At the Movies, In the Movies

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

ymotion

Cinema theaters in silent films?

PostTue May 19, 2015 10:11 am

Hi,
Hope you can help me with the following...
I'm looking for silent films that portrait the interior of cinema theaters (something like the famous Keaton's Sherlock). Any suggestions? Hoping for a long list here :-)
Thanks a lot

DShepFilm

Re: Cinema theaters in silent films?

PostTue May 19, 2015 10:45 am

ymotion wrote:Hi,
Hope you can help me with the following...
I'm looking for silent films that portrait the interior of cinema theaters (something like the famous Keaton's Sherlock). Any suggestions? Hoping for a long list here :-)
Thanks a lot

A MOVIE STAR, MABEL'S DRAMATIC DEBUT (both Sennett, both on "Slapstick Encyclopedia" DVD set)
THOSE AWFUL HATS (Griffith)
MOVIE NIGHT (Roach, with Charley Chase)
SHOW PEOPLE (MGM, King Vidor)

Brooksie

PostTue May 19, 2015 10:50 am

The Crowd (1928).

Danny Burk

PostTue May 19, 2015 10:58 am

A COTTAGE ON DARTMOOR - probably the only silent film that features a talkie being shown!

Spiny Norman

PostTue May 19, 2015 12:38 pm

Una tragedia al cinematografo (1913)

This is nøt å signåture.™

BenModel

PostTue May 19, 2015 1:20 pm

Al cinematografo guardate…ma non toccata. (1912) Italy. Print is in Desmet collection at EYE Filmmuseum.
Sign up for my emails at silentfilmmusic.com and get an exclusive link to watch a rare comedy short
Undercrank Productions - rare silents on DVD/Blu available on Amazon
follow @silentfilmmusic on Twitter and on Instagram
Silent Film Music Podcast available on iTunes

Rodney

PostTue May 19, 2015 2:32 pm

There have been previous threads on this topic, including this one.

I thought there was a thread called "in the movies, at the movies," but Nitrateville doesn't let me search for such common terms.
Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"

Donald Binks

PostTue May 19, 2015 2:34 pm

"Man With a Movie Camera" (Russia 1929)
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I was in love with a beautiful blonde one time. She led me to drink. It's the only thing I'm thankful to her for."

Rodney

PostTue May 19, 2015 2:36 pm

And I found that other thread mentioned in the thread that I listed... so you can find that one here.
Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"

Jeff Rapsis

PostTue May 19, 2015 2:39 pm

'A Movie Star' (1916), a Keystone short starring Mack Swain, was screened at this year's Kansas Silent Film Festival and takes place mostly right inside a movie theater of the day. The "one-man-band" supplying the music and sound effects was a highlight!
Jeff Rapsis
www.jeffrapsis.com

Big Silent Fan

PostTue May 19, 2015 8:38 pm

The Italian film "Maciste" (1915) from the studio that gave us "Caberia," presents a look at the "Caberia" film being shown inside an opera house with a full orchestra performing beneath the screen. In addition, the film also shows the inside of a working (glass house) film Studio, complete with sets and cameras inside.

Jeff Crouse

PostTue May 19, 2015 8:53 pm

If it's possible to locate it, check out Charley Chase's short comedy for Hal Roach, The Family Entrance (1925). It features a family's evening at the movies, and their adventures there (e.g., coming in late, fumbling in the dark to find a seat and accidentally sitting on a large patron's lap, winning the raffle for the bag of groceries offered by the movie theater to entice audiences, having to accompany the young daughter back to foyer when she suddenly needs to use the toilet, etc.). It gives a real idea of what movie-going was like in the silent period.

ymotion

PostWed May 20, 2015 3:34 am

Hi all -
Thanks so much for all your comments here. I'm new to the forum and it made my day to see so many people who are willing to help and share their love :-)
I'll try to find a way to watch these films.

BTW, I feel (due to numerous examples you all mentioned) I can be specific here - are there any German/Danish films?
thanks

Salty Dog

PostWed May 20, 2015 9:01 am

Jeff Crouse wrote:If it's possible to locate it, check out Charley Chase's short comedy for Hal Roach, The Family Entrance (1925). It features a family's evening at the movies, and their adventures there (e.g., coming in late, fumbling in the dark to find a seat and accidentally sitting on a large patron's lap, winning the raffle for the bag of groceries offered by the movie theater to entice audiences, having to accompany the young daughter back to foyer when she suddenly needs to use the toilet, etc.). It gives a real idea of what movie-going was like in the silent period.

I haven't seen The Family Entrance, though I sure would like to, but I assume it must have something in common with his 2 later shorts with similar subject matter, Movie Night, his last silent short, and Neighborhood House, his last short for Roach, which was originally intended to be a feature film but was cut down to a short when it did not do well in previews.
Bill Coleman

silentfilm

Re: At the Movies, In the Movies

PostWed May 20, 2015 11:19 am

I've combined the two threads to make it easier to find examples of movie theater scenes in films...

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostMon May 09, 2016 2:22 pm

Watching WOMAN OF TOKYO (1933) last night, I thought something had gone wrong as up came title cards for IF I HAD A MILLION (1932)! It turned out that two of the characters were in a cinema, with the Lubitsch-Laughton-raspberry scene being played. One wonders if Ozu had seen A COTTAGE ON DARTMOOR (1929), as here he uses a silent scene in a talkie within a silent movie. No Bronx cheer, though...

Rollo Treadway

PostMon May 09, 2016 4:20 pm

A Reckless Romeo (1917)

Much like Stan and Ollie in Sons of the Desert, Roscoe Arbuckle's sins come back to haunt him as they've been captured by the newsreel camera.

silentfilm

PostSun Aug 06, 2017 2:42 pm

I just saw this last night. In Two Guys from Milwaukee (1946), Prince Henry (Dennis Morgan) steals Jack Carson's girl (Joan Leslie) for the day. The prince is a big Lauren Bacall fan, so they go see The Big Sleep (1946). They don't get to see the whole film, because Carson finds them and attempts to sit next to them. Carson makes such a ruckus that the theater manager Franklin Pangborn has to have him removed.

MaryGH

PostSun Aug 06, 2017 3:01 pm

What about live theatre performance in a silent film?

"Phantom of the Range" (1928) is a good example here (yep I just had to mention it :D)
Petition: Turner Enter./Warner Bros: Please digitalize Tom Tyler's FBO silent film westerns

http://bit.ly/2ueCvHe
---
Aventuras de Tom Tyler

http://triggertomblog.blogspot.com/
Previous

Return to Talking About Silents