THE ENEMY (1927) / Lillian Gish & Fred Niblo

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Keatonesque

THE ENEMY (1927) / Lillian Gish & Fred Niblo

PostMon May 21, 2018 1:28 am

I could find no topic regarding this film, so better late than never. While it seems the final reel may forever be missing, this remains an acclaimed late silent with Gish and directed by Niblo. It's also the only Gish feature from the 20s I've yet to see, which admittedly means a lot of anticipation and high hopes it will one day undergo a restoration along with her late silent masterpieces. Has anyone here had the chance to see a screening of this in recent years? If so, how was the print quality?

silentfilm

Re: THE ENEMY (1927) / Lillian Gish & Fred Niblo

PostMon May 21, 2018 6:39 am

Ralph Forbes and Lillian Gish

Gish and Forbes

Keatonesque

PostMon May 21, 2018 3:26 pm

This was actually the final silent film that Lillian Gish made, as it was in fact shot after The Wind, though released before.

Survival status: A print exists in the Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer film library [incomplete (missing last reel)].

At the 3:00 mark below, there are roughly four minutes from early in the picture. Who did the score, by the way?

penachristina

PostMon May 21, 2018 8:33 pm

Hello i have a dvd copy of annie laurie the whole movie it just has like video counter numbers on the bottom of the screen and no score and i have the enemy it just doesent have the ending they are not perfect but watchable I dont remember were i got them from

Keatonesque

PostMon May 21, 2018 9:18 pm

Many bootleg copies of such films exist. In any case, I hope this one gets its moment in the sun. Perhaps at a future edition of the San Francisco Silent Film Festival. The score in the clip is orchestral, but no information exists on who composed it. Alas, I am intrigued!

Return to Talking About Silents