Chaney's The Big City(1928)

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

sepiatone

Chaney's The Big City(1928)

PostFri May 04, 2018 3:00 pm

Apparently this film has survived on a one-inch videotape[?Umatic] or has it? I don't hear any hullabaloo that it survives so my antenna kind of went up.
http://memory.loc.gov/diglib/ihas/loc.m ... fault.html

Brooksie

Re: Chaney's The Big City(1928)

PostFri May 04, 2018 8:21 pm

Are you certain they're not referring to the trailer, which is known to be extant? Multiple sources list the film as lost, and as you say, there'd be more of a fuss over a lost Chaney film suddenly turning up, even if it wasn't London After Midnight. No doubt Jon Mirsalis or another Chaney expert would be able to clarify.

silentfilm

PostFri May 04, 2018 10:04 pm

According to John Mirsalis' web page, the Big City is lost.
http://www.lonchaney.org/filmography/150.html

sepiatone

PostSat May 05, 2018 9:26 am

Brooksie wrote:Are you certain they're not referring to the trailer, which is known to be extant? Multiple sources list the film as lost, and as you say, there'd be more of a fuss over a lost Chaney film suddenly turning up, even if it wasn't London After Midnight. No doubt Jon Mirsalis or another Chaney expert would be able to clarify.

that's what I thought, multiple sources claiming lost, but since the videotape reference is on the Library of Congress database website I wanted to back check and be sure. This in lieu of films such as Cabaret(1927) which was said to be extant but is now listed as lost, and The Great Divide(1925) Alice Terry, which has now returned from lost status with a print discovered in Sweden.

The Blackbird

PostWed May 09, 2018 6:36 pm

Wait, what's this about THE GREAT DIVIDE turning up? Please tell us more!

Keatonesque

PostWed May 09, 2018 7:07 pm

It's currently held by the Swedish Film Institute, which has been restoring films like there's no tomorrow, so perhaps this one is in the pipeline and will see the light of day at a future SFSFF: http://memory.loc.gov/diglib/ihas/loc.m ... fault.html

The Blackbird

PostThu May 10, 2018 4:55 am

Amazing. It sometimes feels like the rediscovery of missing material is getting to be a regular thing to a degree I never would have dreamed likely this deep into the 21st Century. It's enough to make you believe THE BIG CITY and LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT just might turn up after all...

Michael F. Blake

PostThu May 10, 2018 2:21 pm

I always say "never say never," because just when you do you can be proven wrong.

I never thought we'd find anything from RIDDLE GAWNE or TRIUMPH or even THUNDER, but we have. Granted it isn't a lot, but what we have is better than an empty sack.

I am very curious about this film and the information on it. As far as I have known, it is a lost film. When Kevin Brownlow did the Chaney documentary for TCM in 2000, he checked all archives for anything available. THE BIG CITY came up empty.

Jon Mirsalis is much better versed and knowledgeable on what is and is not around, than I am.

Michael F. Blake

Return to Talking About Silents