Colleen Moore - help with early Hollywood time machine

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

SilentEchoes57

PostThu May 03, 2018 10:03 pm

Colleen Moore's 1920 Her Bridal Nightmare is on YouTube. Starting here she walks in front of the same alley Harry Houdini used in The Grim Game (1919) and Keaton used in Cops (1922). https://youtu.be/Z_nY4lA-l4o?t=26m50s Later she appears at an alley across the street where Mary Pickford filmed.

I've written over a dozen posts and tours explaining how more silent films were shot on Cahuenga south of Hollywood Blvd. than at any other spot in town. Colleen filmed many, many scenes on Cahuenga, including a full panoramic shot on Cahuenga between Selma and Sunset, and shots of the alleys used by Keaton, Houdini, Pickford, and Lloyd.

https://silentlocations.wordpress.com/2017/04/30/hollywoods-silent-echoes-2017-fiafflc-tour/

The movie includes scenes filmed at 3, 4, 6, and 8 in this 1921 view.

If anyone has a copy of the film available for scanning, or frame grabs, I'd be very grateful hearing from you. It is an incredible photographic record of early Hollywood, and I'd really appreciate being able to access it.

Thank you so much for any help or advice you can offer - cheers, John

JFK

PostThu May 03, 2018 11:27 pm

Trying to find the location of the "coffee slogan" house
is not made any easier by the fact Mary J Blige recorded a song titled
"Why."

SilentEchoes57

Re: Colleen Moore - help with early Hollywood time machine

PostFri May 04, 2018 12:30 am

JFK - that MJB sign is looking south down Cahuenga from Selma. The same building appears two years later in Keaton's The Goat. The modest building was once the first fire station house in Hollywood, but was the Toribuchi Japanese grocery at the time Keaton filmed there. It's at page 53 of my Keaton book, if you have it. Cheers, John

Return to Talking About Silents