early 1980's. Been to the one in Columbus a few times (went for the poster auction).

I've specifically flown to LA over Labour Day 15 or 20 times in the last 30 years for Cinecon. The attraction for me there, is they usually have 2 or 3 films that have just been restored, and are being screened for the first time since being found or restored. Since these are not available to own (I have over 1000 silent films at home) I have to travel to see them.

I went to the San Francisco festival the year Fay Wray was in attendance and to see Wedding March on the big screen.

There is now an excellent Silent Film festival right here in Toronto that's been running a number of years now.

Big screen, live music - can't beat it !
My Mary Pickford Collection: http://www.211university.ca/

Dean Thompson

PostSun Apr 22, 2018 7:26 pm

I've gone to Cinevent for twenty years now with Silents are Golden webmaster Tim Lussier and will always cherish memories of attending a screening of Peter Pan at the Wexner Center with Philip Carli conducting his fine orchestral score that many of you know from the Kino DVD. When Betty Bronson appealed to the audience to clap if we believed in fairies, the Wexner roof just about blew off.

Have been to the San Francisco festival only once, for the screening of Napoleon in 2013. That's a cross-country peregrination I'd love to make again.

maliejandra

PostMon Apr 23, 2018 5:49 am

I've attended Cinevent every year since 2007 (except 2016 because of forced bed-rest), I made it to the final Cinefest and I went to Capitolfest for the first time last year. I kick myself for never having attended Cinesation when it was in Massillon.

Nazimovafan

PostTue Apr 24, 2018 10:31 am

Mrs. Nazimovafan and myself attend the Toronto silent film festival every year. Silent film festivals are our favourite thing and if I were a wealthy bee-keeper I would attend many more.

Jim Reid

PostTue Apr 24, 2018 12:49 pm

I've been to Cinecon in LA 7 times, Kansas Silent Film Festival 8 times, Cinevent in Columbus 4 times and Slapsticon (Arlington, VA) and Cinefest (Syracuse) once each. I've also been involved in quite a few silent screenings locally here in Dallas. That includes providing prints and running the projector for the local theater organ society chapter for the last 15 years.

Arndt

PostWed Apr 25, 2018 12:30 am

I attend the Bonn (Germany) silent film festival every year and report on it here. I have been to The Pordenone Giornate and to the Karlsruhe (Germany) festival once.
"The greatest cinematic experience is the human face and it seems to me that silent films can teach us to read it anew." - Wim Wenders

NotSoSilent

PostFri Apr 27, 2018 2:47 pm

I've attended the Kansas Silent Film Festival for the last six years.

Return to Talking About Silents