Jackie Coogan

Open, general discussion of silent films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Danny

Jackie Coogan

PostWed May 23, 2018 8:18 am

Has there been any discussion about the silent films of Jackie Coogan? I've seen The Kid (1921), Oliver Twist (1922) Ragman (1925). But there are so many more. He was such an interesting little actor. The one I'm longing for is Old Clothes (1925) with Joan Crawford. Does this exist?

What is the survival rate of the rest of Coogan's work?

Danny

Sergius

Re: Jackie Coogan

PostWed May 23, 2018 9:59 am

I watched My Boy (The Kid cash-in from 1921) last week. Probably too sentimental, and too derivative, for some tastes but I quite enjoyed it. The performances elevated it a couple of notches at least, especially Coogan's.

The film contained quite a lengthy but not-very-comedic bathing scene (Coogan) which, because of the way it was shot, I actually found slightly uncomfortable. That sounds ridiculous, I know, and I appreciate the problem is not the film's but mine, or at least the times we live in.

But it did make me think about how that kind of scene, comedic or otherwise, would be unlikely to make it into a film these days. And how our attitudes (as audiences) have changed towards how children *should* be presented on screen.
In that, a modern film, say, about a kid who gets possessed by a malignant spirit and goes on a blood-drenched gore-spree in his/her local neighbourhood, armed with a chainsaw and various garden implements, would probably be seen as an acceptable conceit for a movie today. I would have thought so anyway, post-Exorcist and all. But a kid playing innocently in a bathtub - less so.

Danny Burk

PostWed May 23, 2018 10:02 am

I just checked the LOC list. Survival rate looks surprisingly good - many are in US archives, and a couple are in Russia. Searching under his name, the only two that show as lost are BUGLE CALL and BUTTONS, both 1927.

Oddly, on the LOC list, neither he nor Joan Crawford are listed among the cast on OLD CLOTHES. It comes up when I search the title, and it exists complete. Looks like Warners has a print; it's not showing elsewhere. I didn't check to see whether there are other Coogan titles that don't come up via a "Jackie Coogan" name search.

silentfilm

PostWed May 23, 2018 11:17 am

Sergius wrote:The film contained quite a lengthy but not-very-comedic bathing scene (Coogan) which, because of the way it was shot, I actually found slightly uncomfortable. That sounds ridiculous, I know, and I appreciate the problem is not the film's but mine, or at least the times we live in.

I don't know, there are still some clueless filmmakers out there...
http://ew.com/movies/2018/05/22/show-dogs-grooming-sexual-abuse/

sherry

PostWed May 23, 2018 1:05 pm

What's the status of DADDY (1923)? According to some sources, it's a lost movie but I've read somewhere that it survives?

Danny Burk

PostWed May 23, 2018 5:43 pm

sherry wrote:What's the status of DADDY (1923)? According to some sources, it's a lost movie but I've read somewhere that it survives?

LOC says it survives complete in 35mm, held by UCLA and an Italian archive.

JFK

JACKIE C00GAN

PostWed May 23, 2018 6:20 pm

Click poster to Watch On Y0UTUBE
Not too bad to be featured on the poster of his penultimate effort.
Raúl Juliá Griffin O'Neal Desi Arnaz (last film) Teri Garr Joan Hackett (last film) Gabriel Dell AND Huntz Hall
Elizabeth Daily M. Emmet Walsh Hal Williams Harry Anderson

Smari1989

PostThu May 24, 2018 4:14 am

This may have been posted before here, and it's not really what the thread is about, but here's an audio interview with Jackie from 1939, when he was 25.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w9VQpZ1xoM

Last edited by silentfilm on Fri May 25, 2018 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Embedd YouTube link
My WEBCOMIC, Ticklish Town: http://www.ticklishtown.com

syd

PostThu May 24, 2018 6:08 pm

Jackie Coogan could have been a one hit wonder with The Kid and
never heard from again. His career continued, however, at the same
popularity level to the end of the silent era.

Daddy 1923 -- moving image. UCLA - complete

The Bugle Call 1927 -- moving image. LOST

Buttons 1927 -- moving image. LOST

A Boy Of Flanders 1924 -- moving image. GOSFILMOFOND - complete

Little Robinson Crusoe 1924 -- moving image. G-FOND - complete

Trouble 1922 -- moving image. G-FOND - complete

Long Live The King 1923 -- moving image. G-FOND complete

The Rag Man 1925 -- moving image. MGM archive

Oliver Twist 1922 -- moving image. Archive: Cineteca Del Friuli (Gemona) [Itg], Gosfilmofond Of Russia (Moscow) [Rur], Library of Congress (Washington) [Usw], UCLA Film And Television Archive (Los Angeles) [Usl], Steven Spielberg Jewish
Film Archive (Jerusalem) [Ils], BFI/National Film And Television Archive (London) [Gbb

Peck's Bad Boy 1921 -- moving image. Archive: George Eastman House (Rochester) [Usr], Library of Congress (Washington) [Usw], Museum Of Modern Art (New York) [Usm], Filmmuseum (Amsterdam) [Nla], UCLA Film And Television Archive (Los Angeles) [Usl], Academy Film Archive (Beverly Hills) [Usf]

My Boy 1922 -- moving image. Archive: Archives Du Film Du CNC (Bois d'Arcy) [Frb], Library of Congress (Washington) [Usw], Filmmuseum (Amsterdam) [Nla], Wisconsin Center For Film And Theater Research (Madison) [Usc], Cineteca Italiana (Milano) [Itc], Cinematheque Royale de Belgique (Bruxelles) [Beb], UCLA Film And Television Archive (Los Angeles) [Usl], Academy Film Archive (Beverly Hills) [Usf], Pacific Film Archive (Berkeley) [Usb], Filmoteca Española (Madrid) [Esm], George Eastman House (Rochester) [Usr], Filmoteca De Catalunya (Barcelona) [Esb], Cinematheque Francais (Paris) [Frc]

Circus Days 1923 -- moving image. Archive: Archives Du Film Du CNC (Bois d'Arcy) [Frb], Gosfilmofond Of Russia (Moscow) [Rur], Filmoteca Española (Madrid) [Esm], Filmoteca De Catalunya (Barcelona) [Esb]

Johnny Get Your Hair Cut (1927) was shown at a classic film festival. There used to be a review
of it on IMDB by the infamous F. Gwynplaine McIntyre.

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostFri May 25, 2018 1:14 pm

I seem to recall BUTTONS being scheduled for a season of child star / themed films at London's NFT in the late 1970s. Saying that, some were unconfirmed (the bookings, not the children), but it does seem odd that a non-extant film should have been booked, although the showing of PENROD AND SAM (1923) I was due to attend was replaced by the Pickford LITTLE ANNIE ROONEY...

Return to Talking About Silents