first F-word heard in early talkie

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

sepiatone

first F-word heard in early talkie

PostTue May 15, 2018 1:09 pm

High Voltage(1929) is a surviving but curious film directed by Howard Higgin with Carole Lombard, Bill Boyd(Hopalong), Owen Moore and silent vet Phillips Smalley. The scene is a stranded bus load of travelers are snowbound in an Inn or shack and have just gotten a dropoff of food from an airplane.

About 57:24 the dialogue can be "Food, Food...C'mon, fxxk open it up Popoff..."

https://free-classic-movies.com/movies- ... /index.php

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

Re: first F-word heard in early talkie

PostTue May 15, 2018 2:13 pm

I hear what sounds like "forget it," which makes no sense but is probably "mmf, get it."

A friend of mine had the Batman TV movie from 1966 recorded on Beta, early in the day, and we swore we heard Adam West say "you stupid f--k" to, I think, Riddler. When I got the DVD for my son, I checked it. With better fidelity, it was clearly "you stupid thug."

Something else may have slid by somewhere, but it's thought that the first star to say it in a major motion picture was none other than Academy Award Winner Elizabeth Taylor, in Boom (1968).
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

JFK

F-word heard in early talkie

PostTue May 15, 2018 2:28 pm

In another, less-specialized, thread, I noted a possible F Bomb by Robert Williams

Near the film's end (1:11:43), Stew (Robert Williams) waves off the departing Grayson (Reginald Owen) with an audible "F.U."

TheyHadFaces

PostThu May 17, 2018 12:18 am

I don't hear it in either clip.

westegg

PostThu May 17, 2018 6:10 am

Just seems so highly unlikely. I only hear "Laurel."

wich2

PostThu May 17, 2018 8:09 am

Tough to be positive, as the Youtube copy is bad -

- but I think I may hear that "F.U." in PLATINUM.

jcp7701

PostThu May 17, 2018 9:09 am

The Tom Tyler Monogram feature "Honor of the Mounted" (1932) contains a remark uttered about lawman William Dyer's character which must surely have been intended to have been heard as "the old buck," but there is a distinct tone of contempt in which it is uttered that goes beyond the term "old buck", and I don't hear the "b" as much as I do another consonant. Of course, it's not crystal clear. Can't find a link to share, alas.

Jim Roots

PostThu May 17, 2018 2:39 pm

westegg wrote:Just seems so highly unlikely. I only hear "Laurel."

Funny, I only hear "Ollie".

Jim

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostFri May 18, 2018 2:58 pm

sepiatone wrote:High Voltage(1929) is a surviving but curious film directed by Howard Higgin with Carole Lombard, Bill Boyd(Hopalong), Owen Moore and silent vet Phillips Smalley. The scene is a stranded bus load of travelers are snowbound in an Inn or shack and have just gotten a dropoff of food from an airplane.

About 57:24 the dialogue can be "Food, Food...C'mon, fxxk open it up Popoff..."

https://free-classic-movies.com/movies- ... /index.php" target="_blank

Can't recall this as watched it with my late partner Deirdre, who I seem to recall nodded off, then woke up, saying "What's this rubbish?" or words to that effect. Alas, I couldn't really come to Mr Higgin's defence on that one, although the print was none too clever...

Return to Talking About Silents