Non-Violence in Movies

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

telical

Non-Violence in Movies

PostTue Apr 24, 2018 8:11 pm

Does anyone know of any instances of non-violence in movies? I am looking for scenes wherein characters may have been expected to have exacted some violent revenge but instead did not. Talkies are fine, too.

Daniel Eagan

Re: Non-Violence in Movies

PostTue Apr 24, 2018 9:11 pm

You mean where the hero doesn't shoot the bad guy? Too plentiful to mention, although there's Shenandoah where James Stewart doesn't shoot the soldier who killed his son (Stewart's motives aren't completely pure), Spectre where James Bond doesn't kill Blofeld, Homefront where Jason Statham doesn't kill James Franco (I really should have put "spoiler alert" somewhere), etc.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostTue Apr 24, 2018 9:49 pm

Well, ones with a specific philosophy of non-violence...

all the versions of Destry are built around that.

I reckon it's sort of in Joel McCrea's line in Stars in My Crown, too.

Of course, as with To Kill a Mockingbird, a lot of times someone else in the story uses violence to spare the character who eschews violence from having to make that hard choice.
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

Dean Thompson

PostTue Apr 24, 2018 10:00 pm

I'll go ahead and say Spoiler Alerts here.

In my favorite silent, Henry King's Tol'able David (1921), Luke Hatburn (Ernest Torrence) brutally kills Rocket, the dog of Allan Kinemon (Warner Richmond). Barely containing himself, Kinemon tells Hatburn that he's driving a hack with passengers and mail, but that he'll return.

Had someone killed my dog....

Nearly a century later, at the end of The Railway Man (2013), Colin Firth's British army officer who was tortured as a prisoner of war by a Japanese soldier meets his tormenter many years later and, rather than exact revenge, extends forgiveness.

Return to Talking About Silents