Camille de Morlhon Dungeon of Despair, Vingt ans de haine?

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Zachv

Camille de Morlhon Dungeon of Despair, Vingt ans de haine?

PostFri May 11, 2018 1:08 am

Hi all--

I recently purchased a 16mm film print which I thought might be Dungeon of Despair (1913)...

"Brevort takes his young bride to his castle which has been unoccupied since the time of the Revolution. There is a legend that parts of the building, built in the time of Louis XIII, were built over dungeons and that in the French Revolution, persons mysteriously disappeared. The young wife, in a spirit of fun, goes to hide in a huge chest standing in a hallway near her room. She steps into it. Its bottom being movable she falls into the dungeon far below. There is a wild search for her in the morning and the young husband, with anxiety distraught, goes to Paris to engage the aid of a detective. David Daniels, sleuth, returns with Brevort and makes a search for the missing wife. The old chest interests him. He steps into it, and like Mme. Brevort plunges through the bottom into the dungeon. Here he finds the girl who is nearly starved. Around her are the skeletons of the unfortunates who here perished. The detective is resourceful and taking his revolver, fires upward through the chest. Brevort hears the report and lowers a ladder to the captives, who climb to safety."

The film I purchased is not the one described above, although is has the same title in English. After some limited sleuthing, I think it is a film called Vingt ans de haine (1914). I'm only guessing on the title here because the film involves the actors listed and indeed takes place over twenty years. The film is not quite what I thought it would be, but it is a weird little drama-- kind of Gorey-esque with poisons and explosives and badminton... and the coloring is nice. The thing is the print cuts off right before the end-- and I'm wondering if the film exists on video somewhere so that I might have the ending printed up.

The print-stock is from the UK, coded 1981, I think it's a reversal stock (KODAK ECI).

If anyone can possibly provide any information regarding this film I would be grateful. Is it available on any video format? Is there a synopsis to refer to? Thanks!

Zachv

Re: Camille de Morlhon Dungeon of Despair, Vingt ans de hain

PostSat May 12, 2018 12:29 pm

I just dug up a brief synopsis of Vingt ans de haine.

"Vingt ans de haine retrace le douloureux calvaire d’une jeune femme obsédée par la poursuite d’un homme. Son amour se change en haine et qui reporte sur la fille, à vingt ans d'intervalle, son ressentiment et son désir de vengeance. Le donjon et ses oubliettes seront le supplice de la jeune femme."

Google-translate: "Twenty years of hate retrace the painful ordeal of a young woman obsessed with the pursuit of a man. His love turns into hatred and brings back to the girl, twenty years apart, his resentment and his desire for revenge. The dungeon and its oubliettes will be the torture of the young woman."

If the film is the same, it could be this print is missing the "dungeon" scene-- I have not timed the print but my guess it's 30 minutes at 24fps.

notremaxnational

PostSun May 13, 2018 5:15 am

The "Gaumont Pathé archives" near Paris have a print of "Vingt ans de haine", which runs at 35 min.

http://www.gaumontpathearchives.com/index.php?urlaction=doc&id_doc=330582&rang=1

Zachv

PostSun May 13, 2018 7:28 am

Ah yes, thank you! The cast list and more detailed description confirm that the film is indeed Vingt ans de haine... much appreciated.

Return to Talking About Silents