Pairs of silent films suitable for screenings over two days?

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Jeff Rapsis

Pairs of silent films suitable for screenings over two days?

PostMon Apr 30, 2018 6:23 am

This past weekend, I had the privilege of creating live music for Fritz Lang's two 'Nibelungen' films: 'Siegfried' and 'Kriemheld's Revenge.' The first ran on Saturday, and the other on Sunday, for a total of nearly five hours of cinema over two days.

We had a healthy turnout for both parts, and attendees seemed genuinely mesmerized by Lang's vision of tales from Teutonic legends.

So I'm wondering if anyone has ideas for other silent films suitable for back-to-back screenings? I'm thinking of full-length movies that might be too long for a double feature, but would work well as a package over two days.

In terms of Lang, there's also 'Dr Mabuse, the Gambler' (1922), which is also five hours long but can be split into two parts.

There's also 'Zorro' (1920) and its sequel 'Don Q: Son of Zorro' (1925), which actually share running gags with each other. And Valentino's 'The Sheik' (1921) and 'Son of the Sheik' (1926), which show how far film-making advanced in just five years.

Any other suggestions?
Jeff Rapsis
www.jeffrapsis.com

Wm. Charles Morrow

Re: Pairs of silent films suitable for screenings over two d

PostMon Apr 30, 2018 8:11 am

Jeff Rapsis wrote:There's also 'Zorro' (1920) and its sequel 'Don Q: Son of Zorro' (1925), which actually share running gags with each other.

Any other suggestions?

Also, Doug's Three Musketeers along with The Iron Mask,
-- Charlie Morrow

Arndt

PostMon Apr 30, 2018 9:22 am

THE BIRTH OF A NATION (1915) - not PC
INTOLERANCE (1916)
LES VAMPIRES (1915)
FANTOMAS (1913)
JUDEX (1917)
MISS MEND (1926)
GREED (1924)
THE SPIDERS (1919)
THE INDIAN TOMB (1921)
"The greatest cinematic experience is the human face and it seems to me that silent films can teach us to read it anew." - Wim Wenders

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostMon Apr 30, 2018 2:12 pm

SUNRISE (1927), THE RIVER (1928, incomplete) and CITY GIRL / OUR DAILY BREAD (1928)
SEVENTH HEAVEN (1927) and STREET ANGEL (1927) and / or FAZIL (1928)

Hamilton's Grandson

PostMon Apr 30, 2018 4:02 pm

I also vote for Sunrise 1927 and City Girl 1930 (although filmed in 1928, it was released in 1930 with a lost sound version).

Murnau films are impressive.
Mark Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com
Joseph Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com
Gertrude Brooke Hamilton is on imdb.com

Dave Pitts

PostTue May 01, 2018 8:36 am

What a cool OP. It made me think of one of the nicest single evenings I spent watching silents -- a Talmadge sisters double feature, which could have been reapportioned as a two-nighter, with, for instance, a short subject or two added to each sister's feature. I believe the films shown were Lessons in Love with Connie and The Sign on the Door with Norma. What made it extra special was that, since you had to go to festivals to see much of the Talmadges, many in the audience didn't know their work. To think that, in the 20s, there were two sisters, one specializing in tear jerkers and melodrama and the other in romantic comedy, was amazing. Connie's film really pleased this crowd. Norma's was hokey but watchable.
I can imagine a similar two-nighter with comedy giants -- a Keaton night with, say, College or Our Hospitality or Seven Chances, along with one of the pristine shorts (I love The Scarecrow but there are so many). Next night, Harold Lloyd, with The Kid Brother and any of his late teens/early 20s shorts.
Or how about a Lon Chaney double -- one night with a gruesome part, the next Chaney as a 'straight actor'?

Return to Talking About Silents